• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Orange 5 11 speed – what are you using?
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Interested to see what the masses are putting on their 5’s 11 speed wise?
    I Currently have 3×10, 11-36 24/32/42..

I’m guessing a 11-42 and either a 30 or 32 at the front will work for my riding.

Swinging on a 30 at the front as I do use the 24 on my tripple up hills..
    Only time the 42 on the tripple gets used is down hills or on the road or flats.

Any issues with the new XT chainsets and the pivot on the 5 frames?

Edit: forgot to add that I’m bored of adjusting my front mech as it rubs in both the low and high sprocket – which in turn makes it noisy. In general the middle chainring is noisier than the others.

duncs
    Free Member

I’m Ordering a 32 up front and an 11-42 on the rear for my segment build , and will just have to try harder on the climbs !

Goldigger
    Free Member

That’s my worry on the climbs… I often use my granny ring!

grey

I’m in the process of converting my Five Alpine 29er from 1×10 to 2×11 but I’m still short the front shifter and mech so I’ll be riding it 1×11 and just use the granny ring manually when needed.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My mate has 32 up front with 11-42 1 x 11 at back on his five. I run 34 with 11-38 on my 1×10.

Riding together he ran out of gears going down the other day and struggled to keep up on the climbs. Maybe 34 and 11-42 would be the perfect combo?

mikertroid
    Free Member

My mate has 32 up front with 11-42 1 x 11 at back on his five. I run 34 with 11-38 on my 1×10.

Riding together he ran out of gears going down the other day and struggled to keep up on the climbs. Maybe 34 and 11-42 would be the perfect combo?

Edit: both 26″ bikes so maybe lower ratios up front on a 27.5″??

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Why only 5 owners? Does it need specific gearing on it or something?

Go the Sheldon Brown website, punch in your current ratios, then punch in the new ratio with a 30 & 32 chainring, then pick the one that gives the spread closest to what you want to replicate from your current setup.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Aimed at 5 owners as when I built my 5, I couldn’t use a double chainset. As the chain hits the pivot on the down tube. You have to bodge a tripple with a bash guard to make a double. Which I don’t see the point of personally. Might as well just keep the large chainring.

So I’m wondering if this is still the case with the new XT chainsets.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It all depends on your legs, your cadence and how you feel, the solution to the lack of range on 11-42 is the sram 10t which gives you a significantly bigger gear and let’s you get away with a smaller ring. I think a 32t on that covers 18/20 from a 24/38 double.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Resurrecting this thread for 5 owners.I have a load of issues with my 1 x 11 set up on a 26″ 5. I’m running a Shimano XT 11-42 cassette, XT Clutch mech, XT shifter and a Hope 30 front NW ring in the middle position on a Deore triple with an 11 speed KMC Chain.
    My main issue is chainline. -the chain is bending at the front of the cassette and at the front of the chainring I have a problem with the chain dropping down the cassette unless I’m pedalling forwards? Anyone else had this issue please.
    Shift quality is ok and gear changing is good untilI go into the largest cog . Checked B screw position too.
    Any suggestions please?
    Richard

dirtydog
    Free Member

@trickydicky

The issue was mentioned in a recent review (can’t remember where I saw it), it only did it in the 42 when pedalling backwards, don’t think there was a fix for it despite them fitting chainring spacers.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Dd thanks yeah seems a fair bit of chatter on various forums about this. Frustrating given how much it costs to convert.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Blimey that’s worrying. I was thinking of making the change but I guess there’s always the good ole triple until Shimano get the new stuff perfected LOL.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Use the numbers….FWIW 10-42 and running 32t with lots of decent hills (some draggy 9km climbs) I got fitter and stopped being as lazy as dropping to the easiest gears.

Having 10-42 on one bike and 11-42 on the other I much prefer the 10-42 for the big step up in range

philwarren11
    Free Member

Im happy with 32t and 11-36, could go to a 34t so i’m going for a 36t an 11-42t. I would like to run a 38t to keep the climbing gear ratio the same but i don’t think i can fit a 38t chainring on my Orange Alpine.

Northwind

Goldigger – Member

That’s my worry on the climbs… I often use my granny ring!

Run the numbers… Most gears on the granny ring can be replicated in a 1x setup (and likewise on the big ring). People tend to think you lose all those gears but because of the big overlaps between rings it’s not the case.

Goldigger
    Free Member

9 months later and I still haven’t changed to 1×11 from XT 3×10.
    But after my trip to llandegla on Thursday and 3 dropped chains, think it’s time..

I’m pretty set on XT 1×11, but tempted to hold on to next month when the 11-46 cassette is meant to be released.

lowest gear ratio/options
    3×10 – 24/36 = 0.67
    1×11 – 32/42 = 0.76
    1×11 – 32/46 = 0.69

Using the 11-46 cassette I’ll get the lowest gear still..

I considered the SRAM cassette options but the cost puts me off, having to buy the XD driver also.

Any opinions or advice?

Del

running xt on a 2013 five. it’s ‘ok’, meaning it shifts ‘ok’. grumbles a bit in the lowest gear(s), but i’m running a static chainguide, so that’s a source of noise for sure.
    surprised how much simpler it seemed when riding, not having to think about the front ring. the main advantage IMO.
    SLX should be about shortly, eh?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 11 speed – what are you using?’ is closed to new replies.