Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange 29 5 Climbing capability?
  • shem
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, Ive searched but couldnt find any relevant answers.

Considering a 29 5 but want something that still climbs well and wont slow me down. Any experience here please?

Thanks in advance

rOcKeTdOg

Depends on the shock, get a 5 with a rubbish one (manitou swinger was my experience) and it was Bob tastic, get a good one such as Fox RL and the single pivot is a much better experience. Current CTD shocks have had mixed reviews due to the built in damping
    But a single pivot is never as good at climbing as say Trek’s full floater or a VPP design

Might as well be the 1st to say it but test ride is imperative

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Strictly speeking, Trek’s layout is a single pivot, all those extra pivot’s just alter the leverage ratio, they don’t actualy chance the axle path.

IMO of the 26″ version, it climbs very well, but you have to accept the more you mash the pedals the more energy gets wasted, better to keep it steady and seated, then put in a quick spurt over obstacles, rather than mash on the pedals standing up the whole way.

shem
    Free Member

thanks for this. Im toying with a few different bikes, and as much as Id love the 5, having owned a good few bikes, Ive never had a 29 full sus, let alone a long-ish travel one. Other poss is other end of the scale a spec camber comp carbon.

Choices 😀

Northwind

Felt quite bobby to me but not terribly, and lots of rear grip for techy bits. Nicely planted front too. It’s not exactly a speedy climber but it’s not unpleasant at all either, it’ll be more dictated by tyres. Better than you might expect for such a big capable bike.

Oh aye, the tyres on some models are awful mind so worth bearing that in mind, if you get one with the oem conti rubber queens you WILL be replacing them quickly, they are dreadful. So that costs them a lot of grip when climbing (and cost me some skin on the way back down), but also they’re heavy and you really feel that on a 29er.

rOcKeTdOg

Strictly speeking, Trek’s layout is a single pivot, all those extra pivot’s just alter the leverage ratio, they don’t actualy chance the axle path.

Quite possibly but mine climbed like a hardtail & much better than my 5

chestrockwell

I’ve got one and can confirm it climbs well with the CTD shock that came on it. As said above, it does not fly up hill but makes nice steady progress. Very fast everywhere else. To be honest, it feels very similar to my old 26″ 2009 5.

plus-one

I had a go on both the 650b and 29r at glentress demo day.. Both climbed very well.. Reckon level of fitness is a bigger deciding factor imho

lerk
    Free Member

It’s not a hard tail, but it still goes upwards fine to me…
    Certainly no worse on balance to Horst/DW designs (can’t comment on VPP)

molgrips
    Free Member

get a 5 with a rubbish one (manitou swinger was my experience) and it was Bob tastic

The swinger on my 26er 5 wasn’t bobby at all, even with the SPV off. Compared to an RP23 it had less support in the mid range but handled square edged hits better.

Anyway – whether or not you like climbing on the bike depends what you’re used to. If it’s your first trail bike after having owned XC race bikes, you’ll thikn it’s awful, but you’ll think they all are. If you’re coming from some monster bike you’ll love it 🙂

shem
    Free Member

Thanks all, Ive owned all sorts form down hill bikes to hard tails and trail bikes. I know the perfect all rounder just doesnt exist, but at the same time I hate hills to feels horribly slow. ANy thing that makes me appear quicker than I am is good thing HAHA. Thnaks again

Northwind

lerk – Member

Certainly no worse on balance to Horst

Yup, it’s only worse than horst on the way back down 😉

(I half keed- I liked it but technically I do reckon it’s “worse”, I liked how involved it all was)

rickon
    Free Member

Ive got a five29 🙂

Ive had Maestro suspension bikes, Treks ABP, Dw link, four bar, faux bar, single pivot…

The Five29 doesnt slow me down at all on climbs, you need to use the CTD settings, whereas on some designs you dont. But in trail mode it climbs with pretty much no bob.

Obviosuly its best to get a test ride, but for me Five29 ownership is excellent. Its just a load of fun, if thats the kind if bike youre after then its spot on.

Its not an XC race bike, but i could probably out sprint a lot of people on XC race bikes on the five29. The bike really doesnt make that much of a difference if youre fit.

The bike has redefined what i thought about 29ers, its hugely playful, very good in the air, and just makes me grin.

zippykona

I’ve got a SC superlight 29 and it climbs like a demon. My CTD is spot on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange 29 5 Climbing capability?’ is closed to new replies.