Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Opinions on the Scott Genius?
  • Kieran

I’m looking for a new longish travel FS bike, The bike I really want is the new Cannondale Jekyll, but they don’t seem to be available till April next year so lookng around for something in the meantime.

The Scott Genius looks very simelar, and aparently designed by the same bloke as the new Jekyll. Thinking back though I don’t think I’ve ever seen one out on the trails.

So would like the opinions of anyone who has one, or just anyone who has an opinion really.

Main use is going to be for ragging round trail centres, trips to the alps and maybe the odd blast round the cotswolds so it needs to be a good climber as well as descender.

jedi

my mate rode the new genius lt and loved it!

bol

I’ve always thought it was a bit full of itself. The Scott Quite Clever would be a little less arrogant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jools182
    Free Member

I tried one and it rides really well. I just font like how they look

TooTall
    Free Member

I had one of the first Genius back in 2005 and it was brilliant. They don’t get the coverage they deserve and anyone who has actually ridden them has really liked them.

juan
    Free Member

What tootall says, mainly due to the fact that setting up such bike is not as straight forward as others. But once it’s done it’s done.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have test ridden them twice – proper tests as well not round the car park.

Hated it. Felt sluggish and uninspiring and all the traction control gubbins made it feel like I was putting in more effort with my thumbs than with my legs. In house shock means sending it to Switzerland for servicing as well.

Better bikes out there for less money IMO

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had a 2005 Genius for a couple of years. Good bike but once I moved to Scotland and started doing more serious stuff I found it a bit twitchy. I rate my current Blur LT2 much better in every respect.

One thing I don’t like on bikes is major parts that are specific to a manufacturer. If you need the Genius rear shock sorted it can pretty much only be done at a Scott dealer

neninja
    Free Member

A mates got one and loves it. He uses his for trail centres and natural dales/nym trails – it seems pretty efficient on the climbs but doesn’t descends as well as some 140mm bikes

juan
    Free Member

it seems pretty efficient on the climbs but doesn’t descends as well as some 140mm bikes

Well you can’t have it all can you 😉
    You need to choose your side;)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

juan – Member

it seems pretty efficient on the climbs but doesn’t descends as well as some 140mm bikes

Well you can’t have it all can you
    You need to choose your side;)

Actually you can, well you can get close anyway. Lots of bikes climb just as well as a Genius but are much better on the descents

IdleJon

and anyone who has actually ridden them has really liked them.

😆

I demo’d a couple and I disliked them – same reasons as above, felt sluggish, too complicated, etc.

I was able to call on a workshop full of bike mechanics, and speak to Scott warranty guy when setting up the bike, but it just never ‘felt’ right.

Having said that, it’s a few years since I rode one, so I’d guess they’ll ride rather differently now?

sambob
    Free Member

I loved my demo genius 20, no way i could afford it though 🙁

deep_river
    Free Member

I have a genius mc40, and absolutley love it. I would say that after the Kona stinky I had a few years back it has been the best bike I’ve had. And I’ve been riding mountain bikes since the day they came into this country!

househusband
    Free Member

A friend had one a few years ago… as others have pointed out many parts are rather peculiar to Scott; bearings (non-standard) and shock parts (it’s a pull shock) were hard to obtain and it spent lots of time getting serviced. This was an older one, admittedly.

brakes
    Free Member

mate of mine is on his second carbon genius and is considering getting a third in 2011 as the travel is going up
    very nice looking and handling bike, nice racey, stiff and fast feel for a 5/6″ bike
    I believe that Pace can now service the proprietary shocks in the UK rather than having to send them to DT in Switzerland
    2011 one with more travel looks lovely

Kieran

Hmm, mixed opinions then.

Think I’ll wait for the Jekyll

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on the Scott Genius?’ is closed to new replies.