Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • opinions wanted
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

what would you do guys?

been offered £75 in vouchers as the yeti big top frame i’m buying looks at is like below (storage marks):

the frame is costing me £750.

not too bothered about the one near the BB, but the head-tube is very disappointing…. i can buy a 2nd hand one (granted, without warranty) for £550, maybe less in a similar condition…

Paceman
    Free Member

Maybe take the £75 discount and ask them to professionally touch up the toptube mark before you take delivery?

drofluf
    Free Member

Disappointing but I’d take the vouchers if they’re just superficial paint chips on the basis that I’ll have added my own chips after a few rides.

druidh
    Free Member

A dab of white nail varnish.

weeksy

Did you buy it as ‘new’ ?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    Did you buy it as ‘new’ ?

yes, but they haven’t sent it to me as yet given the condition of it…

and yes, was thinking nail varnish (& more discount!!)

weeksy

then nope, £75 is not enough.

Basically it’s a s/h frame…. So should be s/h value.

The Bionicon i bought had a simillar chip on the frame. RRP was £2599, i paid £1299 for the bike becuase it was shop soiled.

Not saying it deatracts from the frame to survive etc…

but it detracts from the ‘new’ feeling.

Failing that, Hammerite radiator paint is great for white touchups. Found on ebay for £7

edinburghbiker
    Free Member

Take to vouchers, and as previously mentioned, as for them to give it a touch up 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Then accept there’s no warranty with it?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

weeksy… it does detract from the “new feeling” massively 🙁

if it wasn’t for the warranty side of things i’d walk away…

but, i will need a load of bits for it and £73 WILL come in handy towards the build… and if nail varnish/hammerite can “sort” it… well… that may do…

weeksy

Do none of the s/h options already come with the ‘bits’ and the £250 less start price ?

TubsRacing
    Free Member

It’ll have worse on it after building it up and a couple of rides anyway won’t it? But it can’t hurt to ask them to make it a nice round £100!

Mackem

Ask for 100 quid of vouchers.

pinetree
    Free Member

So it’s a £1k frame, and they’re giving it to you for £750, and then another £75’s worth of stuff thrown in? All for the sake of a few cosmetic marks?

Sounds like an alright deal to me!

cyclistm
    Free Member

The location of the chips suggest the bike has been built and stripped, whilst not a concern I would want more than £75 off the retail price.

Edit – if there is already money off I’d probably go for it.

legend
    Free Member

Am I alone in thinking that “storage marks” is a crap excuse? Looks like it’s been dropped on it’s nose a few times. £75 wouldn’t be enough for me

coogan
    Free Member

Sounds a bargain deal to me for a few little scuffs. Not sure what the problem is.

patriotpro
    Free Member

legend – Member
    Am I alone in thinking that “storage marks” is a crap excuse?

Nope, I thought the same. To my mind something that is stored doesn’t move and therefore cannot sustain damage form simply being “stored”. Because of this i’d doubt the credibility of anything else they said.

Saying that, and considering it is already heavily discounted, i’d ask them to double their offer to £150 and settle for a ton’s worth or even the orginal £75s worth of vouchers if I really wanted it…

Rorschach
    Free Member

The bionicon wasn’t 1/2 price because of a paint chip 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Shop soiled is completely different to second hand.

You have rights and they are worth paying for. It would be £550 down the drain if something goes wrong. Your paying the extra for back-up.

See if they’ll give you a little more. But you are getting a fair bit of the RRP.

weeksy

Rorschach – Member
    The bionicon wasn’t 1/2 price because of a paint chip

Amen brother.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

thanks all… i’ve asked for £100 of vouchers and see what they say (via email) if they play hard ball and stick to £75 i probably settle for that and go for it anyway…

i’m a top, top negotiator, alan sugar’s got nothing on me 😀

bruneep

if they play hard ball and stick to £75 i probably settle for that and go for it anyway

best hope they dont look on here then. 🙄

BoardinBob

If you do don’t more damage than that on your first ride then you’re not trying hard enough.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i took the £75 voucher… it still means i got a £1k frame for £675… nail polish ahoy (might even use some on the frame!)

Speshpaul

prob too late now, but just a thought, you say you need more than £75 worth of new ear for the rebuild, why not ask if they have any of the stuff you need? if they have stripped a bike to supply you with a frame the bits you need might be sat there.
    Oh i’d check that head tube for roundness as soon as it arrived. I bet its perfect but best be sure.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘opinions wanted’ is closed to new replies.