Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Orange 2010 Bikes – What’s happening to the Five?
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

Nothing on the website.
    I hear they may be disconutinuing it, but that sounds wrong.
    I hear the Fox 2010 forks (or was it shocks) have had a recall.

I’m looking to replace my trusty/loved 6 year old Five (not that there is anything wrong with it), but I can’t see what Orange is doing next year. Are they bring out something new?

I’m waiting to see the new Stumpjumper spec/ride is like before spending my pennies (looks like a 2009 epic apparently). I expect to hear in July/August about this.

Can anybody confirm that Orange are just going to put the 2010 fox stuff on and that’s it. Or are we going to get a multilink ST4 or Blood instead to choose from?

hora
    Free Member

Not sure but the ST4 and Blood make it abit crowded/confused? I dont see the point of the Blood myself when you compare it to the 5

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I thought they were working on a super lightweight 5. What happened to that? Last I heard they were concerned with breakage and it was being tested.

brant
    Free Member

I dont see the point of the Blood myself

LOL.

WackoAK
    Free Member

LOL.

Why not explain rather than just laugh?

pedalhead
    Free Member

can’t see them ditching the Five, must surely be their biggest seller by quite a margin..?

hora
    Free Member

pedalhead, I did think that but then again it might be 4th in unit sales? Who knows!

enfht
    Free Member

LOL.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Because it’s Brant…..

hora
    Free Member

Or we could say ‘waaaaaaaaa’ and ‘weeeeeee’ instead of ‘aaahhhhhh’ and ‘oooooo’? 😉

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I dont see the point of the Blood myself when you compare it to the 5

I heard they were ditching the Blood for exactly this reason.

hora
    Free Member

I heard they were ditching the Blood for exactly this reason.

ITs not a backward move either -look at the Heckler. Revived and still going strong. The hydroforming etc helped a good basic design. I guess if the ‘lightweight’ experiments are also an attempt to improve an existing good idea before re-releasing it (the 5)?

Ben_Haworth

Hora – basically the Blood is all about a type of geometry, not an amount of travel. HTH 🙂

Richyb
    Free Member

I ride with someone from orange and haven’t heard anything about them discontinuing it. I’ve seen one or two prototype ideas in the last year or two, slightly curvy chain stays and stuff but doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll do them. They made a few changes this year with a slimmer downtube and reynolds tubing which doesn’t suggest to me that they’re about to phase it out.

hora
    Free Member

[non-techy person]What difference does the Reynolds tubing make?[/non-techy person]

Richyb
    Free Member

Lighter and stronger? (i presume)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

costs more, and presumabaly a bit more special than whatever they were using before.

Or it could just be that a hydroforming machine was a bit too expensive to justfy.

The 5 is an ‘XC’ bike with a linear suspension rate, the blood is a slopestyle bike with a very progressive suspension rate. The 5 wouldnt survive being treated like the blood should be. And the blood would be a bit of a dog (a big fat lazy one, not a trail houd) on an all day ride.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, cant see the Five going – commercial suicide surely if they ditched it, the ultimate if it ain’t broke bike? (Along with Heckler and Superlight I guess)

The whole time it keeps embarrassing more modern and sophisticated bikes, I really don’t see it going anywhere.

That said, I didn’t think the Patriot would go so suddenly so what do I know? LOL

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

im a dealer and ive been told theres no changes for next year….i doubt they’d drop the trail bike of the year as it is one of their best sellers(its certainly mine!)….its already is coming thru with 2010 forks and shox.the first supply of shox were recalled but its now sorted…..

fozzybear
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – And the blood would be a bit of a dog (a big fat lazy one, not a trail houd) on an all day ride.

my friend john would disagree. he rode his (with coil shock, fox 36 coil, 729 mavic’s) up cwmcarn XC and white trail on sunday with me and my girlfriend and he only runs 32t single ring on the front..

hora
    Free Member

im a dealer and ive been told theres no changes for next year….i doubt they’d drop the trail bike of the year as it is one of their best sellers(its certainly mine!)….its already is coming thru with 2010 forks and shox.the first supply of shox were recalled but its now sorted…..

Hurray!

Question, on descents I keep resting my right heel on the front of the swingarm. Not a biggy but why do I do that? Anyone else?

fozzybear
    Free Member

nope, your special Hora but we all know that already.

hora
    Free Member

my friend john would disagree. he rode his (with coil shock, fox 36 coil, 729 mavic’s) up cwmcarn XC and white trail on sunday with me and my girlfriend and he only runs 32t single ring on the front..

There always the sodding weirdos who can ride 9″ DH bikes on XC rides etc when others are just hanging in. Darn them all.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Hora, i totally agree he IS the exception that proves the rule.. he’s a top fella and nice guy but watching him cruise off in what is effectively middle ring on a 36+ lb bike guts me… going to fill his tubes with water one time i think..

hora
    Free Member

Or remove the concrete from our legs and fill it into his? 🙄

GaryLake
    Free Member

Question, on descents I keep resting my right heel on the front of the swingarm. Not a biggy but why do I do that? Anyone else?

Nope, tend to drop my heels when descending and push forward through the pedals…

In the longer term – if they can stiffen up the ST4 a little (it’s not overly flexy, I’m just talking compared to the Five) I wouldn’t be completely surprised if they dropped a bomb along the lines of a ST5.5 in a few years time.

That said, the ST4 works because of it’s geometry and I don’t think that geometry (well, the BB height mainly) would work well with more travel so I’m probably way off.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Btw, 26 posts and 5 hours in and not one gratuitous owner pic… *tsk*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hora’s made my point for em I think.

I’ve ridden follow the dog on a 7″ freeride bike, lots of fun, but it was definatley fastest on a 100mm sub 25lb race full susser up the hills.

IMO (nearly) all bikes are (nearly) as fast as each other off road. If you dig out old coppies of dirt, the number of mentions the 1:04 track gets in relation to “this 4/5/6″ bike gets to within a second of the intense M1/M3/IH sunday/orange 222/223/224/etc” so from that its concludable that its 98.5% down to rider ability.

Thats not to say the 7″ bike isn’t easier, and therefore there are less of those moments where the bike just gets horrendously out of shape losing a couple of seconds, which is where IMO most of the time is made up. Also explains why some nichesters claim to be able to stick with DH bikes on the downs, its not because your awesome, its because on that particular section neither rider or bike is anywhere near their/its limit. Throw in a rocky chute into an off camber corner more reminicient of a north wales scee slope and the nichester will be left for dead (possibly litteraly).

buly79
    Free Member

[/quote]Hora, i totally agree he IS the exception that proves the rule.. he’s a top fella and nice guy but watching him cruise off in what is effectively middle ring on a 36+ lb bike guts me… going to fill his tubes with water one time i think..

Cheers for that fozzybear I used to think you were a top fella too but now I’ve seen that you’re planning on sabotaging my bike I’m not so sure anymore LOL

nickc

I think the point Brant is making is: Does there actually have to be a “point” behind any mountain bike, and surely asking a question like that on a mountain bike forum is a bit of a non-sequitur, no?

fozzybear
    Free Member

LoL your not a web geek you shouldn’t be here… 🙂

buly79
    Free Member

You talking to me there fozz? Ask golfchick she’ll tell ya I’m always on.

fozzybear
    Free Member

uhu m8 yer :)..

only 2 posts on stw..

buly79
    Free Member

I meant on the web in general, not just on here!

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to see where Orange head over the next few years, given that the 225 now sports a swinging link too.

I can’t see the Five ever being killed off completely for quite some time, especially when there is still a healthy waiting list for them. But if Turner can get radical with the 5 Spot, anything is possible.

SimpleDumbPilot
    Free Member

Seen a lighter Blood prototype knockin’ about – more XC orientated.
    Probably not designed to be ridden resting your heel on the swingarm?!

Rorschach
    Free Member

“I wouldn’t be completely surprised if they dropped a bomb along the lines of a ST5.5 in a few years time”
    Bit sooner than that me thinks….I’ll tell ya next week.
    St4 is getting fatter chainstays.

SimpleDumbPilot
    Free Member

Sorry, nearly forgot the gratuitous owner pic!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Gratuity galore!

backhander
    Free Member

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but Rorschach did you get any news on the five and ST4 after all?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Orange 2010 Bikes – What’s happening to the Five?’ is closed to new replies.