Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Orange alpine shock choice
  • kendo954
    Free Member

Hi guys

Looking at a 2nd hand alpine 160 frame, current model with tapered steerer etc, comes with a cane creek db coil shock, any opinions on how these pedal with the coil?

Will be using it for all day rides and a bit of Scottish uplift days, originally wanted to pick one up with an rp23 so I could firm it up with pro pedal.

How much pedal bob would you get with the ccdb coil when climbing?

Cheers for any info

Kendo

geetee1972
    Free Member

With the CCDB you can dial out most or all of the bob simply by increasing the low speed compression and rebound damping. Too much though and you will make the rear end feel very inhibited but assuming you’re running the right size chainring (32-34t I would guess) you shouldn’t need too much LSC/LSR to get the bike pedalling really well.

Weight will be a more noticeable issue. Unless you spend a lot money a full build will weigh north of 30lbs.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Alpine climbs really well with the CCDB, very adjustable to get the feel you want. Can take a while to get it really dialled-in just because there are so many variables!

aazlad
    Free Member

If the CCDB is in good nick and you’re interested, I’ll do you a straight swap for the RP23 that came on my Alpine. It has had 1 year of light use.

banks
    Free Member

CCDB swap for a rp23 😯

kendo954
    Free Member

just on the gearing side of things, orange say you cant run a normal 10sp double, id want to put my slx 9sp double and bash on, is there a clearance issue with these?

cheers for the info, sounds like i can dial the shock to pedal ok then.

any more info always helpfull

cheers

mark

legend
    Free Member

9 speed double and bash (SLX) has loads of clearance on Mrs L’s Five so I’d imagine it’ll be fine on an Alpine too.

kendo954
    Free Member

cheers legend

seems the specific 2×10 are the problem.

Dont want to be spending a lot in parts after buying the frame

aazlad
    Free Member

aazlad
    Free Member

The alpine comes speced with a race face double bash so I can’t see any reason why slx won’t fit. Good choice. You will love the Alpine!

polo
    Free Member

I will like to ask the same question but for the Orange Patriot, which would be the best shock for heavy climbing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s a bespoke RP23 from what I remember. I picked one up for my heckler to adjust the angles so they are a little harder to pick up after market.

On the RP23’s side it’s a great shock ran fine on my heckler on DH, Mega & long alps trips. Takes a good bit of weight out of the bike.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Ooooh. I’d say go for it.
    I’ve just performed a similar exercise ( built up from 2nd hand frame ) but gone 1×10 and I’m not dying from pedal bob. I think the alpine is climbing really well, and that’s compared to a ‘5’. Initial set up is actually not too hard and you can tweak that shock like mad (I’ve hardly moved mine since initial setup in Nov mind you)
    There is no doubt that there is more bob than I have on the ‘5’ with its RP23 and Propedal but its not bad.
    There is a weight penalty as someone has said – I notice that a bit but hasn’t bothered me when doing all day Scotland riding.

Northwind

I didn’t have enough time on the Alpine/CCDB to say for sure but when playing with it the only time I reduced bob to a level where it wasn’t annoying, the shock felt a bit choked on the descents… If it were me I’d have probably ended up tuning for the downs (at which it was fantastic)

So… Depends what you want to do with it I reckon. TBF just like with my Van I just wished for a big lockout lever, to make winching up the hills easier with no compromise when pointed down.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I demo’d one with the RP23 and I did use it as an Off On setup (set on Max PP by the orange Rep) with the Pro Pedal which was my concern with the bike overall.

Perhaps the new CTD rear could give a better middle ground on single pivot bikes for the more pedally/trail days. All of the demo’s of it I’ve seen have been on VPP bikes which isn’t the best test of the shock really 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

A tweak of LSC got rid of my bobbing and trap dooring on slow rolly stuff, didn’t need to tweak LSR. Wouldnt swap my ccdb for anything. Climbs well, better than many.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Orange alpine shock choice’ is closed to new replies.