Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Options for bike storage not at home?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’ve just moved into a flat in a modern block with a no bike inside the building rule. I’m looking at sneeking the MTB and road bike in as I dont have to pass through reception and I can use the side gate right outside my blocks door. Question is do I risk bringing it in? If so how would I get a dirty MTB clean and dry with no running water? If this plan fails what other options do I have of keeping a bike as i’m going loopy sat here not riding.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Radical but how about a flat without stupid rules ?

Or is this student halls ?

Put bike in a bike bag. No longer a bike its just luggage

weeksy

You dont have running water?

06awjudd
    Free Member

Sounds like student halls to me.
    I’ve moved into mine and sneaked the mtb and roadie in through the back door which is a fire exit.
    I’m going to cross the bikewash bridge when I come to it. You can get a hose adapter to fit onto a sink tap though, so that might be worth a shot.
    I’ll ask some 2nd years what they did.

EDIT: Where’s the bike at the moment?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

buy one of those pump water things for watering plants and wash it outside before you bring it in.

Is there a petrol station nearby? Wash it with the hand wash bit there?

Rosss
    Free Member

Privately own student halls, Personally I think I could get my road bike in and if there are any questions i’d give it a quick wipe down and put it in a bike bag. There is no running water outside the building for me to wash a MTB with so I couldn’t put it in a bag plastered or take it inside in such a state

EDIT : bike is at home now. The bike would have to be pretty immaculate to come inside especiallly tyres as im on the 3rd floor and the place is pretty clean

spooky_b329

DHB bike bags. Just remove the wheels and strap the mech forwards to the chainstay with a velcro strap or similar, drop the bike in upside down, drop wheels into the pockets. Pedals/bars can stay on, you might need to drop the saddle. Zip up and then struggle up the stairs with it!

They can go in dirty or you can find a hosepipe somewhere quiet on campus beforehand.

passtherizla
    Free Member

When I lived in a flat I washed my bike in the bath… Never marked or damaged anything.

06awjudd
    Free Member

When I lived in a flat I washed my bike in the bath…

😯

crazy-legs

I had the same in 1st year uni halls – third floor flat, no bikes allowed.
    I used to take the wheels off, put them in the wheel bags and store them under the bed, the rest went into a big bike bag and I just chucked a towel over the lot.

I could wipe the worst of the mud off it outside, the rest I’d let dry then brush it off in the kitchen and sweep it up. Initially my housemates complained but then they realised that it was the only time the kitchen floor ever got swept. 😉

Road bike was easier, I just took the wheels off and stored it under my desk – push the chair in and it was all but invisible at room inspection time.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m a bit skeptical about putting a dirty bike in a bike bag but I reckon if I can solve that one bike bag under the bed and one under the desk would be fine. Maybe a simple hardtail would be better than a carbon 160mm full suss as i’d care less about that!

Rosss
    Free Member

06awjudd – Where you studying?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Options for bike storage not at home?’ is closed to new replies.