• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Opinions on older Hope brakes
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Apologies to those who frequent Retrobike as well.
    Got some older Hope calipers, #3 front and #5 rear. Thats because of the levers fitted and cables. It could change. I am told by the retroexperts that they are meant for 165 and 145 mm discs. Must admit to having not seen those only 140 and 160. Stuck with the latter size as they are for my Cotic X cable operated project. Am I wasting my time or does anyone have experience of juggling disc size by that 5mm.
    I went for the Hope system as the hoses leave the levers at the correct angle, everything is compact and they were cheap. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Which calipers? Mini are all silver with two part calipers, mono mini black with coloured bore caps and are not split calipers are one part

5 is a 160 front / 140 rear, 3 is a 180 front / 160 rear – or at leat thats what I am running them with

uplink
    Free Member

I definitely have some old [two part] Minis and they run 165/185 as the OP suggested
    Wonder if they changed at some point before they went to the Monos?

JonR
    Free Member

I’ve adjusted calipers by 5mm simply by using a lot of washers between the mount and the caliper and they worked fine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jonr – these are IS callipers – no adaptor adding washers moves them horizontally not vertically.

Check with hope – they are helpful

nbt

#3 front is for 185.

#5 rear is for 145. A + 20 mount will give you 165 which is a far more common size of rotor to find

this is the standard sizing used on the O2/C2 and the original minis.

As TJ says, IS mount calipers cannot be adjusted to cater for rotor sizes short of using an adapter

However I don’t recall Hope Minis aver came in a cable actuated version – in fact personally I’ve *never* seen a cable operated hope brake, but there could have been some years ago

anyway, rotors are still knocking around –

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/8389/Hope_Mini_Disc_Brake_Rotor

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

or put the callipers the other way round from nbt and get 160 front and rear ( or 165)

I am deffo running both mono and mono mini 5 and 3 callipers with 160m front and rear discs with no issues

nickhead
    Free Member

Pre Mono, Hope were indeed 145/165/185/205

I remember because of the indignation at *another* change when they went from 160/180 etc to 163/183

Onzadog
    Free Member

Unless they’re xc4 calipers. Things were a bit different with those. This is where a picture paints a thousand words.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have just had a careful check. I do have the older silver mini ( edited) callipers ( no 3 and no 5) runnning on 160 mm discs there is a tiny (maybe 1mm) overlap of pad that is not touching the disc.

so I think 165 is right – but 160 will work so long as you watch for a lip developing on the pad

nbt

mono calipers (one piece) ran 160 / 180

original mini calipers (2 piece) ran 165 /185 etc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on older Hope brakes’ is closed to new replies.