Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Orange 5 pro STOLEN
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Thing is tho with the “money vs time” thing – in the short term you save time by popping into the pub, sitting down without faffing around for a window seat or having to dismantle your bike.

You then spend 6 weeks of your time on the phone to your insurance agency to get some money back to buy another bike.

False economy if I’ve ever heard one.

Again it comes down to the false sense of security provided by roof racks. I bet the same person (And roverpig) wouldn’t ever just lean their bike up against a fencepost and pop in. THAT is absolute insanity if its anything other than a £15 pub bike found in a skip.

Effectively, by leaving you bike on a rack, it’s exactly the same as leaving it lent against a fence. + 8 seconds and a flatheaded screwdrier.

ivantate
    Free Member

It could be worse, in the hills around turin we have groups of romanians hijacking bikes out on the trails.

bowglie

It could be worse, in the hills around turin we have groups of romanians hijacking bikes out on the trails.

FWIR, a bit of bike hijacking used to go on in Sutton Park (Nr B’ham) in the 1980’s. Heard recently about someone that had their Landrover nicked like this! Not a pleasant experience for the poor fella.

(allegedly the same gang that are now targetting bikes in the area 😯 )

ads678

I don’t reckon any one would leave a £20 note on the drivers seat of a locked car, but some people are happy leave a 2k bike on top of it!! I’m not gonna say they’re asking for it cos people shouldn’t take other peoples stuff, but unfortunately they do, so you have to think about.

If you have so much money that loosing you bike doesn’t matter then fair enough, but i don’t so mine goes in the car.

T666DOM

I’ve got every sympathy for folks who have their bikes stolen, but I would never leave a bike unattended on a bike carrier, asking for trouble or not, common sense surely dictates you keep it in line of sight.
    Im fanatical enough locking bikes up in my locked and alarmed garage, never mind the bike carrier!!

badbob
    Free Member

things happen, for the record my bike, when i am transporting it, is in my little saxo…. front wheel off

maybe a better design of roof carrier is needed? that or a claymoore?

hora
    Free Member

Two lads tried taking my bike off of me. That was England. It happens everywhere nevermind Turin.

gonzy
    Free Member

I don’t reckon any one would leave a £20 note on the drivers seat of a locked car, but some people are happy leave a 2k bike on top of it!! I’m not gonna say they’re asking for it cos people shouldn’t take other peoples stuff, but unfortunately they do, so you have to think about.

If you have so much money that loosing you bike doesn’t matter then fair enough, but i don’t so mine goes in the car.

pretty much spot on there…
    not that i’m criticising any roof rack users or any victims of theft but sometimes we only become more wary after the fact….a case of “once bitten twice shy”….

robbespierre
    Free Member

I’m a bit late to this thread, but want to comment because I had two bikes nicked from the aforementioned Thule proride 951 racks.
    It was 2 weeks ago in Keswick.

Firstly, some of us don’t have vans or cars big enough to get bikes inside.
    Secondly, if you are on a weekend away “going straight home” is not an option.

Sometimes bikes need to be left locked on a roofrack. I think making sure you have good insurance cover, registering on the bike Register http://www.bikeregister.com and backing up the Thule system with a good chain or D-lock is all that can be done.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 pro STOLEN’ is closed to new replies.