Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Orange 5 owners – sizing?
  • Highlandlogger
    Free Member

So….. Orange 5’s

Thinking of buying a used model

Is an 18″ a large ?

And 20″ an xl ?

I am 5′ 11′ and don’t like to be too squashed up – would an 18″ be OK ?

Thanks

curvature
    Free Member

I’m just under 5’11 and have an 18 and it feels fine with a 70mm stem.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

I’m smaller than you 5 9 and the 17 fits me perfect…go for an 18….

J-R

I am 6’0″ and a 20″ feels perfect to me, I tried an 18″ and it a bit cramped in comparison.

The only way for you to find out is to try both sizes.

stox
    Free Member

6′ 1″ riding an 18″ – and have been for 4 years!

montylikesbeer

6 foot and have a 18″, its bob on

composite
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and the 18″ is perfect for me. 50mm stem btw.

wallop

The only difference between a 17″ and 18″ is standover height. I’m a 5ft 8 girl (so with longer legs) and have a 17″.

You’ll probably be fine with an 18″.

elaineanne
    Free Member

just to throw the spanner in the works (cos im feeling in a cheeky) mood today …im 5ft 0 inches and a 14 inch orange works fine for me…lol :mrgreen:

timc
    Free Member

6’1 on a 20″

17/18″ for you I’d say

roverpig

6’1″ on an 18″ (with 75mm stem). Still trying to decide if that’s right. My other FS bike (Trance) is a 20″ (with 110mm stem), which feels better for longer, less technical mile munching, but when things get fun the smaller Orange is easier to chuck about. Reckon I’d probably be happy with either to be honest.

Cheers,

Andy

andycs

5 11 on an 18inch with 80 mm stem.

Beagleboy

6ft 1in on a 20in frame here. I broke my old 18in Orange 5 at the top tube seat / tube weld because I was riding it with so much seatpost showing.

ads678

5’9″ and ride a 16″. On some steep ups it can touch small but it’s great for throwing around on the downs. If i bought another i’d probably go for a 17″ though.

SimonR

Just under 5’11” (or just over 5’10” 🙂 ) with 32″ inside leg.

My five is an 18″ frame, 55mm stem and 740mm bars – the reach feels just right. Still have enough seat pin showing to be able to run a ‘standard sort of length’ 125mm dropper post.

I moved up from a 16″ after it cracked at the seat/top tube weld.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ with a 32″ leg on a 17… perfect! Sounds like the 18 would be good for you, the 20 is a gate.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

6’4″ ride a 20″ and had to put a longer stem on as I feel too perched on top.

You’d probably be ok with either 18″ or 20″ and fiddle the reach with stem and saddle tweaks.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

6’3″ with long legs. 20″ is perfect for me. Would expect you to be looking at 18″ maximum

qtip

6′ 0″ riding an 18″ with 70mm stem – feels spot on.

LenHankie
    Free Member

As above, 6’0″ on an 18″ with a 70mm stem. This is with 140mm Fox Vanilla’s. Previously had 130mm RS so felt a bit steeper and I used a 90mm stem. That was great too.

LenHankie
    Free Member

As above, 6’0″ on an 18″ with a 70mm stem. This is with 140mm Fox Vanilla’s. Previously had 130mm RS so felt a bit steeper and I used a 90mm stem. That was great too.

18″ for you too, I’d say.

pdV6
    Free Member

6’2″, test rode an 18″ and kept clouting my knees on the controls.

Bought a 20″ and it’s fine for me but would probably have gone for a 19 if they made one.

stufive
    Free Member

5’8 on a 17″ AM

tommygunadam
    Free Member

5′ 10.5″ on an 18″ with 65mm stem and 780 Renthal fatbars. Spot on.

cardo

6’2″ on a 20″ and it works really well for me… I test rode an 18″ and on the pics my other half took it looked like a toy bike…. You really need to test ride one mate before purchasing. You’ll know as soon as you start pedalling. Great bikes by the way!

djflexure

6ft – had a 20″ and it was too big

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’d also have a 19 if they made one! 6ft1 and thought 18 was too small.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I’m 5’10, bought a 17″. Absolutely perfect.

I’ve ridden it singletrack most weekends and done 100 miles in a day over 17 hours and 20 minutes over the South Downs Way. Anything trail orientated, it’ll do it!

Awesome bike, get one!

Matt24k
    Free Member

5 foot 7, 16 inch 2011 5 with Reverb and 70mm stem.

ask1974
    Free Member

Interesting looking at the comparisons of height vs size; I’m 6′ and went for the 17″ as the lower stand over makes my Five feel amazingly versatile. I think you need to look at inside led, whilst I’m 6′ I have a short leg at just over 30″ . Test rode both 18″ and 17″ and there was no discerable feel to the cockpit so went small for greater versatility.

Love it 😀

chestrockwell

6’2″ and ride an 18. Had a 20 a few years back but thought it was a little big.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 owners – sizing?’ is closed to new replies.