Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Options for a winter road bike with mudgurads like the ribble
  • marionheck
    Free Member

what other bikes are out there that are good winter road bikes that will take full mudguards. budget around £500 – £1000. would prefer somethign with proper mudguards eyelets to get some decent mudguards on.

I have seen the ribble one – what else is out there that is similar?

Many thanks

Dave

cp

Dolan do one – PREFFISIO

as do Kinesis (racelight T2)

Boardman CX works well as a winter road bike should you want to mix it up a bit

There are quite a lot out there!

trail_rat
    Free Member

you sacked mudguards on the planet X then ?

good chance ill be in turkmenistan next week so if you want guards fitted gimmie a shout soon.

neilm
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium is the one I’m looking at.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m surprised Brant and PX have jumped on the cheap ‘winter road bike in a box’ market.
    It seems to be quite popular with Ribble taking loads of orders [based on what I see out on the road]

2tyred

I’ve got the Ribble (the blue winter one) and getting full mudguards to fit over 25mm tyres is not easy!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Whereas on a UJ, you can get 35c spikes under full guards 🙂

At one point last year, I was riding through hub-depth powder. Hard work, but nae clogging 🙂

marionheck
    Free Member

think i am going to perservere with getting mudguards on the UJ, Anotherdead hero – thank you for the emails – trailrat, i am away in england this weekend, then in dubai next week, you around the week after?

globalti
    Free Member

If you can get one within your budget, Specialized’s Tricross disc makes a first class go-anywhere winter bike with mudguards and an excellent, comfortable tourer with a rack.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dave – who knows

Turkenistan is operational- oce i go im stuck till job is done or my 4 week visa runs out:/

redted
    Free Member

Anybody know how the rear mudguards fix to an Equilibrium? are there threaded holes brazed into the seat and chainstay bridges so you can drill and 4mm bolt them, on or do you you need the metal clips etc that come with the guards? chees Ed

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ed,

I has proper mud guard mounting holes.

Which mudguards should I get?

MoreCashThanDash

The blue Ribble is only designed for 23mm tyres in the guards – there was a compact frame version a few years back that would take 25mm (black frame, or at least mine was). I foolishly sold it. But the blue version is still great value.

I’m also surprised that Planet X don’t have one – to take 25mm tyres, guards, rack mounts, sorted winter bike/commuter. I suppose it was the original Kaffenbak?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Previously owned a Ribble but swaped for an Equilibrium as it takes bigger tyres (28c with SKS guards) and is fun to ride all year round, not just winter.

mboy
    Free Member

Giant Defy is another good option. I’ve got the OEM 25c tyres on mine, and the special fit full guard set that Giant sell to fit the Defy specifically, and its all good. Ok there’s not masses of clearance, but it all works fine.

montylikesbeer

Love my ribble winter trainer, mud guards a plenty make it a great ride.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the blue Ribble’s, great bike for the price (I paid £129 for F&F) but the ride is a bit ‘dead’.

What’s your budget? Any chance of moving up to a titanium? [Edit – doh! Just re-read yours. Ti not in the budget then.. ]

Or, spotted at the ‘show’ -Ribble are about to do a carbon one with full length gurads:

Ribble Sportive 365

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/frames-frames-road-ribble-sportive-365-carbon-road-frame/ribbfrar914

Blackhound

Forme Plateau is what I am using, nicer than the Ribble.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Howabout one of these Genesis Aether

Not fancy and not carbon, but fits mud guards and a whole chunk of money off.

redted
    Free Member

David, SKS seem to be the standard, all or most the fittings are stainless and they are good and robust.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

As well as the carbon, Ribble have a new steel frame for £175

trail_rat
    Free Member

BDB – that frame looks nice for a ribble !

trail_rat
    Free Member

wheels need taking out back and shooting to death

will
    Free Member

I’m really tempted by the steel Ribble frame. Sell my Alu blue one.

Vortexracing

Dolan do this

25c tyres and mudguards

RustySpanner

Could someone tell me if that Ribble Steel frame has separate rack and mudguard eyelets?

Can’make it out on ‘phone.

Thanks.

cp

It looks like it does – there is an additional protrusion off the dropout, but it’s partially covered by the gear cable outer.

Sam

Singular Osprey could be very nice. Happy to do a stonking deal on frameset or complete build at the moment.

Kona honky inc.

rootes1

the lower range treks 1.2 etc have clearance for proper mudguards inc eyes..

no rack mounts though but you could use Carradice SQR

monksie
    Free Member

I have the Kinesis T2 Racelight. 25mm tyres and full guards. I like it.

ianpv
    Free Member

I love my genesis equilibrium, and quite often ride it instead of my cervelo S2 if I’m out on my own and going absolutely flat out is not the priority. Rides fantastic. I had a dolan prefissio before, but didn’t like it much, and would never choose to ride it above my best bike unless it was horrible.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Options for a winter road bike with mudgurads like the ribble’ is closed to new replies.