Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Orange Alpine – Vertical Play in Rear Shock
  • aazlad
    Free Member

There’s a tiny bit of vertical play in the swingarm of my 2011 Alpine 160. I can’t find the definitive answer online but I think I’ve narrowed it down to the rear set of shock mount bolts.

Can anyone confirm this and if so, do I just need to replace the bolts and central sleeve with these from the orange website?

Thanks in advance!

nicksee
    Free Member

I’ve had similar play on my Five before. First time it happened was play in the lower shock bushing. Second time was one of the pivot bearings falling apart! I would remove shock and check swing arm pivot first to eliminate that.

bigh
    Free Member

Mine creaks like hell when the pivot bearings need replacing (waits for the usual filing cabinet/bag of spanners jokes). So if there’s no creak its probably the shock bush. 🙂

aazlad
    Free Member

Thanks Nicksee. I’m pretty sure it’s not the pivot bearings as there’s no lateral play but I will remove the shock and check if the swing arm moves freely (in the right direction).

I’m assuming there is a difference between a shock bushing and the shock bolt and central sleeve available from orange and it could be either of those two? Am I correct?

nicksee
    Free Member

Yes, the shock bolt goes through a replaceable bushing in the lower eyelet of the shock. Much more likely to wear than the bolt. Not easy to fit without the tool though. bushings

bigh
    Free Member

You’ll most likely just need a new bush (shaped like a hula hoop) which sits in the eyelet of the shock. The bolts rarely need replacing. Try http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/ as well as direct from Orange. They can also sell you a useful tool to help replace the bush

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine – Vertical Play in Rear Shock’ is closed to new replies.