Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange Alpine a heavy frame?!
  • hora
    Free Member

I was in 18bikes early and had a heft on a Alpine- Fox forks/fox air shock. It feels far heavier than my 08 Patriot. How can that be possible?

Is it that much heavier than a similar travel Patriot??

Northwind

3.2kg apparently for an Alpine with air shock, not too bad or good…

davosaurusrex

The Alpine was probably the right size for you….

goodgrief
    Free Member

The Orange guys at Fort Bill WC said the new frame is the same weight as the last 26″ five and the 650b five has gained weight to deal with the larger wheels!

tomhoward

Slight spec diferences probably contributed, everything slightly burlier, different tyres can easily add/subtract 1 or 2lbs etc

chakaping
    Free Member

You probably need your fingers recalibrating.

godzilla
    Free Member

It’s all about the build.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I was in 18bikes early and had a heft on a Alpine- Fox forks/fox air shock. It feels far heavier than my 08 Patriot. How can that be possible?

1) inaccuracy in your heft test
    2) heavy bits, or as godzilla says

It’s all about the build.

My Alpine 160 has minions, dropper post, saint crank, chain device, easton flatboy pedals (~600grms), beefyish Haven kit, ~550grm Sun rims etc etc. Pretty much every upgrade/mod has added weight.

The only “weight-saving” measure was sticking a Ti spring on the CCDB 🙂

hora
    Free Member

It had raceface cranks. Mine has latest Saints. Both air-shocks
    It had Fox36 kashima float. Mine Sektor RLT

nicksee
    Free Member

Not sure of frame weight but I put my alpine on digital scales today, 15kg/33lbs as built below but with my time atac pedals fitted. That’s with xtr shifters,xt everything else, carbon havoc bars, wheels setup tubeless.
    definately heavier frame than my 18″ five was, but a beast on the downs!

crankrider
    Free Member

15kg/33lbs as built below but with my time atac pedals fitted. That’s with xtr shifters,xt everything else, carbon havoc bars, wheels setup tubeless.

Hmmm, that’s pretty hefty considering the good build, light fork etc – bet it is amazing dh though.

I have always had a soft spot for Orange bikes, I don’t think it would put me off, lighter tyres / carbon rims could shed a few lbs im sure IF it needed it.

Those 27lb 160mm plastic bikes are really pushing it with weight all things compared, durability unknowns thus far though…

nicksee
    Free Member

The weight was an initial concern when I demo’d one, but isn’t really noticeable when riding. it pedals better than my old five fitted with 36’s. Sure, on longer rides I notice the weight more as I tire, but it’s all about the fun downhill! cant wait to get it to the alps..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine a heavy frame?!’ is closed to new replies.