Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Opinions on old marzocchi Z1s vs modern forks
  • forteh
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have a bit of a dilemma with my intense 5.5 evp.

I currently have ’01 Z3QR20 forks, they’re 5″ travel (perfectly suited to the frame) nice and plush but a little heavy and the rebound damping is a little rudimentary using pumping rods rather than cartridges. The machined arch also isn’t particularly stiff – with the axle and crown off each leg can be twisted in opposite directions quite easily.

I have a bunch of spare bomber parts from that era which means I will effectively be able to build up a set of 5″ forks with the damping cartridges from the original Z1 BAMs but using a set of later lowers with the integrated M-Arch which is significantly stiffer than the machined brace. I also have one of the easton alloy steerers that will help shed some weight. I’m hoping to get them to about 1850g which whilst isn’t super light compared to some modern forks it is about 400g lighter than the Z3s.

Basically aside from the lack of slow speed compression circuit on the Z1s, would I notice significant improvement in the forks performance between the 5″ Z1 hybrid or a modern pair of air forks?

Has anyone got experience of riding both types of forks and able to offer advice as to whether the outlay for new forks would outweigh the benefit to riding?

For information I really only ride round cannock chase at the moment so nothing taxing or fast, I’m not a racer and to be honest I’m not all that fussed by the lack of low speed compression damping so far as the forks don’t bob all that much with my climbing style.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve got some Z3QR20 Bombers from 01 but mine have the fully M arch.

To be honest I really can’t justify upgrading them as they work just fine. Have ridden other bikes with different, more modern forks and to be honest there’s not a lot in it.

lardman
    Free Member

I run a pair of 2007 Z1 freerides, and have also spent a little time riding some later FOX, and ROckShox forks.
    I think that you’ll definitely notice better damping, and the difference in the variable speed damping characteristics.

Having said that, it’s VERY in the realm of the ‘law of diminishing returns’. My skill and bike handling is a bigger barrier to maximising trail speed/effectiveness than the damping of my fork/shock.

One big reason for me sticking with my Z1’s is that the maintenance interval is about once every 5 years, not every five rides. I have too much going on in life to be servicing my forks five times a year.

Another reason is that modern forks are very overpriced. If a decent set of RS or FOX was about £4-500 I would have probably bought a set, but at £7-800 i wont be going this route until my Z1’s are fully expired.

As you might gather from my ‘forum’ name, saving weight could be more effectively done from my ‘end’ than from the bike. Weight is a consideration for some, but not for me.

forteh
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys, pushing me towards keeping the Z1 frankenstein fork (frankenfork?) on the bike I think 😀

I serviced my forks for the first time in 2010 (I got them in 03)when the seals went and apart from silvery oil and a couple of bits of swarfe in the bottom they were perfect – I am very much a fan of open bath which is another thing that puts me off the offerings from fox etc.

@lardman, how exactly do you mean by noticing better damping? IIRC the Z1 cartridge compression damping was speed sensitive but not adjustable, I don’t know if this was actually a shim stack as used in modern forks though? I’ve used the Z3s for the last decade so I don’t actually know anything different; they use a basic pumping rod design which has damping limitations but how much better the cartridges will be I don’t know.

lardman
    Free Member

I guess i meant that will all more modern forks, you’ll feel a performance increase. So, they do get better.
    BUT, it’s all quite small increases compared to forks of the last 5-10 years.

Having said that, my forks are SSV and it might be quite a jump in performance from yours to a very new fork.

Having a reliable fork is more important to me than a new one tho’.

Coyote
    Free Member

Having a reliable fork is more important to me than a new one tho’.

Agreed!

chestrockwell

You’d notice a lot of difference if you bought some decent modern forks but you’d be looking at spending £250+ for ’em.

Question is if you’re happy with the ones you’ve got for the riding you do are you prepared to spend the money for the gain? If you are then I’d go for it as the new ones (as long as you get a decent set) will be better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on old marzocchi Z1s vs modern forks’ is closed to new replies.