• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Options for long slack 29er hard tail?
  • batman11
    Free Member

As sbove thinking of looking at getting a long tt/reach slackish 29er hard tail frame?
    Only thinking of trying to build it up on a reasonable budget nothing crazy expensive.
    Looking about they all seem to be quit short in the reach department! even lrg/xl ones which is what I need
    Just woundering what options there is?
    Looked at nukeproof scout 290 sub 450mm reach 2souls the same! what other 67deg or less head angled 29ets are there out there?
    Cheers guys

muggomagic

I was looking at the vitus sentier VRX. They look pretty slack, not sure how long the reach is though.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Not crazy expensive rules out a BTR Ranger 29 I guess. There’s the Last Fast Forward, and Transition TransAm.

Northwind

I rode a Sentier just recently, it’s not long or slack even before you consider sag from that long fork. I hated it tbh but that was partly because the stock build was dismal.

Scout actually rides well despite the slightly conservative numbers but it’s as stiff as a stiff thing. I rode a Bigwig on the same day, it’s short of reach but has a good head angle and wheelbase so it worked better than it looks.

Seggons
    Free Member

stanton sherpa?

batman11
    Free Member

Yeah the whole point is to kinda gauge if it’s for me so that I would aim towards getting a btr in a year or so yetiman
    Sherpa is a good though a specially as there reduced at the moment.
    I’ll go check out the last,virus and Transtion

transition1
    Free Member

Ragley Bigwig is slack 65.5 head angle I think, not the longest but great bike I am biased as I have one.

Bigmantrials

Depending on when you want one, the Production Privee Shan GT looks promising, 66.5deg head angle at 140mm travel up front, sub 430mm chain stays, and they look awesome. Not available until November though.

batman11
    Free Member

Yeah bigwig is very short and the Shan is pretty short to! And I’ve had 2shans and an oka

chiefgrooveguru

Are there any longer yet steeper frames you could put an angleset in? With a 44/56 tapered head tube you can fit a -2 deg Works headset with a tapered fork to slackenise a bike.

If you wanted 27.5 it’s easy, just get a Bird! Of course you could run a Bird Zero AM as a 29/27.5 with a 100-120mm 29″ fork and wheel but 27.5 at the back.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Genesis TARN? 68* HA though…but then Chief ^^^ is right.

honourablegeorge

Last Fast Forward is 64 HA and 450 reach… its great fun

z1ppy

No geo available yet but 2017 Whyte 5/629 are reportedly getting longer (from an already long 2016 model) and slacker
    Full bikes only though, no frame only option, so maybe not what your looking for.

batman11
    Free Member

Chief,Katz,hon
    Anglesey is an option I’d not thought

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Was going to mention the Last fastforward but its already up there a couple of times. Would definitely be my choice if I were buying. Had a stanton slackline and it was good but those fastforwards look really good

andyl
    Free Member

Mk2 Solaris with a 1 deg angle set? Works do one that will let you use a tapered fork. Remember you only get about 70% of the slackness as the bb drop causes the head angle to steepen slightly. eg a 2 deg is about 1.5 deg but you can only run one of them with a straight steerer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Options for long slack 29er hard tail?’ is closed to new replies.