Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Orange Clockwork – worth a go or steer clear?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

I stupidly sold my 29er (Charge Cooker) earlier this year and now want another one. I’m tall and it worked for me. I’m trying to do it on a budget that won’t end in divorce and have seen a cracking deal for a Orange Clockwork, I want one but happy to listen to any stories people have good or bad. Also thinking about running it with a pair of X-fusion slides 120mm, good or bad idea? Thanks

slowboydickie

My mate likes his (he is 6’4″ on an XL) and runs with a 130 rev. It is light and very capable.

rickt
    Free Member

What size frame you after ?

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’m after Xl. Good news that your friend likes it dickie I am tempted by I must say!

rickt
    Free Member

What price is the bike you have seen?

Also… do you have much in your spares bin ?

teadrinker
    Free Member

The Frame is £150 and I’m building from scratch. I should be able to get a full build with SLX drivtrain/brakes and hope wheels for near the £1k mark.

rickt
    Free Member

I was going to say you can get the frame for £150-

or – you can get this Clockwork S for £850 –
    Rock Shox Recon Silver 120mm Solo Air Maxle Forks, Shimano Deore/SLX 10 spd, Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Discs. Full Manufacturers Warranty

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/offers/

or this for £699

Rock Shox XC30 100mm Lockout Forks, Shimano Acera/Deore 9spd, Deore Hubs on Mavic TN119 Rims, Shimano Hydraulic Discs. Full Manufacturers Warranty.
    New

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve just built one myself yet to do much mileage on it, but so far feels comfy and “light-ish” however there isn’t much tyre room out the back, I fitted a 2.25 smorgasbord (measures the same as a 2.25 ardent) and it rubs the frame under power.
    I’ve spoken to orange who suggested a mountain king 2.2 so have one on order

warns74
    Free Member

Hi teadrinker,

I just happen to be the aforementioned mate of slowboydickie and can confirm he is 100% right….I absolutely love my clockwork!
    I built it up with mostly XT and Rockshox Rev and absolutely love it. It’s light, fast, very capable (despite being ridden by me) but most of all it’s fun. Ive ridden it on everything that Ive taken my Enduro down and it pretty much takes it all in it’s stride.

Best of all, in XL it looks like a “normal” bike!

ElShalimo

Looks great

pickle
    Free Member

That looks well nice

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Love mine. Very comfy for longer rides.

My original frame (Nov 2012) developed a crack on the driveside chainstay, but Orange replaced the frame.
    Newer frames have much better cable routing and the rear brake side of the frame has been beefed up. Feels a fair bit stiffer.

I’m 6’4″ and ride a large with a long seatpost. The XL felt like riding a barge. Just couldn’t get the front end up. Really recommend that you try both sizes.

Love it almost as much as my Orange Prestige that I had years ago.

bellefied
    Free Member

I’m also a convert – I’m 6’2″ and ride a large clockwork s (120mm recons), haven’t done any tweaks to it yet, but its been a revelation – absolutely love it. My only issue is that I haven’t had time to get on it recently. 🙁

warns74
    Free Member

In terms of keeping the build costs down (and the wife happy) definitely worth a look at the groupset deals at Merlin (e.g. SLX with brakes). I also noticed the MT66 wheelset which got a good write up in MBR this month was on offer for £170 at Merlin too. Dont have any experience of them but could be worth a look if youre trying to stick to a budget?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

You build looks very similar to mine warns74,

what length are you running the rev’s at? they came at 130 for me, and I dropped them to 120 to avoid issues should I have a problem…

also is that an ardent in the rear? does it not rub your chainstay under load?

warns74
    Free Member

I left the revs at 130, not had any issues so far, touch wood.

Running 2.25 Ardents front and rear and no chainstay rub at all.

weejase40
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a clockwork and i’m changing the standard forks for some rockshox recon tk gold 80mm ( changing to 100 or 120mm )
    They are 1.5 inch steer tube, bought on a whim last night( drinks had been consumed). These are going to fit aren’t they? My confusion is that orange state 1.5 inch head tube, so how is a 1.5 inch steerer going to fit.

Should think these things through before bidding.

erny
    Free Member

Where can you get the frame for £150?

chestrockwell

Where can you get the frame for £150?

Bike Scene had ’em at that, not sure if there’s any left though.

chestrockwell

I’ve just bought a clockwork and i’m changing the standard forks for some rockshox recon tk gold 80mm ( changing to 100 or 120mm )
    They are 1.5 inch steer tube, bought on a whim last night( drinks had been consumed). These are going to fit aren’t they? My confusion is that orange state 1.5 inch head tube, so how is a 1.5 inch steerer going to fit.

Should think these things through before bidding.

If the headset is 1.5 they’ll be fine. What size forks would you buy for a 1 1/8th headset? 😉

weejase40
    Free Member

So the head tube is 1.5 inch compatible. Not the actual daimeter.

I guess i walked into that one 🙂

RDL-82
    Free Member

Tapered headtube/steerer at least on mine so I’d be double checking of I were you.

weejase40
    Free Member

Orange website says 1.5. Inch steerer on 2014 clockwork. Going to give them a buzz in the morning before i buy a headset and stem.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Forgot to say thanks to all who posted on here, still haven’t got round to building anything yet – hopefully soon!

weejase40
    Free Member

Nukeproof 44EEOS fits like a glove. 1.5 inch steerer straight in. Lovely new fork, half the price of tapered.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Orange Clockwork – worth a go or steer clear?’ is closed to new replies.