• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Opinions wanted on te following cars – Mazda/Nissan/Honda/Toyota
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I probably need a new car. Currently have an Almera, its been a joy to own. Many years of trouble free motoring.

I’m looking to replace it with some sort of reliable hatchback for about £1000 – £1500.

Looking at 2002ish Mazda 323’s, Nissan Primera’s, Toyota Corolla’s and Honda Civic’s.

Have any of you owned any of these cars and can give me some feedback?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Old style Civic were a joy to drive (had as hire cars) new ones (personal opinion) are a heap or mismashed style(crap)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks mike, its the older ones I’m looking at. This shape

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Can’t go far wrong with those Civics.

richmars

Wife has older Civic, only issue in 4 years and about 70k miles is air con now not working, but it is about 8 years old. Looking to replace it next spring but the new civic’s look expensive (2nd hand) compared to a small Ford, but haven’t really started to research it yet.

project
    Free Member

Mazda and ford re badge each others cars, as do nissan and renault, toyota, expensive and nice, but so dated in style,old hondas, a rover 400, great car,new hondas, all plastic, and cheap looking, problems with boot cycle racks etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t know how much our 1998 Corolla would cost now but it’s been excellent. Consumables have needed replacing along the way but it’s been really strong and reliable. We’ve just bought a newer second car and I’m praying it’s as good to us as the old Corolla.

mboy
    Free Member

Of those you mention, I’d only be wary of a Mazda 323. Have known a few of them to be unreliable, and this car was before Mazda really got it together with the newer 3 and 6 cars in the range.

The others are all pretty much totally honest and reliable motors, if a little dull. You’ll struggle to find a diesel in any of them though, so I hope you don’t do too many miles.

Personally of the 3 I’d take a Primera as you’ll get a LOT more car for your money than with the others… It’s a bigger, luxury family car compared to fairly basic hatches by all accounts, though Civics like the Vti with it’s 167bhp 1.8 engine were a lot faster and pretty well specced too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I was only really considering a 323 as Ive seen some nice 2L GTI ones for notmuch cash. Although my dad did tell me they are just rebadged fords and they have a problem with rust on the rear arches or something, so I may give them a miss.

There seem to be a few more nissans kncoking about, I guess they arent as desirable as a Corolla or a Civic. May have a chance of a 02 Primera with 80k on the clock for around £1000. Sound like a good price?

grim168
    Free Member

We have a ’99 primera 2.0 sport. Had it for 10 years and its been very reliable. Would certainly buy another nissan. Only problem is it has a shit steering lock so turning circle is massive.

woodchip46
    Free Member

My 1986 corolla is still going strong, after 3yrs of me owning it and using everyday. Hasn’t cost me much to keep running and has never failed me yet. Go Toyota, the older the better I say!

stumpy01

Before buying, have a look at the cost of stuff like filters, exhaust, brake pads/discs. Some of the Japanese cars I have looked at in the past I was put off as the parts were expensive compared to other brands.

Pattern parts might be more agreeable, I suppose.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

All good info, and it seems to back up what I was thinking anyway.

We have a ’99 primera 2.0 sport.

Thats from the same era as my Almera, I think the primera I can get is a newer shape model.

As for spares/repairs, my dads a mechanic so consumables and repairs I can get done cheap/free. Probably the reason my Almera is still on the road.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ok then, honda civic aerodeck. Any good?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Checked out the Primera last night, it was gold and had a creamy/beige interior, I was almost half tempted. But the seats were stained and the parking camera wasnt there. In truth it was a horrible car.

bigyinn
    Free Member

We have a ’99 T reg 1.8 323. Good little car, no real issues with it. Shockers went a couple of years ago, did it myself. Clutch will need doing at some point.
    Pretty competent little car really, no major issues or complaints.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t go far wrong with those Civics.

Unless it’s the 1.7 diesel, which is apparently dreadful.

Bez

If that’s your price range it doesn’t matter what model you pick, it’s the history that counts.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Opinions wanted on te following cars – Mazda/Nissan/Honda/Toyota’ is closed to new replies.