Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Orange 5 Geometry Query (Head/Seat tube length????)
  • andylux
    Free Member

Dear All,

Could someone please confirm for me that the 20" 5 frame has a head tube length of 140mm (as stated by Orange). I've been told today by a very reputable shop that my 195mm steerer will fit in the 20" 5 frame. I was hoping to use a hope headset. Just wondered what short(ish) length steerers people had in the 20" 5 frame.

Also, I set my current Large(19") Stumpy up with 28 " from the BB centre to the top of the RF Deus seatpost. Obviously the Seat Tube angles will differ but with the 18" Orange 5 frame, would 10" of seat post be excessive if Iwere to opt for the 18" instead of the 20".

I'm demoing both hopefully this weekend.

I've noticed a lot of 5's showing a lot of Seat post. I'm 6'1" by the way and have read the previous posts on 5 sizing issues.

Just wondered how much steerer & seatposts individuals were running in the respective frames.

Cheers

iainc

not sure on the headtube on the 20, but I have an 18 and my steerer is very close to 200mm maybe 203mm, with a FSA XL2 and 15mm of spacers

I know a guy who rides his 18 inch one with at least that amount of seatpin sticking out – it's a Thomson and does just have the maximum markers inside the tube……looks mightly flexy to me though -)

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

again not sure on headtube but I'm the same height as you andy, I own an 18" Five, if I remember correctly my steerer is just over 200mm and I don't think that my Thomson seatpost is overly exposed and no where near the max. markers.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I might add that the proof is in the pudding so you are right to try both sizes before commiting

andylux
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

King of Biccies, have you ridden the 20" 5? What did you think?? Also how does the 18" 5 compare to your previous frames size wise??

Also what length stem do you run on your 5?

Cheers

hora
    Free Member

18" 09. Thomson elite stem. One 5mm and one 2.5mm. Chris King h/set and a 200mm steerer

chunkypaul
    Free Member

on my 2007 20" orange five – the head tube is 140mm plus i'm estimating the steerer is just over 200mm, i'm running a hope headset and a 5mm spacer under a Sunline V1 stem (which has an approx. height of 35mm)

if you are running a tall stem it may be right on the limit for a 20" frame with the 195mm steerer – my lyric 2 steps (190mm steerer) won't fit on my five with a thomson stem and hope headeset but should with a crank bros headset and sunline stem as these both have smaller stack heights…

exposed seatpost is around 220mm to saddle clamp

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

andy, no I haven't tried a 20", sorry. I test rode the 18" and found it a perfect fit. Decision made. I run a 90mm Thomson stem that was part of the Performance Pack upgrade.

My Stumpy FSR '06 was a medium and frankly too small. Although the large stumpy felt to big. Reach/length was reasonable but I ran a Thomson layback post and that was at the max. marker. A bank holiday weekend with a demo 5 showed me the error of my ways.

andylux
    Free Member

Thanks Paul, I too run the V1 stem so possibly with a lower stack Hset I might be ok. Thanks for your help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 Geometry Query (Head/Seat tube length????)’ is closed to new replies.