Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 210 total)
  • Orange 5 29er
  • roverpig

Chainline:[/u] I’m sure gyro will fit the bill, I think a five29 would too, it will just be more capable when you hit the rougher stuff at speed.

More capable in the rough stuff sounds attractive, but more weight on the climb doesn’t. Guess it’s always a trade-off.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Chainline, I was talking about the Gyro, not the Five29.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Would it be sensible to guess that the first run of 50 black and gold will be in 17 and 19 inch forms, and like they did with the gyro?

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Would it be sensible to guess that the first run of 50 black and gold will be in 17 and 19 inch forms, and like they did with the gyro?

Makes sense when the average customer is short and tubby……..;)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

again regardless of how it rides, what size and what colour it will sell well adorn audi’s be matched with a baby 5 and get raved about. Potential master stroke from orange what to get for the man who has everything loves 29r’s but can’t bear to part with his 5…..

lilesy
    Free Member

I thought (hoped) they would have taken a differnt path and done a 27.5 wheeld five looks greath though

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Short and tubby? Damn I’m 6ft5, guess that means I won’t be able to get a black and gold one and will have to wait until the grown up sizes are released.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Short and tubby? Damn I’m 6ft5, guess that means I won’t be able to get a black and gold one and will have to wait until the grown up sizes are released.

clareymorris

I’m keen to demo one……would love to see how it compares to a 26″ 5!

pussywillow
    Free Member

The five 29r is a cycle cross bike, simples! It’s all marketing BS and all the jeys on here fall for it cos a few magazines have been paid to say how it rolls better!! I would much prefer a smaller wheeled bike for steep tight twisty stuff, but then again I think most people on here wont have a clue what steep n techy stuff is cos all theyll ride will be trail centres.

The 29er will be the death of proper mountain biking. 🙁

GaryLake
    Free Member

The 29er will be the death of proper mountain biking.

What have you been smoking?

khani
    Free Member

pussywillow – Member
    The five 29r is a cycle cross bike, simples! It’s all marketing BS and all the jeys on here fall for it cos a few magazines have been paid to say how it rolls better!! I would much prefer a smaller wheeled bike for steep tight twisty stuff, but then again I think most people on here wont have a clue what steep n techy stuff is cos all theyll ride will be trail centres.

The 29er will be the death of proper mountain biking

b45her
    Free Member

29er hardtail ? yes, i’m actually thinking of getting one as a mile muncher

29er short travel ? possibly useful but i’m not convinced at all

29er “AM” long travel ? nope, never in a million years, they simply do not work for that application, bikeradar and beardies can say what they like i’ve tried a few and they were all crap.

roverpig

OK, let’s try and break this down. b45her, I tend to agree with you and the conventional wisdom is also that 29ers work best on HT and short travel FS, but I’m not sure why.

Presumably we can agree that a larger wheel goes up and down less than a smaller one on bumpy ground. So, that explains why it would be good on a HT. If the extra comfort of the larger wheel means that you don’t need the extra weight, cost, complexity and energy sapping inefficiency of a rear shock that’s got to be a winner. As soon as you go to a full suss you’ve lost that advantage.

So, why should a larger wheel be better for a short travel FS but “crap” for a longer travel one? Presumably the argument for them on a full suss is to do with the fact that suspension is not perfectly efficient so it’s better if the wheel moves less in the first place. But why does that argument fail when travel gets beyond some magic number?

Paceman
    Free Member

The 29er will be the death of proper mountain biking.

Pussywillow, you really aren’t very bright are you 😉

29er “AM” long travel ? nope, never in a million years, they simply do not work early designs weren’t great for that application, bikeradar and beardies can say what they like i’ve tried a few and they were all crap.

Evolution my dear boy, evolution 😉

pussywillow
    Free Member

Obviously touched a nerve wi all u 29 lovers! Why not just get yourselves a cyclocross bike and cut out all the bullshit. 8)

GaryLake
    Free Member

A cyclocross bike, yesterday… 😉

roverpig

Does my bum look big in this 🙂 Those chainstays look huge, but I’m sure it’s just the angle.

So, the big questions. When can we expect the next instalment of the blog (your public awaits) and will you be trading the Gyro for a Five29 in the summer?

Paceman
    Free Member

Love your CX bike GaryLake 😀

GaryLake
    Free Member

Roverpig, the 22mm lens exaggerates the perspective – it even looks like I’ve got a 26″ wheel up front now that I think about it 🙂 But using that lens is ‘a look’ anyway 🙂

Wouldn’t trade this in for a Five29, I’d have both 😛 No law against having two cross bikes is there?

pussywillow
    Free Member

Cyclocross bike plus 2.5″ tyres…sorted! 😆

I’m sorry if I’v offended anybody, but I really don’t like what industry is doing this time. I suppose it doesn’t suit my style of riding and it does yours, I feel this will ruin my style of riding in a few years when 26ers will no longer be available,
    I love my 26 five and can’t imagine riding it with big clown wheels.

b45her
    Free Member

because as travel increases more and more compromises have to be designed into the frames to allow clearance for the wagon wheels.
    it also comes down to their respective uses, big wheels for fire roads and and the occasional small bump yes by all means.

every long travel 29er i’ve tried was a barge, you don’t so much ride them as wrestle them.

to recap lots of inertia in a straight line = good thing

lots of inertia and deviating from straight line = bad thing

why do you think big wheels are everywhere at XC events and almost non existent at gravity enduro’s and downhill races?

GaryLake
    Free Member

every long travel 29er i’ve tried was a barge, you don’t so much ride them as wrestle them.

Yeah but if you spend more than 5 minutes on one you do adapt. I’ve got a Five too by the way but I’ve pretty much donated it to my wife. I’ve been a 29er rider for 18 months now, I tend to override a 26er now, you just adapt and change. I’ve just gotten abit stronger in the upper body than before and now it feels normal.

I’ve ridden the Gyro in the above spec down the FOD DH trails and had a great time. The only limiting factor was the current Fox CTD tunes being a bit too blowy but that would afflict a 26er just the same.

I don’t want to see the death of 26ers as I respect choice and what that means for the individual. But all your arguments against 29ers are largely codswallop 😛

roverpig

What’s to stop you putting a Works Components headset and the 140mm Fox 34 (that Chainline is selling in the classifieds) into the Gyro? Actually with careful selection of headset and offset bushings you should be able to get the head angle, seat angle and front travel to be the same as the Five29, but with a bit less rear travel and a lighter overall package. Plus no warranty of course 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

What’s to stop you putting a Works Components headset and the 140mm Fox 34 (that Chainline is selling in the classifieds) into the Gyro? Actually with careful selection of headset and offset bushings you should be able to get the head angle, seat angle and front travel to be the same as the Five29, but with a bit less rear travel and a lighter overall package. Plus no warranty of course

The warranty 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Every long travel 29er i’ve tried was a barge, you don’t so much ride them as wrestle them.

hmmm… tough one to solve this 💡

ahh yes… don’t buy one then 😉

Out of interest, what long-travel 29ers have you ridden?

roverpig

It will be interesting to see what the Five29 does to sales of the Gyro and the regular Five.

Gary’s comment about the Gyro resembling the ST4 is interesting. An ST4 is all the bike most people need, but everybody wants the Five. I can see the Gyro being the sensible choice and therefore, being quietly dropped from the line in a few years. On the other hand, whether it is codswallop or not, it does seem to be accepted wisdom that 26″ wheels are more fun and a Five is really a play bike. So, I’m not sure whether the addition of a Five29 will have much effect on demand for the regular Five.

It’s interesting to note the differing approaches of Orange and Giant, for example, to larger wheels. Orange bring out a Five29 alongside the regular Five. Giant develop a Trance 29er and pretty much drop the 26″ version. Not sure what that tells us about the attitude of the two companies, but I found the contrast interesting.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Here’s my long travel 29er…..I’ve posted pics already on STW but I don’t mind showing it off again as I love it to bits. It just eats up steep technical descents for breakfast and in my opinion (biased obviously 😆 ) it’s one of the most capable bikes I’ve ever ridden. The demo version of my bike even managed a couple of runs down the Fort William DH course with relative ease.

Also, last months Dirt magazine gave a glowing review of the 140mm Meta AM 29er.

Now that there’s a muich greater choice of ‘All Mountain’ 29ers I think we’ll start to see more of them at Enduro events around the country. I’d love to take mine to one

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s interesting to note the differing approaches of Orange and Giant, for example, to larger wheels. Orange bring out a Five29 alongside the regular Five. Giant develop a Trance 29er and pretty much drop the 26″ version. Not sure what that tells us about the attitude of the two companies, but I found the contrast interesting.

Maybe Giant is aiming more for the American market?

The decision of some comapanies to drop 26er and jump on the 650B bandwagon instead I find more curious/disturbing (delete as appropriate) 😯

26″ and 29″ seem to be co-existing just fine in my opinion, a third standard is one too many.

Now that there’s a muich greater choice of ‘All Mountain’ 29ers I think we’ll start to see more of them at Enduro events around the country.

+1 I agree

jameso

To miss-quote an earlier point – Every DH bike I’ve tried was a barge, you don’t so much ride them as wrestle them.
    …but I’ve not got limbs like pipe-cleaners and I got used to it after a half dozen runs on one bike, after that I was taking different lines, adapting and going way faster – loads of fun ) Still way off throwing it about like some do, top DH guys are pretty strong.

Seperately, sort of – Sometimes the best bikes are the ones that you don’t gel with instantly, they force to you to adapt to the differences compared to what you’re used to, differences that you then find advantages in. Or not, maybe.
    But more of the same is either ‘happy with what I have thanks’ and that’s fine if you don’t go on about others who find a benefit in a change, or it’s just dull and generic, no progress. Too much of either is rarely good. I like my set-in-my-ways bike but I also would quit my job the day I CBA to try to find advantages or disadvantages in something new, from experience I know a single test ride usually isn’t enough. Makes finding a new bike a pita tho and that’s why I think most of us would go for the first one that feels right rather than take a risk – back to the drawbacks of excess choice (ie the windsurfing analogy. There’s a good article by Andy Waterman on Privateer blog about that in the bike industry)

And PW, relax. No one’s going to take away your 26″ wheels )

Northwind

b45her – Member

to recap lots of inertia in a straight line = good thing

lots of inertia and deviating from straight line = bad thing

why do you think big wheels are everywhere at XC events and almost non existent at gravity enduro’s and downhill races?

Neither of those reasons specifically. For downhill it’s simple, there isn’t the hardware- if you could get a 29er Boxxer and a 29er 721 and a 29er dualply minion to fit to your 29er Glory then you’d see people using it. As it is, people are working on it with Manitou forks (gah!) and whatever else is available, and unsurprisingly it’s less good than the tried and tested 26ers. Keep watching. 650B is already creeping in with KHS and Intense.

For enduro- people use what they have, relatively few people have long travel 29ers. Box did pretty good on his clown-Intense 😉

pussywillow – Member

I love my 26 five and can’t imagine riding it with big clown wheels.

Clearly! Instead of trying to imagine it, try trying it?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve made my “too much choice” argument many times before, but here’s another angle. How many people – honestly – need even more capable bikes that roll even better than before?

I demo’d a Bandit yesterday which by modern standards is relatively short travel and is “only” a 26er. I was over Derwent Valley way which is probably indicative of the kind of riding a lot of us do. Sure, many of us – me included – ride steeper stuff, more technical stuff and faster stuff, but I reckon the trails in the Derwent Valley are what many of us do most of the time. Frankly if I had a bike that was more capable and rolled over terrain better than the Bandit, it would be really quite boring and I’d soon run out of riding to keep me interested.

How many of us saw Rat Boy Bryce ride the new Blur TR and got a little bit excited about that bike, knowing full well that the bike is NOT going to magically make us ride as well as him?

Northwind

stilltortoise – Member

I’ve made my “too much choice” argument many times before, but here’s another angle. How many people – honestly – need even more capable bikes that roll even better than before?

With a front wheel that rolled over roots slightly better than I have, I wouldn’t be limping just now :mrgreen:

It really depends what you’re riding I guess. Riding around innerleithen offmap stuff, more bike would make me faster not more bored. Riding around Glentress, it just depends on the bike (not all bikes get more boring as they get more capable, that’s where it becomes black magic)

But I agree, mostly a more capable bike would just let me have faster crashes :mrgreen:

stilltortoise
    Free Member

But I agree, mostly a more capable bike would just let me have faster crashes

This is the bit that frankly scares me 😆 I was way within the comfort zone of the Bandit, but any faster and I’d want a taped off course and paramedics on stand by 😀

roverpig

I’ve got a lot of sympathy with these arguments 🙂

I have a Large Trance (125mm travel and 69,5 HA) and a Medium Five with various tweaks so it’s now running at 150mm with a HA around 66 degrees. You’d imagine that they were pretty different bikes. But can I decide which one I prefer? Can I buggery! Why would I need any more options?

Actually the argument goes a bit like this. I can’t decide between these two, so let’s sell them both any buy something different 😳

I’m also put off by the “more capable equals faster crashes” argument. I was kind of hoping that a larger wheel would not get trapped as often so I could spend more time on the bike and less on my arse. But, if I end up going faster that could just mean more time in Casualty.

roverpig

Some pics of the new Five29 are now up on the MBR site for those that are interested.

MBR – Five29

They also quote a weight of 32lb 12oz for a Medium. Not sure if that was with the pedals or not, but I guess it is without a dropper. Add pedals and a dropper and I guess a Large would be the wrong side of 35lb. Mind you, I guess this is a bike that is clearly focussed on the ride down.

b45her
    Free Member

holy crap, i thought they were made of aluminium not pig iron.
    i used to have an sx trail with coil shocks and deemax’s that weighed about that.
    my current strive is lighter with peddles and a dropper, still its a 29er so doesn’t need peddling up hills as they can ignore the laws of physics and gravity simply by the power advertising.

Northwind

Does seem a bit chunky… And looking at it, nothing looks outrageously heavy in the build either.

muddyground
    Free Member

My Black came in at just over 32lb with peddals and a dropper, so this’ll be the wrong side of 34lb. Perhaps Orange are just being more honest than the others with regards to weight? Lot of mass in the rims they use. Also, why have the rear swingarm configured for internal hose routing but then faff them up externally? Looks a right mess.

Paceman
    Free Member

That quoted weight must include pedals, even for a bike aimed more at going down that up, 34lbs+ seems very lardy.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 29er’ is closed to new replies.