Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Opinions please?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m already thinking about next years purchase which will be a suss frame.

I have 2 in mind so far:
    1. Pace RC405
    2. Cotic Hemlock

Main uses will be XC and trail centre stuff. So it’ll need to climb.

Can anyone give me their experiences of the above frames and maybe suggest something comparable around the 1k mark?

ojom
    Free Member

Northwind here has a hemlock as does Mustard.

They seem to love em.

flip
    Free Member

Next year?!?!?

Its March ish so it is..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not ridden either and not likely to but with that short list I’d buy the cotic simply because it’s not a pace. Seeing how they treat their customers has put me off for life.

wwaswas

I think you’ll find a number of the smaller uk bike designers will be releasing new FS bikes this year. Probably a bit early to be deciding ‘for certain’ what you’ll buy in a years time.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got a hemlock, and my housemate had the pace.

both very good, both will do all you ask of them.

both are usually available to demo – the chaps at 18 bikes are friendly, and the flapjack next door in the woodbine cafe is worth the trip alone.

ride both, then decide.

i found the pace to be a touch more arse-up-head-down-fast-and-efficient.

and the hemlock is a touch more ‘fun’ – sorry, i can’t put it any better than that.

there’s not really much in it.

don’t bet on both frames still being available in their current form next year…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Next year?!?!?

Its March ish so it is..

I’m getting my homework done early, will lookout for test rides as well.

Northwind

TBC is spot on, love my Hemlock to bits. But I don’t think you’ll be able to get one next year unless it’s old stock somewhere or used. I will now bore you with how good it is just like I do everyone else:

It’s not the most efficient climber- it does go up no bother at all and did me fine enduro racing, but it’s very active at the rear, I use the propedal quite a bit. And tbh I think it’s only really at its best in long fork mode, I’ve run it at 130mm and it works fine but it lacks the spark and playfulness it has at 150-160mm so I treat 130mm as climbing mode. There are better 130mm bikes. Course, the very active rear end is a tradeoff of the descending/bump soaking performance, which is fantastic. Oh and yes it does look a bit like a dockside crane. The old design chainstays could snap, but the revised ones don’t and any new bike you get will have them (they’re backwards compatible too)

I’ve had it built at about 27lbs with 150mm Revs and it was fast as you like and fantastic for trail centre stuff, now it’s 31 lbs with coil lyriks, a Works head angle reducer and fat bits for harder use and more durability. Wee bit of a tradeoff there but worthwhile I think.

It’ll do anything I want it to though- went to fort william and spent a day on the uplift then went and did a west highland way stretch… Went to France and did a Tour de France cat 1 road climb :mrgreen: Followed by an uplift and 1200 metre vertical descent the next day. I’ve raced DH on it, badly, and it’s going to fort william again for the endurance dh race in July in which I will also do badly. And it’s done Pentlands XC slogs and more laps of red and black trail centres than I can remember. I’m not that good a rider so it’s one excellent skills compensator.

So yeah. Ace. Arguably overkill for what you describe but it’s one of the very few big bikes I’ve ridden at glentress’s red and not felt like I was wasting my time- even when it’s mad overkill it’s still hilarious to ride and doesn’t need to be constantly pinned to be fun.

There may or may not be a Hemlock replacement around by then which hopefully won’t be any better as I can’t afford a new one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Opinions please?’ is closed to new replies.