Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • orange 5 or yeti 575
  • shortbaldone
    Free Member

here we go with the bike fan club then…..been looking for a fs for a while, wanted the carbon yeti, no stock left so now down to these 2
    have ridden a 5 08 model last year for a quick spin but it was 18″ and too big but seemed to feel solid and balanced even so, not had the chance for a 575 demo yet, hard to get as i need small size
    opions given the choice, meridas enduros, red bull and long rides, weapon of choice between these 2?

coopersport1
    Free Member

I own a 5, I am a fan, I like british kit and it works very well, 5 it is then. Have nothing to say about Yeti

el_creedo
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden the Yeti but own a Five – I’ve raced it, but other than that use it for everything – hard XC, hooliganity, urban stuff – does it all with confidence. Makes me ride like a mentalist though, and the scars on my legs/arms are testiment to this!
    From what i hear it’s the Yeti if you’re more race oriented though. Tough one! Maybe consider an Orange ST4 instead? fast and british!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Like el_creedo, I use mine for everything, currently has bar ends, skinnies and mudguards on it the Bristol 12 hour solo – next week it would have had fatties on for the Kona mashup (I’m not doing it now, I can’t be arsed to do the probable required maintenance in time for next weekend).

But being more impartial. Get on a 16″ Five at some point, ride the Yeti and buy the most comfortable and enjoyable one.

If there’s nothing in it…

Buy the Five if you want stiffer harder hitting hooligan fun.
    Buy the Yeti if you want lighter more sophisticated ride.

The Five is very much like hammering in tacks with a sledge hammer and boy is it fun!

peakmonster
    Free Member

As above yeti climbs really well and feels more active.

slowrider
    Free Member

ive owned both. i personally prefer the 5 for the riding i do but from what you do id say both would be worth a demo as they are pretty well matched. i ran 150mm forks on my yeti and run 160s on my 5 but both are good all dayers with a 140mm fork.

snowslave

The Five is very much like hammering in tacks with a sledge hammer and boy is it fun!

Brilliant description of a 5! 🙂

herrow
    Free Member

I tried an 18 inch five and found it to big too. Can I ask why not a Santa Cruz Heckler, I have a medium heckler and it’s absolutely perfect, I love it. It’s got great balance and feels really solid and it felt spot on as soon as I sat on it and is a superb all round bike. The price is also similar to the Orange.

badblood
    Free Member

I have a small 575 with 140mm forks on and it has given me loads of confidence on descents. It climbs better than any other bike I have had, with a 160mm fork on I imagine it would monster the descents! Mine does not have a silly light spec and it comes in at 28lbs. I am riding drops, wall rides, hammering rock gardens with so much confidence.

As said previously, try the 2 and buy whatever you prefer.

AntM
    Free Member

don’t know about the yeti but I love my five 08 pro. I tried an 18″ test bike but went for a 16″ (i’m 5’7) and it fits fine. I’ve lightened mine with use carbon bars, stem, post and a Sella italia XC saddle. it will let you ride vertually ANYTHING. very grin inducing and british built for british conditions. did Selkirk merida on it last year and it was still working fine after 75km for mud and filth. have i gushed enough?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i had an ASR for a while, so fast it was scary !

would be more inclined to get a 5 though, just because in my mind it looks less fragile. Have you considdered a trance? They’r half the price.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Yeti all the way

Just had an amazing 2 days on my 575

🙂

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I would and did go for the 5, too many bearings, pivots etc to worry about on the 575.Also lovely ride with rp23 an 140mm forks

ChrisL

I was very tempted by a 575 but got a 5 because I managed to demo one and it felt pretty good. Orange have (or had in ’07) a demo fleet and will ship bikes in it out to LBSes that have bought at least one Orange for demo purposes. I was unable to get a demo on a 575 (or much else I was interested in, for that matter).

So in short, try and get a demo (in the correct size)! 🙂

Trekster

don`t own either

ridden both

would buy the 5

santa cruz appear to eat bearings too much for my liking from mates experiences

TheDoog
    Free Member

Five all the way (even tho i’m on a Patriot). Built in Britain, built for the British climate, many magazines bike of the year, single pivot simplicity, more options than you can shake a stick at, good factory back up, need i go on???

DezB
    Free Member

Lovin my 575 (still, 3 years on), but I have liked nearly every single pivot bike I’ve ridden (although never ridden a 5), so I reckon you wouldn’t go wrong with either.
    The Yeti is much prettier though 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

Don’t own either. Never ridden either. Yeti looks nicer.

What’s the backup like from Yeti/Orange?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Neither.

The frame you need is a Hustler.

Jonesy75
    Free Member

i own a 5 and it’s the mutts nutts my mate had a yeti and got shut went back to a titus.
    i think he wanted a 5 but was to ashamed after the yeti. 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘orange 5 or yeti 575’ is closed to new replies.