Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange 5 1×10
  • orangesoul
    Free Member

Hi,

Anyone running 1×10 on a 5? Looking to upgrade to XT or Zee and was wondering what cage lengths and cassette’s people are running.

Will a medium cage run with 36t cassette or will chain growth etc be an issue.

Cheers,

Ed

orange225
    Free Member

I run 1 x 10 on my 2014 alpine and use short cage xtr with no problems

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

2012 Five, 11:36 SLX cassette with 32T Race Face N/W ring and a medium SLX clutch mech.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

check to see if the 36t will foul the pivots first.

peacefulparsnip
    Free Member

I’m running 1×10 with a 36T upfront and a Zee super short rear mech. No problems whatsoever

mikertroid
    Free Member

Five with 34T up front and 11-36 at back. XT Med cage at back; have hope ring with superstar chain device on bit putting works components narrow wide on imminently.

carlphillips
    Free Member

you should be fine, no issues with mine set up with 36t cassette and i have a zee short cage mech on’t rear, just remember to fully compress the swingarm ( i just let all the air out of the shock) when measuring chain length to account for growth.

coatesy
    Free Member

+1 for compressing the shock, whilst adding 2 links (fully extended) works fine on a triple if you’re sensible about cross gearing, doing it on a single WILL destroy your rear mech at some point.

orangesoul
    Free Member

Why will a single set up destroy the mech?

roverpig

I’m sure it can be made to work without breaking, but the pivot position on the Five has been optimised (over many years) to be ideal for a 32T chainring, so why would you want to run it with anything else?

carlphillips
    Free Member

@orange. It won’t destroy it if you measure the chain length the proper way, he was just mentioning that if you just add 2 links without compressing the swingarm then the tension on the mech when fully compressed will damage your mech, I’ve seen it happen on a mates alpine, not good.

Oh and 32T front chainring for me.

creamegg
    Free Member

No issues with my 1×10 setup:
    32t chainring
    36 cassette
    Xt clutch mech, medium length

orangesoul
    Free Member

Thanks for the info chaps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but the pivot position on the Five has been optimised (over many years) to be ideal for a 32T chainring, so why would you want to run it with anything else?

I’d say as a 32t ring isn’t optimal for my riding. Had my first run out on 34 yesterday and have a 36t for when the 40t rear arrives. Not an orange though.

wonderchump
    Free Member

I run 34t and 11-36t on mine.

It does everything I need it to – Llandegla, Whinlatter, Gisburn and the local Calderdale trails. Using a medium X9 type 2 mech. +1 for compressing the swingarm when sorting the chain length – Just let all of the air our of the shock and size as normal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 1×10’ is closed to new replies.