Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Orange 5 29 … 3 months in !!
  • renton
    Free Member

roverpig… :mrgreen:

What is laggan like in comparison ??

roverpig

Actually bits of the climb up to the old red at Laggan were fun too I seeem to remember.

Oh you meant the descents 🙂 I’m sure there will be some proper mountain bikers along soon to tell you all about those, but I quite enjoyed them too. The burgers are not up to Glenlivet standards though !

renton
    Free Member

I was going to try laggan or golspie next week but not sure which.

wl
    Free Member

I just demoed the latest Five 650b Mk2 and that was mint too. So well thought out and put together. Most fun and versatile bike I’ve ridden.

Northwind

@Renton, they’re both mint tbh. Laggan is quite short but there’s a lot of offpiste (the brown over the road is fairly full on in the wet, mind). Black is all about the big rocks. Pretty intimidating in places til you figure out that you can pretty much spot a decent line and then brute it, on most of it… Nice swoopy fast reds. Decent climb too.

Golspie’s kind of famous for its climb, lactic ladder, but the descent’s grand too. I think it suffers a bit from unsightedness, you need to be very good or pretty stupid to try and smash everything on sight, it’s full of ambushes. I didn’t mind stopping and checking things out but it could get wearying fast. Once you know it, it comes into its own though.

Both are at the higher end of black route difficulty. Which is harder depends on you 😉

S_J
    Free Member

I too had a 650b trance, and also just didn’t gel with it for some reason. I’ve got a 2016 Orange Five now and it’s a brilliant bike, it just feels ‘right’ both in terms of the sizing and geo. You can keep your complicated linkages and all those bearings if a single pivot bike can be this good.

renton
    Free Member

S_J I was pleasantly suprised how good the rear suspension feels on the 5.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

What went wrong ? Thought it was the one?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1852899/?directtofirstphoto

deviant
    Free Member

Is that Renton’s?!?!…..Hora to the forum please!

core

Definitely is his!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think this needs a pack of luxury choc chip cookies, and the good coffee….

chakaping
    Free Member

Ok let’s have a sweepstake on the reason for selling?

I’ll take “It just turned out to be too much bike for my riding”.

bearnecessities

“My arms have grown”

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Needs a new thread- Orange 5 29er- 4 months in (and out)

br
    Free Member

😀

renton
    Free Member

It is mine…. Was offered a swap on a very nice segment which would probably be more suited to the riding I’m doing and rode just as well as the 5. Then the lad decided he wanted to sell not swap so I tried to sell the 5 but has sold the segment.

In hindsight it was probably a blessing as I’ve been out for another blast and realised that I should just keep it. Also as a larger rider the 5 is probably the better bike.

I’m going to spend some money on wheels in the next month or so or maybe see what’s about wheel wise in the January sales.

Forgot to delete the ad is all.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Good news.

renton
    Free Member

Sorry to disappoint you all !!

Trekster

As for your helmet fit, check strap fit….
    Not so much a loose fit but also the side buckle adjustment 😉
    Like Oranges btw, ridden with Steve and had a factory tour a few years ago followed by a ride out on the Halifax moors. Nearly bought one but didn’t….
    I rode an unfashionable Kona Dawg for 10yrs 😆 because it was the bike that fitted and rode best on quite a few demo days 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry to disappoint you all !!

Too late!. Your heads been turned, it’ll be up for sale shortly.

chakaping
    Free Member

Agreed, I reckon you’ll be after one of the cool new short-travel 29ers Renton.

Either a Segment or a Smuggler.

renton
    Free Member

Nope. Not unless you can do me a nicolai with 29er wheels.

renton
    Free Member

Segment was nice but a bit flimsier than the 5 which at 17.5 stone you just don’t need.

I reckon that if I can drop about a kilo in rotating mass ie the wheels my 5 29 will be getting passed onto my kids in years to come.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

17.5 stone

drop about a kilo in rotating mass ie the wheels

I can suggest another option that will save you money and make you a lot faster

renton
    Free Member

Bloodsexmagik as nice as that is I would want to spend that on a full bike not frame only.

Pawsey bear do you mean have a big poo ?? :mrgreen:

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

several and then some, its cheaper, more effective and will save you money from buying expesnive upgrades and food

stu170
    Free Member

What’s the tyre wear like on it?

renton
    Free Member

stu170 ….. Tyres wear is a lot slower than the speed the lube runs out on your mom’s arse.

Regards.

Steve.

rOcKeTdOg

😯

v666ern
    Free Member

🙄

CheesybeanZ

Thats either a very private mates joke or a wee bit out of order .

legend
    Free Member

CheesybeanZ – Member
    Thats either a very private mates joke or a wee bit out of order .

Indeed, how are we supposed to know how long the tyre lasts if we don’t know how long the lube lasts!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or Renton has finally snapped….

stu170
    Free Member

Got a nice bite there didn’t I.

v666ern
    Free Member

This is my 5. There are many filing cabinets like it, but this one is mine. My 5 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my wheels. My 5, without me, is useless. Without my 5, I am useless. I must fire my 29er true. I must roost straighter than my enemy who is trying to out-gnarr me….<insert generic 5 hate joke> couldn’t be arsed to change the rest 😳

at least your still riding your bike mate – been weeks off of mine 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

^^^ 😆

scandal42
    Free Member

Beautifully put Renton 😆

russyh
    Free Member

stu170 ….. Tyres wear is a lot slower than the speed the lube runs out on your mom’s arse.

Regards.

Steve.

renton
    Free Member

V666ern that’s ace mate. :mrgreen:

Stu170 apologies. Beer may have been affecting my head !!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 29 … 3 months in !!’ is closed to new replies.