Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Orange 5 29er ……. Flexy or not ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just wondering what people thought of the 5 29er.

Read lots of reviews saying the rear end is pretty flexy But wanted real world opinions Please.

Is it one to avoid as a heavier rider or is it a good bike.

jamesross
    Free Member

Well I have an alpine five which is pretty much the same bike and I have no concerns about the back end being flexy.

Kryton57

Why not buy a Segment? I’ve always thought that after I stopped racing the segment might be the easy to maintain bike for doing all I do on.

renton
    Free Member

I think it was north wind from here who demoed one and said the rear end was flexing and the tyre was buzzing off the swing arm.

jamesross
    Free Member

I would put that down to the wheels rather than the swingarm. It’s not an issue I have noticed but I don’t really have an issue with a little bit of compliance in the frame.

chestrockwell

I’ve got one and have no problem with flex. It’s much stiffer then my old quick release 26″ 5 and feels no worse then my old maxel 5. It really isn’t an issue worth worrying about. Great bike.

Northwind

Both the testrides I did, I was rubbing the tyre on the frame- but I couldn’t say how much of that was from the cheap wheels. It’s inherently a flexy design, but the question’s just whether that’s a problem for you- I reckon I’d be fine with it, my 224 was about as stiff at the back as my titanium hardtail but it was never a bother.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers.

Just wondering if me being a heavier rider at 115kgs might accentuate it a bit.

chestrockwell

I’m a big old unit so don’t worry. 😀

Bregante

Northwinds comments about the flexy back end was about the gyro not the segment.

And in any event. He was wrong* 😉

I’m 15st and can’t say I’ve noticed any undue flex in mine and that’s coming from a 140 mm travel Nicolai. The gyro is by far the best all rounder for me that I’ve ridden and I suspect the segment to be much the same.

5-29 looks ace but seems like a lot of bike for a trail bike though..

*the stock wheels may have been the cause of the flex. No issues with flow ex.

renton
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve read it may be the stock wheels.

Would a custom wheel build make much difference?

rickon
    Free Member

Ive had my five29 for about 14 months. It isn’t a stiff bike, with carbon wheels its more than stiff enough.

Its unlikely that most people will push it hard enough to notice the flex. The only time I started to noticed the flex was pushing it hard at the Scottish Enduro Series at Inners.

However, its a lot of bike. Its heavy, bug, long, massive travel.

If you’re not hitting steep descents, hucking jumps or running over children… Then its not the right bike for you. If anything came close to a mini downhill bike, this is it.

rickon
    Free Member

Actually, thinking about it, you’d be better off on the 2015 five. It has an extra 10mm in the ett.

Otherwise you’ll be on a L five or an XL five, which will be a big old bike.

Northwind

Bregante – Member

Northwinds comments about the flexy back end was about the gyro not the segment.

Neither, it was about the five. Well, it was also about the gyro but that’s not what I was referring to here.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Might be worth just trying one out Renton.

rickon
    Free Member

To be fair, I think Renton needs to get a short list and then find a demo day for each.

Probably be best off starting a thread titled “Help me find an appropriate bike”. Which lists the type of riding its for, general rider dimensions, and an idea of what he likes and doesn’t like on a bike.

Should get some good ideas from there, don’t start with a solution, start with the problem and need. 😉

adsh
    Free Member

Probably be best off starting a thread titled “Help me find another appropriate bike”

FTFY

renton
    Free Member

Nice one adsh good contribution to the thread.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Renton,

I don’t post much on this forum but I have loosely followed your travails, in the same way that I don’t watch Coronation Street but I sort-of know what’s going on.

It sometimes seems like you spend more time worrying about bikes than actually riding them. It’s a sport – it’s supposed to be fun 🙂

So here’s a plan for you. Go on the classifieds. Buy a 2nd hand hardtail for £350. Ride it. Enjoy it. Get lost on it. Hammer it. Fall off it. spray it purple. Fall off it again. Fall in love with MTBing again. And forget about whether this-or-that two-grand frame has this-or-that top-tube measurement, or whether this-or-that internet fatso has reported this-or-that problem with this-or-that bike 😀 😉

br
    Free Member

Any Orange dealer can get in demo bikes, just paid a fee when I got one – which the dealer would knock off if I bought.

And based on the 650b 5 I rode, an XL may be a better fit for you.

chiefgrooveguru

renton, have you got any riding mates on similar bikes to the ones you’re considering? That could help you narrow down what you like and dislike – geometry stuff, pedalling efficiency, suspension behaviour etc. You don’t need to find the perfect bike amongst them, just be able to discount the ones which have aspects you don’t like.

The first thing to do is work out what’s good and what’s bad about your Trance. Until you do that then you’re just firing a single expensive shot in the dark at a target which could be in the next country for all you know…

renton
    Free Member

Chief …. The problem with the trance was that the front end was about 6cm lower than I was used to and trying to raise it up at the front was making the reach shorter and making me feel cramped.

I liked the slack head angle on the trance as it made it super stable at speed.

I know its the current fashion to have a low front end but that doesnt suit me.

I need a more sit up and beg position with a bit of breathing room.

Euro
    Free Member

A little bit of side flex in a frame around the BB is a good thing ime. Most likely crap wheels but do you really want to buy a bike that you know will need the wheels replaced from the off? Also if you’re 115kg then those new big wheels will need to be strong and unless you want big heavy wheels (who doesn’t 😆 ), they probably be expensive… and you’ll still be 115kg and be giving them a hard time. I’d go for the next size down wheels personally.

And +1 for cheekychops above.

chiefgrooveguru

Chief …. The problem with the trance was that the front end was about 6cm lower than I was used to and trying to raise it up at the front was making the reach shorter and making me feel cramped.
    I liked the slack head angle on the trance as it made it super stable at speed.

So then you need something just like the Trance but a bit longer (same bike in the next size up?) In which case why are you looking at different wheel sizes, very different suspension designs, different geometry, and so on?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

So then you need something just like the Trance but a bit longer

Or, y’know, a longer stem?

renton
    Free Member

It had a 70mm stem on already. A longer stem slows the steering down on an already slow steering bike.

Next size up is to talk in the seat tube for a dropper for me.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

A longer stem slows the steering down on an already slow steering bike.

Strewth. 😀

Come on – you’re not Steve Peat.

I fear that you could drop a ton of money on ANOTHER new bike, and you’ll find something about that you’re not prepared to compromise on either.

You could always get a bespoke frame built to your exact requirements, but then, would you be on here asking for advice about how to get a refund because you perceive that the bike’s not right and the framebuilder’s told you to piss off?

Not trying to be unpleasant here, but it really does sound to me that you need to step away from the minutae of design and set-up, and learn to enjoy just riding.

hora
    Free Member

Renton you had an Orange recently – its a straight fwd singlepivot. Would you be happy?

Intense 29’er frames are on offer in some places- better suspension IMO

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Renton, do you have a decent LBS near you? If you do, I recommend you get down there, take some biscuits with you and chew their ears off until you’re satisfied with what’s right for you.

jmatlock
    Free Member

You should look at either a Camber or a Stumpy 29r.

All problems solved.

chiefgrooveguru

It had a 70mm stem on already. A longer stem slows the steering down on an already slow steering bike.
    Next size up is to talk in the seat tube for a dropper for me.

In that case what has similar geometry with greater reach and short link 4-bar suspension?

renton
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giant dealer in town :mrgreen:

Edit : chief. I dunno.

hora
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim they are just as likely to have their own agenda.

Young Jedi, this is a journey that you should walk alone.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Renton,

The Camber in the classifieds would be perfect! Size and spec.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim they are just as likely to have their own agenda.

Yep, I’m just thinking though, it might help settle the ants in his pants.

renton
    Free Member

Jmatlock….. Not at that price.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Carbon wheels, Pikes. It’s a weapon and only a few hundred more than you were looking at spending on that other bike.

rickon
    Free Member

Intense 29’er frames are on offer in some places

Not a bad call.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 29er ……. Flexy or not ?’ is closed to new replies.