Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Options for replacing part of a square taper BB?
  • FuzzyWuzzy

I foolishly offered to help someone sort out their old touring bike. After finally finding my square taper BB tools (complete with cobwebs) I got the adjustable cup off fine and the axle and bearings out but I can’t shift the fixed cup. Mostly as the tool is crap and I can’t get much force through it (and don’t have bolts to hand to try and rig up a clamp for it), WD40 overnight didn’t help either.
    Rather than get into all the heating it up or taking it to the LBS thing I was wondering if I can just leave the fixed cup there and replace the rest (the axle is pretty pitted)? If so do I need to worry about compatibility (i.e. are fixed cups all pretty much the same or are they different for each BB manufacturer?
    It’s a 68x113mm BB but can’t see a brand name on it (I imagine very low end though given the bike was about £250 6 years ago). But everything that seems easily available on-line is cartridge bearings and I’m guessing I’ve got bob hope of cannibalising one of those (taking everything but the drive side cup and getting it to work). Even if I can get hold of a non-cartridge old school one are the bits all bound to work with the stuck fixed cup?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Old style C+C? – I doubt you’ll find any spares, tho it would work if you could.

Get the cup in a vice.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Should be available. Some cheap bikes still come with them new.
    Pretty sure VP still do them. Any LBS, if they haven’t got them in stock, should be able to help you out.
    If you’re struggling, drop me an email & I’ll see what I can do.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah, it actually looks a lot like this (dust cover seems identical) http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?pc=2&pt=46&pg=1066&id=2288#AdditionalInfo
    my vice is a bit pants unfortunately and twists when you put too much force through it and the bike weighs a ton even with the wheels off so I don’t fancy my chances of holding it level whilst attempting it anyhow!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Options for replacing part of a square taper BB?’ is closed to new replies.