Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Orange Five 16" the right size for me? Im short!
  • freechdogg
    Free Member

Im looking at getting an Orange Five but im not sure on sizes!

Im only 5’4″ and wanted in anyone knows if a 16″ frame would be suitable. And what sort of set up would be ideal? Thanks!

legend
    Free Member

Probably gonna depend on your proportions. My Mrs (5’5″) is happy on my 16″, but even happier on her 14″

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ on a 16″ and wouldn’t want it any smaller. Feels about on the limit for me but I came off a medium Blur 4X which was pretty small. The Five is a cm longer in the TT, same standover but 2″ longer wheelbase. Thats with a 70mm stem, 780mm bars and a non-layback Reverb though. A 50mm stem would bring it pretty close to being good for you I’d say.

You really need to have a go on one…

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and I ride a 16″ frame as well. It’s the reach that’s going to be where any problems might lie. The curved top-tube ones have miles of standover, so compare the reach between the 14″ and the 16″ and any previous frames you’ve been comfortable on. I do use a 65mm stem on mine, I find it’s a good compromise between climbing and descending positions.

freechdogg
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the advice!
    Also would shorter crank arms make any difference at all?? 🙂

freechdogg
    Free Member

“Bump

raisinhat
    Free Member

Shorter crank arms might have a fractional difference in fit, but you’re talking about a few cm, something easily adjusted with seatpost height.

As for riding with them, shorter cranks allow for faster spinning, but I honestly don’t know how much difference there is. Sheldon Brown says that different crank lengths make little difference in actual riding, but other people will have their own opinion.

thesquaredog
    Free Member

I am 5’5 1/2″ and test rode both the 14 and 16. The 14 was way too small!

jwt
    Free Member

Five foot five and twenty nine inside leg, ride a sixteen inch frame (Five and a 4-5-6) fit is fine.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Shorter crank arms won’t make much/any difference. The biggest difference they’ll make is possibly fewer rock strikes. I’ve found myself whacking the cranks loads more on the Five than I used to.

Still doesn’t detract from the fact that its every bit as good as all the hype said it was going to be. Similar angles to my (near) perfect Blur 4X but a touch longer in reach and wheelbase = flippin brilliant.

freechdogg
    Free Member

Great, thanks loads! 🙂 I guess i should try and test both, just hard finding the time atm! 16 sounds like it will probably be good.
    Cant wait to get my hands on one now! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five 16" the right size for me? Im short!’ is closed to new replies.