Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Orange 5 shock – service or replace?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Currently a Manitou Swinger 3 way with the no-tools SPV adjust lever. It's been good, now needs some attention. Not quite as plush as before and the SPV lever doesn't seem to have much effect any more.

a) service for £89
    b) replace it, new shocks are available for £100 ish, such as Fox Float R and some other stuff that may be cheapo or just reduced
    c) DIY service, although god knows where the seal kits are available from..

glenh
    Free Member

Do you use your SPV lever?

I had a float R, but disliked the inability to switch the propedal off.

stevede
    Free Member

Live with the swinger for a while longer and save for an rp23. I've got an 03 sub 5 with an 08 swinger 3 way spv shock which works fully and is ok, test rode a new five with rp23 fitted a few weeks ago and the rear shock was leagues ahead of the swinger (as was the rest of the bike).
    If i hadn't gone and ordered a new five i'd at least be buying a better rear shock thats for sure.

z1ppy

save the cash, I had a manitou 3 way serviced and though yes it work fine, I've since borrowed an RP23 which is MILES better.

Paul

molgrips
    Free Member

I do use the SPV lever, but I suspect only because it's there. Although on road I sometimes bob a little.

So it will have to be an exploratory C followed by A with an RP23.

Is rp23 significantly better than an R – is it only the adjustment that's different?

stevede
    Free Member

Think the float r has pre set pro pedal whereas the rp23 has the 3 settings with each having the option of pro pedal on or off – a much better idea. Pre set pro pedal means less fun pointing down.
    The float r would be a small improvement over the manitou but the rp23 would be a much bigger improvement imo.

Rickos
    Free Member

I may have an RP23 that came off a 2009 Orange 5. Used twice. I bought it for my Kona but it's way too overdamped for a 2:1 ratio. Guy I bought it off swapped it straight out for a coil shock, so it was 'new' when I got it.

molgrips
    Free Member

How much you want Rickos?

glenh
    Free Member

You should check that the damping 'tune' on it suits your weight, btw.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey. replace the shock buy a push tund shock of ebay and ride it for a while then get it set to your weight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 shock – service or replace?’ is closed to new replies.