Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Opticians , advice required about them
  • project
    Free Member

Well it seems as if my eye sight is going a bit, cant see the numbers in the screwfix catalogue, etc.

So what do i need to look for in an opticians, go to a major chain or small independant, or one of the tv advertised ones also how much do a pair of glasses cost, and whats the cost of an eye test.

Thanks,

poly
    Free Member

Kind of depends what you are hoping to get from the optician. If you want to build a relationship which will last for years go to the small local “guy” – a bit like your LBS, won’t always be the cheapest, service quality and range may be variable but they are local, you’ll probably get the same person each year (or two) you go.

If you want the cheapest then big chain, you’ll never see the same person twice, they’ll be focussed on their commission/bonus not you.

And like a bike it can cost very little or quite a lot. I think an eye test is free in Scotland again, not sure about down south. It will be a relatively trivial part of the total cost anyway.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you want the cheapest then big chain, you’ll never see the same person twice

I don’t agree with that. In the past I have used Dolland and Aitchison, the Specsavers and then the Specsavers was taken over by Boots. All “big chains” but I always saw the same optician in each of them. My local boots optician is tiny. Not cheap tho’ 😀

fubar
    Free Member

a view based on knowing someone very close to me who has worked on both sides and having other friends working the more ‘upper-market’ independents (so they like to think). Some of the smaller shops are fighting for sales from fewer clients and will upsell everything.
    Some Specsavers (they are all different in that they are like a franchise with their own directors and so standards do vary) are so busy that they don’t have to sell you stuff you don’t need (but will vary store by store / person-by-person)
    I’ve heard a few bad reports on Boots (big sales targets /selling stuff that isn’t needed)….all opinion

…oh and the big multiples can pay the better rates (and yes probably offer bosuses on number of tests / extras) and hence can employ some of the best optoms.

good and bad everywhere (personally I’d avoid Boots)

MartynS

Tesco for a free eye test, Specsavers for their two for one offers.

Just done this myself!

T666DOM

As an optometrist I’d advise you to ask around your local area and find one who comes well recommended. As with any business you get excellent optoms and total cowboys with both small independents and the multiples. Sounds like you’re starting with presbyopia and you’ll be needing reading spex but a good, professional optom will check everything out.

I’ve worked for multiples in the past and a stint at Asda. I’ve now been 10 years at an established family practice, patients of mine always get honest professional eyecare which I think works, if I think you need something I’ll recommend it, if you don’t I won’t . If you rip people off they won’t come back.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Simple straightforward prescription, probably Specsavers etc. are fine
    Any complex condition or history, as I have, then I’d be looking at a well recommended local optician. In my case my GP was a great help, pointing me in the right direction.
    After Boots took over my local D&A the service in all respects was utterly appalling.
    Eye test was around £26, new reading specs £150 for entirely presentable 1/2 frame style. Could easily have doubled that if I’d felt so inclined.

crazy-legs

If you want the cheapest then big chain, you’ll never see the same person twice, they’ll be focussed on their commission/bonus not you.

I disagree, I’ve used Specsavers for years, when I moved house the old branch I’d used for years passed all my details onto my new local branch. Every time I’ve been in it’s been the same staff, always had excellent service from them.

angi
    Free Member

I think that you definitely need an eye test.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

if it’s only the one eye..

you know you want to

trail_rat
    Free Member

3 eye tests in a month with work ….

3 different results … ranging from 1 where i didnt need specs

to where i needed loads of correction on one eye

the 1st test was done by a lad whos done my eye work since i was 7 – knows i only need a small prescription in one eye due to a squint that he has in the past tried to correct with lenses leaving me with horrendous headaches)now he just controls it

the second tester took one look at my glasses and said the prescription wasnt strong enough in the eye with the squint and tried to up the prescription a significant ammount

and the third said i needed no glasses at all and signed me off as such for my offshore ticket …. but that i was however fairly deaf in one ear ….

needless to say i have an wear a prescription from my local guy that knows my eyes

continuity is key imo

uplink
    Free Member

Tescos £2.50 reading glasses, that’ll sort you out

If one eye is different to the other, just swap the lens on two pairs before you take them to the checkout
    Also has the comedic value of sniggering every time you put them on thinking about someone else trying the remaining butchered set back at the shop

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Opticians , advice required about them’ is closed to new replies.