Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • orange 5 v 5 spot
  • kaiser
    Free Member

just interested as i own an 05 spot and see rave reviews of the orange regularly in the uk mags. how do they compare ride wise?
    thanks for your input
    Bill

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Honestly, the best way to find out is to ride one, and to take it on a proper test ride for several hours. I've never found anyones description of a bike to quite match my own experience. If you were considering buying one, even hiring a Five (or anything else for that matter) for the days is money well spent.

ps. For the benefit of Gary: I hear the Orange Five is great if you fear progress and technology 😀

arfur
    Free Member

Yeah, i'm currently riding a '09 orange 5 and previously had a '05 spot.
    Sadly the turner was slightly too small and cramped for me but was a really nice ride – very smooth, solid and quick.
    Now love the orange, a much better fit and a blast to ride. Yes, it's not as refined (or pretty!) as the spot, but, you know i kind of like the simplicity and trail-feel of the single pivot. It actually climbs really well without bobbing, glides along singletrack and descends without fear. No going back for me!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djayuk
    Free Member

I've ridden both the 09 Orange 5 and the 09 (DW link) 5 spot. Both are excellent bikes. Is one better than the other. I wouldn't say so. They are both superb trail bikes and with a bigger fork up front (160) great alpine bikes. I guess the orange is a fair bit cheaper so I would go for it every time over the 5 spot. The extra money on the 5 spot simply isn't worth it.

If you do like more boutique bikes try the Yeti AX-R7. I rode one today and was blown away. Just about fast enough for trail riding and will handle most UK DH runs. A truly amazing bike that really dose stand out from most others.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

In terms of performance – Depends how good a rider you are. Most wont see a difference.

In terms of look – its up to you.

In terms of fit/comfort – its up to how well the bike is fitted to you.

Downhil – I ride a 6 year old Orange 5 and love it. I ride with a bloke who has a 5 Spot and he swears it descends better – he is a good rider and probably right. It is very sturdy and those extra linkages must count for something

Uphill/Flat – The 5 Spot will typically be a couple of pounds heavier. So the

Cost wise – I guess an extra grand at least.

I like the "englishness" of the Orange Five and like the thought of keepinig some honest english craftsman/engineering company in business.

catvet
    Free Member

I have both, as well as a Turner flux, the Orange feels more bomb proof than the Spot, is easier and cheaper to maintain, albeit the turner bushing s are generally excellent.
    The head angles on the orange are slacker than the turner,making it a better descender, but the turners suspension is poss more supple up very gnarly technical uphill.

Both are great bikes
    with care both can be built into 27 lb bikes

the_lecht_rocks

catvet – no brake jack on the Orange compared to the Spot ?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

brake jack? come on do you really believe this marketing crap

the_lecht_rocks

depends how hard you ride monkers…..

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Ive seen the kona piece but thats with an unloaded shock , i run 230lbs in my shock and even at flat out slamming on the anchors i dont think brake jack has any effect, especially with the weighting of the bike to achieve effective breaking.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

I have had both.

I LOVED the Orange 5 but the 18" was just too short for me in the end and so I was runningit with a layback post and a long stem. as I prefer to climb seated I found that, even with higher pressures in the shock, the back end was diving and the front end lifting.

Teh 5 spot on the other hand just felt like a better sizing for me (6'2" btw). It handled better on climbs and you could feel that it was tracking better on the rear.

I loved the looks of the 5, the simplicity and the fact it was UK (ish). In an ideal world Orange would make a 19" 5! However, for me the 5 spot comes up the winner.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Free form what size 5spot have you got , a large?

Dave
    Free Member

depends how hard you ride monkers….

more likely how badly you ride

GaryLake
    Free Member

ps. For the benefit of Gary: I hear the Orange Five is great if you fear progress and technology

I didn't see much progress going on in the form of your Remedy when I was constantly glued to your back wheel wondering how much faster I could be going!

And your Mum…

Boo ya! 😉

freeform5spot
    Free Member

yep, had a large. Its spot on (pun)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘orange 5 v 5 spot’ is closed to new replies.