• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rod.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Opinions on Gaggia Classic espresso machine?
  • Rod

CAFFEINE CRISIS!! My machine appears to have broken today (La Pavoni Eurobar Deluxe) so I’m looking at replacements…

The Rancilio Silvia sounds great but is pricey, whilst the Gaggia Classic seems popular at less than half the price (and I’ve got a £50 Amazon voucher to use). I’ve also seen that you can upgrade the steam wand to get better foam…

Anyone got a Gaggia Classic (must be quite a few on here?) and, if so, any opinions?

Cheers!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s ok yes. I prefer my Mum’s cuisinart one tho and it was cheaper.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

There have been a few threads on this. Classic is good but I’ve found the Baby is better. Seems to have better pressure (although rated the same), the steam nozzle pivots so you can get a jug under it, and water filling is easier.

Rod

Cheers (I tried searching the forum but didn’t get many hits – I’m sure it had been discussed many times though!)

BigJohn

I like my Classic. If you use a grinder it is as good as you can get. If you use pre-ground then you don’t really have any control over what comes out.

After years of denial I’ve realised that the grinder is more important than the machine. My Iberital MC2 grinder is totally faff-free. Easier to make a cup than spooning it out of a tin and no mess or waste.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

the steam nozzle pivots so you can get a jug under it

? My Classic has a wand that pivots (left to right that is – do you mean up and down ?

I also have a Gaggia stainless milk jug like this

It fits under the wand more easily and also seems to froth milk better – I don’t know if the design of it ‘spins’ the milk better?

I am perfectly happy with mine but I only have a really crap Morphy Richards to compare it to.

mefty
    Free Member

Can’t you get you existing one mended? I used some bloke to Glasgow to mend my pavoni

MrSmith
    Free Member

i would get the La Pavoni mended.
    gaggia classic is a good machine, better than the baby and more robust (i have both)

Rod

Thanks all. The La Pavoni needs a lot of TLC (Gaggia parts and service seem a lot more readily available?) and has never been that great (and not much in the way of tips to get the best out of it).

Will probably just sell it “as is” on fleabay – will probably cost me not much more overall than getting it repaired after sale proceeds (after vocuher a Gaggia Classic will cost just over £150 on Amazon).

TiRed

Had my Classic about six years. It needed a new boiler just after the warranty ran out… Makes great coffee, but I don’t grind, just use Illy exclusively. The brass basket holder is the same in the cheaper version and the stainless steel of the Classic never looks that clean to be honest. They’ve changed the pannerello frother and it is much better now…

Can you not have yours repaired?

I’m drinking an espresso machiato made with said machine as I type.

TooTall
    Free Member

Look for Classics on E Bay – loads of ‘tried it, too much effort, been in the cupboard since’ on there. Give them a proper clean and de-scale and most are nearly new! Got mine for under £60 on there a while back and it is solid.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a classic and tbh it has been ok until I discovered a tweek which envolves a tweek to the pressure relief valve

Just to confirm I have a Ranchello Rocky grinder so there is no grind issues

Post tweek I now get superb coffee

RichPenny
    Free Member

How involving is the tweak? Also, have you bothered with a bottomless filter? Was thinking of just machining the bottom off mine. Its a pig to clean, and who really drinks single espressos?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What’s a bottomless filter then? 😕

RichPenny
    Free Member

You don’t have those silly little spouts on the bottom of the filter because there is no bottom. Coffee goes straight from the bottom of the basket into the cup. It’s like going rigid, another level of luddite behaviour

nibby
    Free Member

I had one and the boiler went just after warranty ran out. Bought a Rancilio, expensive but glad I bought it. Makes great coffee.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah right RP, I see what you mean. I like my spouts 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

here you go Rich the posts you need to look at are by sparky

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1143118905/0

I have not as yet tried the open porta filter so I cannot comment

In 5 years I have had one problem with my gaggia in that the pressure pump stopped but the replacement was only £30 and a 5 minute job to fit

Cannot complain realy

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers dude, when I get a free 30 minutes I’ll open her up and have a play.

Should be in about 18 years 😆

😥

saladdodger
    Free Member

na in 18 years time you will be too busy being a ” dads taxi” 😕

RichPenny
    Free Member

Don’t have a car, and never want another 🙂 She’s going to hate me…

Rod

Doh… the Amazon price shot up overnight (by £60), so seriously considering the Rancilio Silvia instead.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on Gaggia Classic espresso machine?’ is closed to new replies.