Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • orange c16 pimping help
  • stoked
    Free Member

Hi all…newby here and looking for some technical help…im currently pimping up a steel c16 frame for a mate…I want to put some straight longer forks to slack the head angle off…..struggling to find any due to the frame having a 1″ head tube……im thinking of changing the steerer? Anyone have any experience of this or know someone that makes a fork to fit? Thanks….craig

passtherizla
    Free Member

Don’t think you’ll find any modern forks that’ll fit, they mostly have 1.1/8 steerer or larger.

organdonor
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stoked
    Free Member

organdonor….thank you….great forks at a good price, looking at puuting the 46.5 cm (29er)forks on to slacken the head off….what do you reckon?

organdonor
    Free Member

Sounds ok but there’s a forum on the carboncycles website. I’d ask there, they’ve been super helpful to me in the past.

raisinhat
    Free Member

It’s possible, but beware that the axle to crown length of the new 29″ fork might be longer than the frame was originally designed for, and the extra leverage snaps the headtube off.

letmetalktomark

So IIRC the forks on the original bike would have been 395mmish AtoC if an early one and those closer to 1997 may have been 410mm AtoC.

You might be okay up to 420mm AtoC but don’t go any longer as you will ruin the handling.

IIRC these frames also had really quite short HTs so you run the rish of damaging the frame with a fork much longer than intended.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I used to have a C16 with a 1″ fork back in the day.

To be honest, its best left as its designed – either the original rigid, or maybe a 70mm (max) sus fork. I ran ine with a 90mm travel sus fork, and while it was great in a straight line, it didn’t handle brilliantly as the BB ended up quite high, and the whole shape and fit of the bike will be designed around short forks, shortish TT and a long (by todays standards) stem. Built up as it was originally specced, it’ll still be an excellent woodsy singletrack shredder. If I wanted to pimp it, I’d get disc mounts welded on both ends and fit modern tubeless wheels and the biggest front tyre I could and call it a day there.

chestrockwell

Agree with Jon, going too long on a c16 will bugger it up. If you insist though Pace were still offering 1″ steerers well in to the 2000’s.

sofatester
    Free Member

orange c16 pimping help

I want to put some straight longer forks to slack the head angle off

NO!

Please don’t do that to what was an excellent bike.

Why not attempt to find all the original parts and build a real retro ride?

boxelder

Mate of mine machined down the 1 1/8 Al steerer on some Pace forks to fit his Orange.
    Still alive too…………

ampthill

The C16 fork and frame were a great package. Really comfy for rigid and great handling

It be surprised if you do anything that doesn’t make it worse

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘orange c16 pimping help’ is closed to new replies.