Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Optimistic…but gas BBQ recommendations
  • rascal
    Free Member

I know there are some STWers sneering at the thought of someone NOT buying a proper charcoal but I’m on the lookout for one 😉
    Needs to have a double height grill, a temp gauge would be good but not essential – don’t need any side burners. Oh and I don’t want to spend too much – £175 tops ideally. We looked at getting one last year but never got around to it and now fed up of them throwaway charcoal crappers.
    Any recommendations welcome 8)

Kamakazie

Always impressed with Webber kit but I don’t think you’ll get one for that sort of money. Their gas grills are pricey.

chiefgrooveguru

I too would like an answer to this – initial research suggests the budget needs to be about double that though, to get a gas BBQ big enough and controlled enough to do long slow smoking (yes this does work on gas!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Default is weber q but not going to hit the list you want. Honestly gas for the win here in Oz

lambchop
    Free Member

Weber, but not for £175. Excellent quality and superb after sales care (unlikely you’ll ever need it) but Weber customer service is legendary.

NZCol

Weber, trawl gumtree as I got one for less than that which had been used twice

jonnyrockymountain

http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/products/weber-q1200,-blue–51080074.html

I have one of these superb bit of kit, ideal for a family

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Looking on Gumtree – nothing within a reasonable distance.

Seen these though:

https://masseys-diy.co.uk/product/campingaz-3-series-classic-l-bbq/

http://www.diy.com/departments/berkley-3-burner-gas-barbecue/1236197_BQ.prd

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4718264.htm

If you had to choose one of these what would it be? Guessing 4 burners is better than 3? The Campingaz one looks good for the money. Budget upped to £200 which I know isn’t huge, but it’s enough.

theotherjonv

Not really what you want to hear I know, but I’ve had 3 now, finally ending on a Weber and the quality vs the £150 sorts I had before is day and night. By cheap, buy twice (or thrice in my case). Look for a second hand one if the budget is definite, but you’re at the wrong end of the season.

That said – if you’re fixed on new, and at that budget, go to a decent garden centre and look at them in the flesh even if you then buy online (the sin!) Go for a decent heavy grate and accept that it’ll be a 4 or 5 seasons at the most buy, if you use it as often as I do, and save pennies for a Weber next time.

Gas FTW – used 5 times this week alone, simply because turn a knob, press a button, come back 10 mins later and start cooking. Charcoal is great and I have one of them as well, but they are more effort.

theotherjonv

Oh, and 3 burners is plenty unless you’re cooking for masses. I actually cut back and went for a 2 burner so I could afford the Weber, and while it compromises in some ways, size isn’t the issue. The compromise is that I can’t run the outers and leave the inner off, to do indirect heat as easily, although i can do it one sided, like piling the coals on one side.

rascal
    Free Member

Well after a quick browse round the local warehouse (B&Q) we headed off to look at the Campingaz BBQ at a local garden centre. There was one at B&Q for £175 that was ok – but flimsy – not shite but not great. Saw some Weber ones at the garden centre which came with a fairly hefty pricetag (but highly recommended generally), then saw the Campingaz one. TBH it was way better than we expected…felt heavy, solid and not at all flimsy, nice finishes and with all the features we wanted…£199. No debating – we bought it there and then. The nearest Weber equivalent was £399 and TBH didn’t feel massively superior/better….I guess time will tell but pretty happy with what we’ve got for what we paid (loads of online retailers still knocking them out at £300-330). Now for a bit of sun… 8)

theotherjonv

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you need sun, that’s the ease and beauty of gas. As long as it isn’t actually raining get out there and do it!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Absolutely theotherjonv.

Our weber q got used all winter- which for the price it had to. Bloody expensive so i will use it rain or shine.

Something the charcoal bbq never ever achieved.

So much so im thinking of sticking a reasonable size “car port” style cover/porch off my back door so i can bbq from under when its raining without getting wet.

Smoker box essential for wood smoke flavour though. The weber retrofit one works really well, you really notice when ive used it and when i have not,

kiwicraig

Weber +1

I had a fit when the missus bought one second hand for $600 but it’s been amazing and well worth the money. It gets used whatever the weather, steaks, pizzas, roasts…

Alex

I know the OP has bought one now but we ‘upgraded’ from a garden centre one that was rubbish to a Weber which was on offer at John Lewis. It’s a proper chunky bit of kit and easy to put together. It does seem to work in terms of the BBQ taste. Basically it’s a convection oven I guess.

We use it loads, makes great food and it’s easy to clean. Paid 300 I think with a side burner as well. In fact, it’ll be fired up for lunch!

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/universal-smoker-box-smoking-weber-style.asp?partner=fr&gclid=CMWrx8_g28wCFeEp0wodR0wCRA

Throw that on the gas burner of your weber with some water/beer/fresh orange soaked hickory chips,

Savour the flavour.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Optimistic…but gas BBQ recommendations’ is closed to new replies.