Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 264 total)
  • Orange bikes, love or hate?
  • trailmoggy
    Free Member

i had a 5 a few years ago and it was the worst bike ive owned, head angle was too steep, bottom bracket was too low, 5″ headtube on a small frame is just madness and they turned a load out with offset rear ends and when my mate sent his back they just twisted it, oh and the brake jack was the worst ive ever experienced.

with the price increase a couple of years ago they really are out of theyre depth

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Don’t love them or hate them. To my personal tastes they are not especially attractive looking bikes and appear overpriced compared to much of the competition. May well try one when changing my bike next time but not optimistic that the ride will compensate for the negative aspects. But who knows – I may be surprised and impressed.

xiphon
    Free Member

I love their simplicity in how they ride. Ridden all sorts of fancy linkage systems, but still come back to the single…

222 + 2 x Patriot LT’s

Suggsey
    Free Member

I for one long for a 5 or maybe even an Alpine/All Mountain 5 as I am a rather heavy rider and clumsy. I am attracted to them having had a Marin full suss back in the day and also a Kona full suss. The Marin I would still have been riding now if was not for the fact that a disc brake rear end upgrade was £350 many years ago. I like simple single pivot no faffing design and less pivot points to wear out seize. The Kona was a great ‘sofa’ comfortable bike that made me ride harder/faster because it seemed to make me ride it that way-suppose confidence inspiring is best words.
    I love the industrial look of the 5 etc and the fact that there are so many of them on the trails that I see means that they cant be all that bad in terms of general quality.
    17 months and I will buy one to decide for myself on the ride qualities.

RustySpanner

Had a Clockwork in the early 90’s.

When it arrived, it was a completely different spec to the one I ordered – wrong bars, wrong colour, one 175mm crank arm, one 170mm.

Orange, or the shop I bought it from just weren’t interested in sorting it out.

Quite fancy a 5, everyone I know who has one likes it, but I’m not paying an absolutely ridiculous premium just because it’s made in the UK and the tales regarding terrible customer service, even now, put me right off.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve wanted an Orange since about 1990.. but I still haven’t got around to getting one yet..

Popocatapetl

Lummox – Member
    Orange <3

[/quote]Had a patriot,sub 5, five, 222, p7, patriot again and just about to take delivery of a new five.

Simple, solid, stable and i would say aesthetically pleasing

Yes they don’t have the latest three letter acronym suspension design, they’re an evolved design ridden by many many riders.

If you don’t get it fine, just keep it to yourself and let us who do get on with enjoying them

Lummox, with that “aesthetically pleasing” statement, your a prime candidate for lead character in the next “Should have gone to specsavers” advert 😆

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just can’t get away from them. Was about to sell my battered ’08 Five to fund a full suss 29er in the Autumn. Took the Five out for one last spin and have decided to keep it, and now thinking of getting a Gyro (subject to demo). Don’t ask.

I can’t explain it, just love the ride.

takisawa2

I was planning to hire a Five from Swinnertons for the day, just to see what all the fuss is about.
    Its about as far removed from my rigid sinlgespeed SIR.9 as you can get. 🙂

AJames
    Free Member

Love mine, had loads of bikes I’m now orange! It’s a bike… It’s as good as I am, never let me down, and yes I like it being made here. No brainer really. Expensive? Per mile of fun it gives me it’s cost nothing, spend more on beer in the three years I have had it…. If you hate em, chill out a bit, go ride your bike!

binners

I finally succumbed after feeling excluded. As a non Orange owner in the North West of England I feel like a curious ethnic minority.

So I bought a P7, and I’m glad to report: its ****ing ace!!!! 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

Had a 93′ clockwork. Loved it to bits. Modern bikes are overpriced filing cabinets. I’m sure they ride perfectly well, but for the money I’ll take a cheaper, good looking bike with suspension that is just as good.

jam-bo

Woohoo. Two oranges and an Audi…

seavers
    Free Member

Is it white tho jam bo?? Not sure it counts if it’s not. 😛

ads678

I think my 05 five looks great. Rides great as well, but i’ve never had another full susser. Have ridden a few others though. I would love a new patriot but just can’t afford one!

jam-bo

Is it white tho jam bo?? Not sure it counts if it’s not.

Black I think. Not washed it since I bought it….

munrobiker
    Free Member

I can’t really understand the “hate” for a bike brand. 29ers, yes, Orange, no.

I like my Five. It does the job I need of it nicely (you can take it up enormous mountains and rag it down without it being a slog on normal short rides). I think it looks good in an industrial way. I wanted something tough, simple but most importantly a good laugh to ride, which it is.

I don’t drive an Audi, I drive a van.

I definitely did not buy it because it’s British. Most British products are duff. I just wanted it more than the alternatives (I was looking at Cubes, but they were a bit fragile for the same travel, and also Lapierre). Everyone I know who has one is a “proper” rider.

And they do get ridden.

I didn’t buy a complete build though as the value’s not great.

ask1974
    Free Member

Six months in and still over the moon with mine (Five). Bloody perfect for me and that’s all that matters. Tested several and bought on the basis of that, not for any other reason. I think mine looks pretty cool and would love to see some pictures of bikes owned and ridden by those who throw scorn on the looks 😉

Edit; and the comments on noise? IME no louder than any others once you protect the swing arm as you would the chainstay on any other bike.

andycs

Had a 5 since 07. Got a ridged Inbred as well. Really don’t care what anyone thinks of my choice of bikes and also don’t care what anyone else rides. Bikes are FUN, IF YOU LIKE IT, RIDE IT!!

FieldMarshall

Have a 2006 P7 and a 2009 Five. Both ride brilliantly. Never had any issues with either of them.

P7 is the best all round do it all bike I’ve ever owned. So much so that the Five rarely gets ridden these days.

Drive a VW ( part of VAG) so almost an Audi. 😆

Ps also own a Cotic. So looks like I’m going straight to hell!

duffle
    Free Member

“As for the owners they attract, well yeah but it only takes one trip to Dalby to understand you can say this for many brands of bike, especially the expensive ones pulled off the back of a white Audi” 🙄

Orange 5 – tick
    White Audi – tick
    Doesn’t give a tick – tick 😀

Also just picked up Pinarello Paris that I’ll also stuff in or on the Audi I’m one ****ing a-hole!!!! 😆

honourablegeorge

Find the idea of “hating” a brand a bit odd.

Personally, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Orange is “overpriced”. For what are pretty basic frames (and I include their hardtails), they’re quite pricy, compared to others – the Heckler always comes to mind as a reference for the Five – maybe not a fair comparison.

And the swingarms aren’t something I like the look of.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

There are no such people as lovers and haters, there are just people who have Oranges, and those who just wish they had Oranges.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Can someone please explain why they are overpriced.

jam-bo

Can someone please explain why they are overpriced.

Dunno, got my five frame by a swap for a chameleon frame and a phone.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@cheekyboy Oranges aren’t overpriced, some people are just undersalaried.

cakefacesmallblock

I ride a Giant. I’d like an Orange. I don’t have any spare cash. I’ll just keep on riding and upgrading. It IS about the riding isn’t it ?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Love

Simply engineered, functional, long lasting, maintenance free, low ish specs for the price but you get really solid sensible specs,

Hate

A bit heavy, but not by much
    The fact they are judged by looks, they have beauty in their utility
    The fact that a brands image taints perception, that would mean you buy products based on others perceptions of you using said product- where would one sit on a bike cool wall etc
    Brand evangelism- I like them but you may not

munkyboy
    Free Member

Love

Simply engineered, functional, long lasting, maintenance free, low ish specs for the price but you get really solid sensible specs,

Hate

A bit heavy, but not by much
    The fact they are judged by looks, they have beauty in their utility
    The fact that a brands image taints perception, that would mean you buy products based on others perceptions of you using said product- where would one sit on a bike cool wall etc
    Brand evangelism- I like them but you may not

Lummox

I reckon some people need this as a soundtrack to their lives

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkRJzErnRmY[/video]

torihada
    Free Member

Gary Fisher was asked; ‘What’s your favourite bike?’ Answer: ‘The one I’m riding’
    I’ve got a 5, had a Commencal, Trek Remedy and Scott Voltage. I don’t care what any of them look like just how fast they can get me down a mountain without breaking my neck. Don’t be a hater, be friendly to your fellow riders, peace, chill!

composite
    Free Member

I have a 2010 P7 from new and a 2009 Five that I bought frame only second hand and spent about 8 months building. Love them both, the Five in particular is just so much fun. It fits me spot on and just seems to suit my riding. Sure its a bit noisy some times and it sometimes looks bit a industrial but it’s mine and I enjoy riding it.

I’m sure there are bikes that are better “value” or “bang for your buck” or other meaningless statements that people roll out when this “discussion” happens, but if you like it and it’s fun and the right bike for you then you remember that once the price has been forgotten. And anyway if you build one like I did getting a good condition second hand frame, choosing parts wisely and picking up second hand bargains where appropriate they are just as affordable as any other bike.

Anyone who says they hate a bike, is an idiot. It’s like hating a table.

Ps. I don’t drive an audi. I don’t drive at all, which is why I get some much “value” from my bikes. 😉

teadrinker
    Free Member

They’re identical to riding a filing cabinet in every way, except noisier, with worse brake jack and less space for storing files.

Please post pictures of your filing cabinet bike – just so we can see the comparison.

billbobaggins468
    Free Member

Having cut my teeth on a Clockwork, i’ll not have a bad word said about them. In this world of far east domination lets have a bit of love for something British!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve a Pure 7…s’alright…

Actually, I bloody love it.

mboy
    Free Member

Orange make good, simple, solid bikes in England. With the exception of a few, they tend to appeal to the good, simple, solid, patriotic bikers who are happy to spend their money on over priced bikes because they are made in England.

😆

There’s nothing wrong with Orange bikes these days (aesthetics aside), it’s just that a long long time ago Orange used to stand for VFM too. Over the years Orange prices have just carried on going up and up and up, with no significant improvement in spec or technology, whilst for the mostpart, everyone else has continued to offer more for less. In an ironic way, it’s as if Orange were concerned their products were too cheap, and that if they repositioned themselves in the market at the higher end (cost wise), combined with the “made in UK” tag on their full sus frames, it has actually worked seemingly well for them.

No doubt Orange still make some good products (and there’s nothing wrong with a good single pivot still), but there are others out there making better/lighter/cheaper products and have been for some time, it’s just (as with Hope products) Orane are made in England and will sell well at any price off the back of it!

There are no such people as lovers and haters, there are just people who have Oranges, and those who just wish they had Oranges.

And it’s comment like this that throw a few gallons of fuel onto the fire that is the hatred of Orange owners! The kind of attitude espoused typically by guys that have only recently got into Mountain Biking, with a fair wad of cash to spare but little time or imagination so just went into their LBS and bought what happened to be the brightest/shiniest/most expensive skill compensator in the shop, to transport home in their new company Audi… Great, you’ve bought a bike, you’re out and riding it, that’s wonderful, but just the same as the expensive Audi you drive (probably costing you an arm and a leg in monthly payments), your Orange isn’t everyone’s cup of tea either.

jam-bo

Untitled by jambo-uk, on Flickr

Mines even the same colour as a filing cabinet…

AJames
    Free Member
    alex222
    Free Member

used to love them then bought one; had it a while it was pretty good. sold it and got a more mass produce brand and the more mass produced brand rode better; but did require more servicing. so i was kind of turned off them. then i saw an attractive Scottish sweetheart riding one and i liked them again. then i am very fickle and i had been sleeping in a tent an drinking a lot last weekend so my judgement on what makes a good bike and sensible financial decisions has been somewhat impaired by those three factors compounding on each other.

I short they are okay perhaps not the best priced for what they are but attractive females riding them does make them seem more appealing.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d quite like an Alpine 160…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘Orange bikes, love or hate?’ is closed to new replies.