Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • orange 5 shock replacement
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

I’ve got an Orange 5,which is just 12 months old,its wearing a STD Rp 23 kashima shock,which is fine,but,I’m thinking of swapping it to either the latest Dhx 5 air,or a Cane creek DB air!, has anyone got one of either of these or had any experience of said shock…….

coatesy
    Free Member

Just had my RP23 re-valved by Loco, now does everything I want it to do very nicely.Worth giving him a call to discuss what you want from a shock.

cubemeup
    Free Member

Not many good reports about a Dhx air

raisinhat
    Free Member

Anything you don’t particularly like about the RP23?

The DHX is badly overdue an update, so I wouldn’t bother with it. The CCDB is supposed to be excellent, but obviously pricy, and requires you to have a decent knowledge of what you want from rear suspension. If you’re happy to spend the time to set it up properly then it would be my choice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

DHX air gets bad write ups and as said the CCDB is expensive. The RP23 is a good shock when set up. Try a retune, you will need to know why it doesn’t feel right and how you would like it to feel though.

I prefer mine on my heckler to coil DHX5, some earlier RP’s feel a bit lacking in the mid stroke and blow through too easily. My current one is tuned right.

SirHC

I had the same dilemna with the RP23 on my Five. Blew through the travel far too quickly, sent it off to Loco. Had it tuned to suit my weight and riding style, along with a volume spacer. Shock is much much better, will get a few bits changed when it next goes for a service.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Sir HC, i may look at that !,mikewsmith, yes they’re all a bit pricey !,coatesy,cubemeup ,raisinhat because im quite heavy I have to run 220 psi,& its feels quite harsh,ive got about 15mm sag,but don’t feel im getting the best out of the shock,a re-tune may resolve this I dunno,thx again guys..

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, mine was quite harsh too, despite sag being in the right area, and regularly attaining full travel, now it seems very supple on small stuff, still achieves full travel without blasting through it, with a well controlled rebound. Well worth speaking to the experts about what’s possible with yours.

composite
    Free Member

Sir HC – Member

I had the same dilemna with the RP23 on my Five. Blew through the travel far too quickly, sent it off to Loco. Had it tuned to suit my weight and riding style, along with a volume spacer. Shock is much much better, will get a few bits changed when it next goes for a service.

I was about to write almost exactly the same thing. Although I needed replacement parts and went with the Kashima upgrade.

Rik
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the ccdb air on a five due to the short length of the shock a ccdb coil with Ti spring is less than 100g heavier!

Might be selling my ti coiled ccdb soon if your interested?

elaineanne
    Free Member

cane creek DB are good my son has one on his orange alpine…he loves it.. 😉

godzilla
    Free Member

I have a CCDB on my O5, great bit of kit, setup for me by Dave at TF and it’s works like a dream, I wouldn’t worry about it being a faf to setup, just copy someone’s base tune and go from there. Looking for a 450 Ti spring if anyone has one?
    Also, there is a good chance the CCDB will totally outshine your forks and you will want to swap them next 😆

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Rik,
    what spring weight on your CCDB?
    how much?
    email in profile

ta

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘orange 5 shock replacement’ is closed to new replies.