Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Orange 5 question for a change.
  • hartcliffeburner

Like the title i'm thinking of purchasing a 5 as I don't think there are enough of them on the trails, i'm 6'2 and was wondering whether any other folk out there are riding an 18" and whether they're happy with it or should I jus go with a 20?! many thanks.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Ha this is just the qurestion im going to get answered on sunday when i try them both out at Laggan. I will let you know what i think if you want, im also 6'2, well 6'2and a half 😉

davidjgrant
    Free Member

I'm 6'3" and ride an 18" 5 and I love it. Why not go to your LBS and try out both?

hartcliffeburner

Nice one cheers guys, i'm going to try an 18 but not many shops in Bristol seem to have the big one.

stevede
    Free Member

Test ride the 18" and if it feels too small or your unsure then most shops should be able to get orange to send down a 20" test bike. Just sitting on one will only give you a vague idea, best to ride both.
    Factor in the test bikes will come with a 70mm or 80mm stem so if your preferred set up is with a shorter stem then remember that on the 18" test.

hugh_b
    Free Member

I'm just over 6ft, nearly 6'1" and i ride an 18". Nice and chauckable on the downhills but plenty long enough on the climbs and everywhere else, i run a 70mm stem on mine with mid-rise easton bars.

carbon337
    Free Member

remember there are rumours of a new 2011 model with some changes – tapered head tube etc. May be best to wait if your buying new.

Lummox

i'm 6'4" and ride the 20, with short stem and wide bars. feels great and the low standover height is reassuring. I had an earlier 5 in 18" and then the same frame with a 20" and preferred the 20"

pdV6
    Free Member

Most of the size difference is in the length rather than the standover I think.

I'm 6'2" but a lot of that is in my legs. I test-rode an 18" and kept clouting my knees on the shifters. Bought a 20" and am very happy with it.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

6'1" and tested both 18" and 20". Went with the 20"and I'm very happy with it.On the 18" my knees were hitting the bars almost and I would have needed more seatpost out of the frame than was permitted.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I've got a 20" 2009 frame for sale. Hardly used due to injury. Custom Candy Apple Green.

£775 posted which is about half what it cost.

Could sell other parts to go with it too.

Email in profile if you are interested.

erny
    Free Member

I'm 6'2" and test rode both and bought the 20"

backhander
    Free Member

It wont last long in Hartcliffe!

Beagleboy

I had a 2006 model 18" Orange 5, the last model before they dropped the top tube. I'm 6'1", but with stumpy wee legs so the standover height of the 18" frame suited me better. I loved that bike, it really was very chuckable and great fun. However, I had to run it with most of the seat tube out of the frame. No prizes for guessing what happened last autumn then. 😥

Snapped clean through the seat tube / top tube junction. I was quite unhappy about that. However, I now have a shiny new 2010 Orange 5 frame in 20" flavour, with dropped top tube to fit my hobbit legs. My views have changed with it. The larger frame is far more confidence inspiring and just fits like a glove. I love my Orange 5, probably even more than my P7, or my Patriot that's sitting beside it. My previous bikes, a Gringo and an Orange O2 hardtail just pale in comparison. Mind you, I'm kinda fond of Oranges, so I might be a wee bit biased. 😉

You really need to try the two sizes out. I honestly thought my old Five was the best bike in the world….until I got my new Five. 😆

Happy shopping!

B.

igm

Saw one with swap outs (think QR/Maxle/plain bolt through), large tapered head tube, large diameter seat tube, and a new swing arm (slimmer mainly).

It was still a Strange, but they said at least the seat tube would be coming through as standard soon.

ivantate
    Free Member

I am 6'1 and had a 2006 18" for a 3 years, finally I have admitted to myself it was too small and just got a 2010 20". Not ridden the 20 yet but I am hoping for:

– improved high speed stability
    – not a big loss in manovrebility (why cant i spell that word), if you are over 6foot you should be able to heave a bike about in the slow bits.
    – be able to run a short stem for steering precision but still get half stretched out for longer rides.

If you want to ride some big XC style rides then it has to be 20. If you go playing with your mates in the woods then 18 is better for throwing around. My bike has to do everything so went for 20 this time.

There is a nice looking green one in the classifieds.

3dbiker
    Free Member

Hi, I've got an excellent 2009 '5' for sale on the forum – the absoloute bottom line would be £1650 cash (no p/x)- if you decide to go for 18" it's a bargain! search for:

FS Orange 5 2009 18" Maxle

Johnbot
    Free Member

Ha this is just the qurestion im going to get answered on sunday when i try them both out at Laggan.

Go for the 20"

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 question for a change.’ is closed to new replies.