Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Options with rigid forks, carbon ebay jobs Hylix/Exotic or good old steel?
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I need some rigid forks as I’m going to be going back from Rebas for a bit. Mainly as I only want one bike now and this will suit me better. Also save some weight. Looking about no one seems to have any second hand forks with a long steerer as I need a 230mm or maybe a bit longer. So I have found some options on ebay below.

Not sure on the Hylix ones I can get them for £100 the guy will do them for delivered. Seems a very light fork, I’m 16.1/2 stone so I’m not sure on this fork. this design of carbon fork is something new to me looks like a carbon road fork to be honest. The older style Pace style ones seem to have been around in one form or another, On One, Nukeproof white brothers etc. Though I believe a lot are the same fork without the price tag! More tried and tested design I see plenty of people with these forks, even fattys who work in offices all day ragging them over the trails. So maybe a bit stronger than the super light Hylix.

Other options is good old steel, On one do there rigid cromoly forks for £50 posted. I will be using the bike with panniers for the odd ride camping etc. Do the carobon ones ride a lot better than steel though. I have had a few carbon forks and a few steel ones and its a bit since but I’m sure I could not tell much difference if any.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Rigid-Carbon-Fork-Disc-Specific-Post-Mount-44-5-/190558287825?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2c5e28b7d1#ht_1563wt_1212

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270784330807&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT#ht_2436wt_1460

trail_rat
    Free Member

my hylixs are holding up to abuse

pace a like forks are nothing like …. pace are about the same weight as a hylix (i have both) the nukeproof and carbon.cc ones are much heavier

hylix forks seem much stiffer in all directions but yet nothing like a steel fork !

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

trail rat how much did you get your for? Have you had them long? It seems you are the only forum member with these forks after a search I can’t see anyone else running them?

Would you say the Hylix forks are more harsh that the nuke proof syle ones or the Pace RC31

andyl
    Free Member

do the Hylix have enough clearance for a 29er front wheel on the 440/450mm A-C ones?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I got a pair of DMR trailblades in white languishing in the shed if you are interested. They are ‘suspension geometry adjusted’ but dont know the axle to crown off hand. I also cut the steerer a little short as well. If you are interested, I will get the measuring stick out tonight and let you know what shape they are. They are not light though. I bought them for my Decade Virtue but got some Rockshox in pretty sharpish as I’m fat and old.

Northwind

The Exotic ones are very good. Not the lightest but they’re decently stiff, and mine haven’t missed a beat.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your looking at a 29 x 2.25 tire in there

Ive had them about a month an done about 200k on them – they are more harsh than pace !

adeward
    Free Member

I have just replaced my carbon pace forks with a set of steel singular ones,
    they seem much more forgiving than the harsher pace ones,

they also look far nicer with the tapered legs give a lighter look,,

no idea on the weight difference,, those sort of things dont really concern me too much ,,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Options with rigid forks, carbon ebay jobs Hylix/Exotic or good old steel?’ is closed to new replies.