Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • opinions of VW Golf GTI ED30
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Looking to buy a new car as my car is sold pending payment.

The GF wants a scirocco (Derv) which we would finance

Or

Id quite like a ED30 which would be cheaper and prob more fun to drive.

Does anyone have any real world views of this car – i had a MK4 GTI which was crap TBH – Would the mk5 ED30 be worth a punt.

DickBarton

Mate has a Golf Edition 30 – I personally don't like Golf's – too common, too expensive and I reckon they are seriously overweight and don't offer anything else that the rest of the VAG group offer (I've driven a few VAG cars – not anything amazing but I think I've driven enough to be sure of my opinion).

Saying that, the drive out the Edition 30 is much more enjoyable than all the other Golf's I've been in…not driven it myself but it seems to please my need for enjoyment.

Still wouldn't have one myself but that is down to my dislike of Golfs…mate's car would be lovely to get a shot of and I suspect I'd have problems handing it back to him…

steveh

I've had a brief play in a mk5 GTI and it was a top car. Normal car when driven gently but with enough power to be fun. You can tell it's a heavy car but handling is pretty good too.

alwyn
    Free Member

If you want that buy a Seat Leon Cupra R and save half the cash.

oxnop
    Free Member

I hadn't thought about the leon – I'll have a search as I'm always up for a bit of money saving!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Got a 2.0 TD GT which shares a lot of common bits with the GTi, cracking handling and allegedly quicker than the MkV GTi. A bit plasticy inside for my liking and feels far less well made than our 9 year old passat.

br
    Free Member

Why bother getting a diesel, just buy something a bit older and you can afford a proper engine from the vast depreciation saving.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have a MKV GTI and there is some nonsense being talked here.

The myth that the diesel is as quick/quicker comes from the MKIV which was a big disappointment for all concerned.

Kerb weight on the Golf is around 1350kg, slightly less than a Focus ST and a lot less than a Civic Type R.

I originally test drove the diesel and the GTI back to back over 15 miles of country roads that I know like the back of my hand. There is no comparison. The diesel is much harder to keep in the power band, the nose dives under braking and lifts under power, the suspension and damping are nowhere close.

It all boils down to how much you get to drive the car on good roads. If you want something that feels like a proper drivers car get a GTI. If you want something sensible, economical, and with a bit of overtaking grunt, get a diesel.

EDIT – A bit more relevant to the OP, the Edition 30s should hold their value even better than a standard GTI and the car can easily handle the extra 30bhp.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Oxnop,

Get a MK2 Leon Cupra, its a "lightweight" Mk5 Edition 30 with 260 bhp !!, looks a lot better ,higher spec (more gadgets) less expensive and handles mint. Done nearly 50 K in it and its not two yet 8)

iainc

Oxnop – I am selling my 07 GTi, 5 dr, red, mint, with 31K miles – drop me a mail if you want any more info 8)

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1359946.htm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘opinions of VW Golf GTI ED30’ is closed to new replies.