Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Options for transporting two year old & a five year old by bike (Brompton or ?)
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

We’ve recently acquired two children (adoption not kidnapping) so I’m looking at ways of transporting them on my bike. They’re both small/light for their age.

Ideally I’s like one seat that would take either, and fit on a Brompton, doesn’t matter if it won’t fold, and possibly transferring it to other bikes for leisure/towpath rides. And preferably not as expensive as an it chair (would only work on the Brompton anyway)

Any ideas on a chair or something that fits the bill?

(I need a trailer don’t I)

pictonroad

yes, you do, trailer is brilliant for that combo, I should know!

also, congratulations 8)

ransos
    Free Member

We’ve recently acquired two children (adoption not kidnapping) so I’m looking at ways of transporting them on my bike. They’re both small/light for their age.

My two and four year old fit into a Burley d’lite trailer, though it’s cosy. They’re both big for their age so I reckon you’d be fine.

The four year old now cycles up to five miles on her own, as long as it’s slow with plenty of stops and food.

Congratulations!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colonelwax
    Free Member

Thanks for the congrats!

I think I’d thought child seat as it was easier for just nipping out, but by the end of typing the OP i’d sort of realised a trailer was the answer!

benp1

I can get two kids in a double trailer, or a rear mount seat and trailer

Other option is a cargo bike – surly big dummy, kona ute or and gr8/fr8 bike etc

I’ve been so close to getting a cargo bike, but I don’t have any room for one in the garage and it wouldn’t get that much use if I’m honest with myself. I take out 1 kid on a rack mount seat pretty often, very rarely take both

pictonroad

we have a cargo bike and trailer. Cargo bike works with a wee-ride and the older nipper sits on a pad on the deck if you don’t want to use the trailer.

However, I guessed from your original post that this may not be the sort of expense you’re after.

If space is an issue, we have a Burley Bee trailer and it folds down like a deckchair, brilliant bit of kit, doubles as a pushchair at the other end. We hang both their bikes, pedal and balance on the back of it too.

ransos
    Free Member

We hang both their bikes, pedal and balance on the back of it too.

Do you tie them to the handle with bungees? I’ve been thinking about doing something similar so I could do longer rides – letting Mini Ransos cycle until she’s tired then pop her in the trailer and the bike on the back. How do you find it?

T1000
    Free Member

For a cargo bike to work well the longer ones are the best bet + wheel size makes a difference 26″ and smaller are a lot easier to handle than 700c etc.

To handle kids on the back a good centre stand, steering stabiliser and hubgear make life easy

DrP

Couple of panniers will suit you…

DrP

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve a fairly cheap Chariot Cabriolet 2 in used condition available..

Email me if you’re interested 🙂

stwhannah

+1 for the trailer – but check your likely routes for anti motorbike or car obstacles. Things like staples or A frames can be a nightmare with a trailer. I had a trailer which just fitted through my local A frame, while my friend had a wider trailer which- frustratingly – did not. Might be worth measuring up!

And also, congratulations 🙂

DrP

This is my current set up:

I’ve owned both a double trailer and a single trailer (both Croozer).
    I’ve towed the trailers with a standard bike and a cargo bike, and had rear mounted rack seats.

I’ve found:
    -a double CROOZER trailer is just a huge faffing faff. Won’t fit through doors. Won’t store easily. Other brands may come up slimmer?
    -a single trailer is awesome. Warm, dry, comfy for the kids.
    -rack seats are OK, but personally I don’t like them.
    -Cargo bikes rock. Get one!
    -Cargo bikes towing a trailer with your wife and oldest on the back get you strange/admiring looks around the village….

DrP

ransos
    Free Member

a double CROOZER trailer is just a huge faffing faff. Won’t fit through doors. Won’t store easily. Other brands may come up slimmer?

Yes, the Burley and Chariot doubles are a fair bit narrower than the Croozer. Still a bit cumbersome, though.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Hmm, cargo bike would be good solution. But I’m trying not to add another bike to the shed.

(Yunki, YGM)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Options for transporting two year old & a five year old by bike (Brompton or ?)’ is closed to new replies.