Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Options to replace my ritchey p 29
  • vondally
    Free Member

So I foolishly sold my ritchey p 29, really loved the balanced springy and adaptable feel of the frame, built it with everything from rigid forks to 120 mm forks, 1.9 tyres to 2.4 tyres, geometry for the 19 inch was head angle from 70 degree to a more relaxed 68.5 fork depending.

Only slight down sides were the weight of the frame and a straight steerer,

So what are my options for a frame only other than another Ritchey……

birdage

At the risk of not listening to instructions, get a new one with tapered steerer! I got a RWB one on here to replace a Swift and am completely smitten with it. Excellent geared and currently singlespeed with 650 plus rear and 29 plus front. There is something magic in this frame. Only downside is flaky paintwork. Would like to get a Niner fork if a) could find a straight steerer 2nd hand and b) be sure it’s take a 3 inch tyre.

Sorry no use at all!

vondally
    Free Member

This is what I gear in some respects, they are great frames

Bregante

There is something magic in this frame

Yep. I’m fairly sure that that Tom Ritchey fella is some sort of wizard as I feel similarly about my Road Logic now I’ve managed a few decent length rides on it.

If I ever go back to a hardtail a P29 is definitely on my wish list….. and a Swiss Cross…

vondally
    Free Member

Bump

milfordvet
    Free Member

Birdage,

What’s been your subjective feel in the difference between your Swift and the Ritchey P29’er in different conditions?

Ed

edhornby

Given the price bracket and that you know what you specifically want, is custom an option?

birdage

Well very subjectively cause I’ve got a Gryphon which is an awesome bike but it in summary it just feels more responsive.

I really liked the Swift and had it a fair few years in a few incarnations but ultimately it felt very neutral. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just not as much fun.

Ritchey is also lighter which counts for a lot in my book and the other day it carved through some mud that I know would have seen the Swift come unstuck. That was with a 650 plus/29 plus set up which seems a winning combination so far.

My only gripe apart from flaky paint are the drop outs. They work but an EBB would have been a better change IMO.

I like it so much I almost sold my Jones…..

tassiedevil220
    Free Member

Birdage I have a 11/8 steerer niner Carbon fork in excellent condition if you are interested. Not sure if it will take a 3″ tyre!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Options to replace my ritchey p 29’ is closed to new replies.