• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Opinions! This place is full of 'em… (Ribble/Planet-X content)
  • chojin
    Free Member

So could you lot kindly give me yours on these two road bikes!

Planet-X Pro Carbon Rival

and

Ribble Sportive Bianco (also specced with Rival)

There’s about 95 quid between them at the moment (in favour of the planet-x), but I think I like the look of the Ribble more…

RealMan
    Free Member

Ribbles look cooler, and they are Italian, which makes them around 20% faster.

Apart from that, there’s probably not a lot in it. And anyway, they’re both going to be crap, covered in that sram stuff 😉

As I can’t be bothered to look up the specs, are there any big differences? Wheels? Tyres? Carbon seatposts? Bars?

chojin
    Free Member

Well an extra £4 would add shimano 105, so that’s also an option.

I thought SRAM were meant to be quite good in the roadie world?

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah probably, I’m a shimano fan though. Don’t like the shifting on campag or sram. I would go for 105, but if you want sram, don’t let me put you off, it’s mostly personal taste.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got Rival on my Boardman Team Carbon. It works well enough but it’s a bit agricultural and I don’t find the double-tap that intuitive.

dobo
    Free Member

get the one with better wheels. (no i havnt looked at spec either)

mugsys_m8

What tools have you got? Shimano specific stuff already? i.e crank spanners etc. That was a bit of a factor for me.

But most importantly the best will be the one that fits you. Neither might fit you….

RealMan
    Free Member

But most importantly the best will be the one that fits you. Neither might fit you….

If he gets the wrong size maybe, but what..?

oldgit
    Free Member

PX fan here, with Shimano. Does the ribble not hint just a tad towards a sportive frame?
    Anyway more than happy with it’s performance in everything I’ve used it for.
    Raced two seasons on mine.

chojin
    Free Member

I’d hate to sound so misinformed for fear of being ripped apart by the entire population of STW, but I wouldn’t know the difference between sportive/race or any other uhh… “genre” of bike (for want of a much better word)

chojin
    Free Member

All I know is that PX are doing what seems like a good deal their entry level carbon bike for £999.

It would mainly be used for commuting and the odd midweek ride :]

**Edit** looks like sportive is setup to be more comfortable so this could be a winner! Plus the Ribble looks to have better wheels and finishing kit from what my limited knowledge of the roadie world tells me.

RealMan
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be better off with something that doesn’t scream steal me as much, and can possibly take mudguards and panniers?

chojin
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be better off with something that doesn’t scream steal me as much, and can possibly take mudguards and panniers?

Nope, because it would be stored in a locked room, behind a locked metal cage at Hampshire Police headquarters – they can try and steal it if they want :]

RealMan
    Free Member

I dunno, it’s the last place you’d expect… 😀

What about the mudguards and panniers though? I think you can get mudguards on the ribble, not sure about the px.

geoffj

Is one of them red? Get that one.

chojin
    Free Member

Mudguards and panniers would be a bonus, but not essential as I’ll keep spare clothes at work in my locker to try and keep down weight (a great fitness compensator)
    Would be a nice to have though…

One thing I do find is Ribble’s sizing seems quite complicated!

chapps
    Free Member

Planet X do a good deal and seem to be Bike people so customer care seems good to me.
    Ive had a TT bike from them and a Kaffenback winter commute.

The Sram kit is very good. Ive got Force on one bike and Red on another. The shift levers are a fair bit lighter in weight over Shimano.
    I would say Shimano is a lighter action though.
    As for tools I wouldnt worry about that one. Cassette chains etc all cross over with tooling. GXP Bottom brackets are the same tool fit as Shimano etc. All the other stuff is Standard alan key stuff.

You can always mix and match like on the mtb in time.
    I have a Shimano cassette, chain and front mech and chainset with a Sram rear mech and levers. Pretty much same on my MTB.
    I too have always been a advocate of Shimano I did 12 yrs in the bike trade spannering etc and loved the fact that even there basic kids stuff just works!!! Period

Sram have come a long way and should not be ignored.

You could always try Shimano V Sram. A lot of LBS have a road bike set up on a Turbo and you could see what you get on with.

I think PX have a shop in London now so you could try one?

MC

chojin
    Free Member

You could always try Shimano V Sram. A lot of LBS have a road bike set up on a Turbo and you could see what you get on with.

I think PX have a shop in London now so you could try one?

Good idea! Although i’m not sure any of my LBSs have that facility?

I didn’t know PX had a London shop, could be worth a trip…

kilo

Got the ribble with sram, much prefer it to shimano (had various 105 bikes). Very nice bike but long lead time and sometimes they are short of sizes which can delay things more. Bike came virtualy ready to go just straighten stem & bars fit saddle, very happy with it.

Butlers in croydon used to stock Planet x demonstrators so may be worth a call

chojin
    Free Member

Kilo – Why do you prefer the SRAM setup?

Not wanting to start a Shimano vs SRAM debate, I’m just genuinely interested to know :]

uponthedowns
    Free Member

There’s about 95 quid between them at the moment (in favour of the planet-x), but I think I like the look of the Ribble more…

If they both fit you (trouble is you won’t know that until you take delivery- that’s the big problem with Internet purchase) then you’ve answered your own question. Go for the one you like the look of best.

Ribbles look cooler, and they are Italian, which makes them around 20% faster.

Hope that remark is tongue in cheek- well at least the bit about the Ribble being Italian. They probably both come from the same factory in China/Taiwan

get the one with better wheels.

Sound advice. Next to the frame wheels have the biggest influence on how a bike rides.

chojin
    Free Member

Well the wheels are on the PX are Mach 1 Omegas, and the wheels on the ribble can be customised to whatever you want – But i’d probably go for the ITM Aero 2.4s, or Shimano RS10s.

I’m a numpty when it comes to road wheels, wouldn’t have a clue which are better/lighter..

Philby

Planet X have a showroom in Bristol which isn’t too far away from Hants. http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/contact/bristol-showroom

Fit is much more important on a road bike than a mountain bike, so might be worth a trip, unless you have mates who have the models you are considering and can have a trial ride on.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had a Plnet X carbon with ultegra, Ive recently bought a new frame and specced it with SRAM Rival. I think I prefer the way ultegra shifts, seems more fluid/smoother. The SRAM is a bit lighter though, and quite a bit more lighter than 105.

kilo

Kilo – Why do you prefer the SRAM setup?

Not wanting to start a Shimano vs SRAM debate, I’m just genuinely interested to know :]

I find the action of the mech’s to be pretty good – easily as good as 105 and I like the double click system, I thought I would struggle with it but found it quite intuitive.

Would add that i found the ITM Aero 2.4s nice wheels but a nightmare to get the tyres on and off (those which came with it, gatorskins and pro race 3’s) and got rid of them pdq

At the end of the day campag, shiman, sram and shimagnolo is personal preference and there’s not that much between them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Opinions! This place is full of 'em… (Ribble/Planet-X content)’ is closed to new replies.