Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Orange Five 2015 MK2
  • robowns
    Free Member

Anyone got one of these with the straight top tube? What are your thoughts?

I’ve never had a Five but I am considering one. Does anyone have any pics of theirs?

catvet
    Free Member

Long slack and low, in fact one of the slackest 140 trail bikes on market.
    Mine is as only bike, so does everything, antur stiniog, Revolution bike park, Cannock, Dales, Mac Forrest Eastridge,
    Unless you can gap 30 foot ( Harry Heath) or loop it (phill atwill), the bike is better than most riders out there!!
    5’10” and ride medium, poss had large.

skydragon
    Free Member

Built mine up from a frame a few weeks ago, was on a Canyon Spectral AL before. Absolutely love it, longer/slacker really works. Maybe best to view it as a different bike to earlier generations of Fives.

Fitted a DB air shock and find the suspension performance is great, both pedalling and on Gnar. I was expecting the single pivot rear end to be mediocre after all I had read on Fives, but my experience is the opposite.

5ft 11″ and have Large frame, fits great.

skydragon
    Free Member

(Colour is Atomic Orange and cables have since been routed properly 🙂 )

roverpig

Looks good.

I see they’ve dropped (the classic) neon orange now. So which is closer to the old neon orange colour, Fizzy or Atomic ?

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve got an older 2011 model Five and if I was in the market for a new bike (current one refuses to die) I’d get one in a heartbeat. Great bikes for the type of riding I do, and very versatile (similar to many modern bikes I guess).

wl
    Free Member

Just done three days riding a demo bike – medium size. Rode everything from 30-mile Pennine xc through to silly steep cheeky stuff in the woods of Calderdale. The bike is mint: a proper all-rounder. I have a 2013 Five already so I’m looking to upgrade. New Five keeps all the stuff I like about the 26″ version (nimble, fun, carries speed well, just works) but adds bigger wheels, stiffness and extra length, so it’s more solid and stable. Nice and slack, too. 140mm is plenty when it’s delivered like this. Great bike for the Lakes or Alps, too.

andybrad

hmm interesting. have you compared it to a modern linkage bike?

robowns
    Free Member

Part of the allure for me is that I don’t want to mess around with replacing a million bearings, part of the reason I’ve solely ridden hardtails for the past 3 years.
    Anyone else got one with pics?

catvet
    Free Member

@ andybrad
    Yep lots and people get very hung up on modern linkages, back wheel goes up and down on most, none are perfect as otherwise every bike manufacturer would use it!!
    Geometry probably more important, and Orange are well ahead of the curve at present.
    Depends what you want, eg Santa Cruz bearings lifetime free, but need mechanic to sort £100 and it will be 4 days before can sort it!! I see it all time with multi link bikes watching guys at Goldtec/ BETD fix countless seized multi pivots!!
    Need sorting Every 2 months if bikes are ridden hard, most people don’t even realise the bearings are shagged keep on riding and damage frame/swingarm, doesn’t take long with UK weather.
    20 mins and £15 bearing ( which are a decent size not skateboard bearings) on my Five.
    http://www.mtb-mag.com/en/tested-orange-five-pro-27-5/
    But each to their own

deviant
    Free Member

I have…test rode one back to back with Giant’s DW/Meastro link….settled on the Giant (Trance) for no other reason than the deal was too good to pass on financially….i have no problem with single pivot designs having had a Saracen Ariel in recent years.

The Orange design is good in that when you brake and/or the suspension gets working the bike lowers itself (squats) and the rear wheel path is up and out…in other words the wheelbase lenghtens which gives great stability, it becomes longer and lower when used in anger….whats not to like?!

I’m not good enough that the design will ever hold me back when compared to more ‘refined’ designs on the market….i ride for fun and the bike was fun, massively so….so much that my DH build will be based on their new 324 frame.

catvet
    Free Member

So to follow on
    Basically in 2 months in UK conditions the modern multi pivot ilinkage is longer working correctly as the designer intended as the bearings are shagged/ seized!!
    Not clever

wrecker
    Free Member

Basically in 2 months in UK conditions the modern multi pivot ilinkage is longer working correctly as the designer intended as the bearings are shagged/ seized!!

No disrespect but this is simply not true in the slightest.

andybrad

agreed. ive had linkage bikes last 18 months before they died.

catvet
    Free Member

Cos you ain’t looked at the bearings, that’s why !!

Goldigger
    Free Member

My anthem bearings lasted 4 years, before I replaced them.
    Only replaced them due to creaking, which didn’t go.
    Used in all sorts of mud and gloop.

On the other hand I also have a 5..no issues yet but its only a year old.

skydragon
    Free Member

yes, just upgraded from a Canyon Spectral AL, I’d say the new Orange Five beats it hands down.

Part of the allure for me is that I don’t want to mess around with replacing a million bearings

Me too. I was getting through 2 sets, if not 3 sets of frame bearings a year on the Spectral.

I’m not good enough that the design will ever hold me back when compared to more ‘refined’ designs on the market….i ride for fun and the bike was fun, massively so.

+1

andybrad

i did, every 6 months. in comparison the five ones lasted about 14 months.

andybrad

interesting skydragon. im considering swapping my 2013 five for a spectral.

what didn’t you like about it? what does the five do better?

chestrockwell

I did (Santa Cruz) and much preferred the 5.

skydragon
    Free Member

nteresting skydragon. im considering swapping my 2013 five for a spectral.

what didn’t you like about it? what does the five do better?

Bearing in mind I’m an intermediate level rider and not a Gnar-god 🙂

The Geometry on the 2015 Mk2 Five makes it both confidence inspiring and a far more capable machine than my 2014 Spectral IMHO.

– Longer reach, better for me
    – Slacker, more confidence inspiring and better for descents
    – For me the rear end works better than the spectral (maybe down to the DB Air shock, but either way it’s way better) by better I mean the ability to soak up travelling over rock gardens etc with ease, as well as good small bump sensitivity. Pedals well on climbs as well.
    – Simplicity (as posts above ref bearings)
    – It seems to ride and respond better when pumping down a trail, or round berms (if that makes sense)

I’d try a latest Five model before you buy, especially if you liked your 2013 Five

wrecker
    Free Member

I have my lbs check them regularly. No probs 2yrs plus. Mostly riding in Wales too. Some people don’t look after their kit.

catvet
    Free Member

Ok but do you or LBS remove seals and look at bearing quality visually or just spin them and see what they feel like?
    I have pulled the bearing seals off after 2 months and was amazed at the surface changes, not just on a Five but also on a multi pivot.
    Mate runs SC 5010, just replaced all bearings on lower link as shagged after 7 months, again used as only trail bike irrespective of condions, he is ex WCup DH er, so it gets well used and abused, and it was reckoned that was quite sometime too late!!

dirtydog
    Free Member

In the 32 ring the older models pedal as well as anything and better than many ‘modern linkage’ bikes, have a look at the anti squat figures on linkagedesign, no reason to think much has changed on that front.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ok but do you or LBS remove seals and look at bearing quality visually or just spin them and see what they feel like?

Not being funny but my LBS mechanic has forgotten more about bikes (and indeed riding, unless you’ve won XC, DH and enduro titles; I certainly haven’t) than you or I will ever know. If he says the bearings are fine, they’re fine.

coogan
    Free Member

So to follow on
    Not clever

Deary me, some of the comments on here get better every week.

rickon
    Free Member

I have pulled the bearing seals off after 2 months and was amazed at the surface changes, not just on a Five but also on a multi pivot.

You need to ride bikes more.

robowns
    Free Member

Ended up building one of these. Only been out for a 10 mile ride this morning before work, but feels decent. Doesn’t weigh a great deal more than the steel HT I stole the parts from.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

God I loved my five. These look beautiful.

catvet
    Free Member

@ Rickon
    Yep I ride a lot Dude, in fact so much I test proto framesets and bikes !!

Robowns bike looks great

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

One day aliens will come and scan this thread. And realise that it encapsulates everything that is STW.

andyg1966

I’m looking at a new five to upgrade my 2011 Five will build as frame, fork(already got) and wheels and keep all the components.

Can’t decide on a SC Heckler Frame (£1299) or a Five (£1600)

Heckler is 150mm travel vs 140 and cheaper.

gelert
    Free Member

Just get the new Five. You will not regret it.

spookydan
    Free Member

I rode an Orbea Rallon back to back with an Orange Alpine 160 at the weekend, and I’m trying a five mk2 this weekend based on my impressions.

So the Orbea is a modern multi linkage bike with great reviews. It has a concentric rear pivot so is essentially a linkage driven single pivot with less brake feedback. I’m not worried about bearings, good bearings like enduro max will last (I have experience of them on my nukeproof mega), and worst case you might wear your shock/linkage hardware but thats all easily replacable and not expensive.

But I tell you what, in this particular case you don’t gain much from all the complication. The leverage ratio is still linear so depends as much on the shock as an orange, the main pivot is at a similar height relative to the chain so pedalling is no different, and there’s still noticeable stiffening on the brakes.

When I jumped on the orange I was amazed at how easily the rear wheel gets out of the way on rocky trails (I was riding in the peaks). I can only put this down to the fore/aft position of the main pivot. Having a long swingarm might not make for such a stiff frame, but I’d take that any day for the way it keeps speed and floats over rocks.

Another strange thing was that as soon as you pick up a little bit of speed the orbea’s short chainstay (at 420mm long) didn’t feel noticeably more playful than the alpine 160 (at nearly 440mm long). I didn’t ride many switchbacks and I’m sure you’d notice the length then but in terms of having fun on the rough stuff there was nothing to lose.

So this weekend I’ll be trying a five, hoping that it will ride like the alpine 160 on the way down, and that the slightly steeper head angle and shorter back end will be more controlled on the steep and techy bits (up and down).

takisawa2

Always wanted to try a Five, so bought one of the last of the Mk1’s back in February. It has way more ability than I do. On trips to BPW I’m normally duelling with a mate on his Bronson, & there’s very little between us. Comfortably in the top 100 according to his Strava record.
    Its not my main bike, but when I do ride it its bloody great. I love the simplicity of it. The new one has grown on me but I’m not a fan of the straight top tube. They are very nice close up though.
    Part of me wishes I’d gone for the Alpine though. 😀

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

What are people’s thoughts on this compared to the new Alpine 160?

I need to replace a too big bike (finally admitted it to myself) and have the option of a full 26″ Alpine, a Alpine (2016) frame or a Mk2 Five frame.

I ride the peaks and try to do a few trail centres each month.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oh and Robowns, is that mountain mint?

joeegg
    Free Member

I had 3 Oranges,last one a 5,before swapping over to a Giant Reign.
    Without a doubt for me,the Reign pedalled better.The Reign just felt far more enjoyable to ride.I changed the linkage bearings after about 4 years just as a matter of routine rather than a problem.
    Its impossible to compare bikes unless the specs,especially the fork and shock,are pretty much identical.My 5 had a bolt thru’,while the Reigns was q/r.Big difference on extreme stuff.The only time the Orange felt better was in a straight line downhill and that was solely the fork.
    I’d say test ride as many bikes as you can before plumping just for one bike due to its ” reputation”.It was a costly mistake for me.

chris85
    Free Member

“andybrat – Member 

agreed. ive had linkage bikes last 18 months before they died.

POSTED 5 MONTHS “

You cannot be riding it hard or enough then.. Maybe just round your local trail centre 😆

I’ve had multi linkage bikes before, lappieres, specialized, kittyproof all been shite in this shit weather country, constantly changing them and yeah I reckon most riders don’t even realise their bearings are seized to #@%& while they’re more than happy pootling around there favourite trail centre, bless em 😆
    Seriously though, get an orange if you want a solid no hassle bike that’ll take on and feel better than most if not all multi complicated linkages and bullshit endurotastic so called mountain bikes… The five is alive aye men. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five 2015 MK2’ is closed to new replies.