Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Orange county
  • Terrydactyl

As luck would have it, I have a weekend to ride in California, I fly in to LA on friday night and have to be at a convetion centre at Anaheim in orange county on the monday morning.

Its going to be mid November.

So, where do I ride?

Bear in mind I shall have to hire a bike?

never been to the west coast before.

ourmaninthenorth

Well, Anaheim is in the LA sprawl, so probably not round there.

There's probably somewhere down the road near Laguna Beach. If there isn't, you can always hang out there looking at the rich people.

Terrydactyl

Well i was gonna hire a car and could drive away from LA any where really within 100 mile radius?

qwerty
    Free Member

hire one of these

uplink
    Free Member

I'm slightly worried about the apparent lack of a front brake on that

scaredypants

Only ever been over there in summer, but I could suggest you some routes in San Juan Capistrano / Lake Forest area – maybe 30-60+ min drive away

The Laguna park area is v small, but at least one trail in there is "legendary/iconic" (Telonics). Quite steep on at least one side of the hill.

or try:

http://www.socalmtb.com/

http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php

Also, I think Anaheim's near Tustin – which has a supposedly great bike shop called The Path. Never been there either

BluePalomino
    Free Member

I'm lucky that Mrs Palomino is from The OC! so i have ridden a few times there. There is some v good riding (innuendo invite!). Check out an old post at for a few pics from the Old San Juan trail. ALso localinfo here and also here..
    Also there is interesting riding at Aliso Park/Aliso Viejo just north of Laguna Beach. I totally recommend the San Juan Trails – great riding and scenery. Local info (and best bike hire imo – Specialized full sussers) at Rock N Road Cyclery in Mission Viejo (near Laguna). Laguna Cyclery stock &supposedly rent Yeti & Maverick but they prefer to rent out KHS hard tails – you could try them though.
    Also, i'm guessing you should check local knowledge on where might be too hot at the moment. Oh yeh watch out for rattlesnakes!

Surfr
    Free Member

As a kid I used to think that Orange Bikes were from Orange County. It was only recently, on re finding mountain biking that I realised my error!

😳

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to admit that.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

oh you are there in November! heat will be bearable then. nice.

Terrydactyl

Cheers BluePalomino, San juan looks great!

Rattlesnakes?

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Rattlesnakes – you really may see some, but as they say 'they are more scared of you… etc'. Best are the hummingbirds. I'm thinking i wont mention the mountain lions… hehe… seriously rare, though there are local stories.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

do NOT attempt to talk to the locals

i met a few OC girls last year in China and they were the most confusing things ever. They LOOK human, in fact they LOOK like very appealing humans but get up close and they just make this weird noise, it's kind of like speaking but much higher pitch and made up of complete nonsense.

The men were of a similar ilk.

one of the girls stood next to the large (huge) banner next to the venue and asked me if there were any Pandas in the zoo. The banner read (in 12ft high letters) 'Beijing Blue Zoo' and then in slightly smaller letters 'Aquarium' and was covered in pictures of fish.

scaredypants

I've seen rattlesnakes & tarantulas on the trails in orange county (& I've only done about 40 rides in total)

Terrydactyl

Tarantulas? Rattlesnakes? Lions?

I need protection

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that's the one that asked me about the pandas i swear it

BluePalomino
    Free Member

they just make this weird noise, it's kind of like speaking but much higher pitch and made up of complete nonsense

Yep that'll be Mrs Palomino 🙄 And you forgot to mention they make the noise loudly.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Orange county’ is closed to new replies.