Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Opinions needed – Is a 140mm travel 29er too much sus for Kent/Surrey trails?
  • trialsguru
    Free Member

I’m in need of help!

I’m struggling to decide what trail bike to buy, but I think I’ve narrowed my search down to either a 120mm or 140mm 29er though I am concerned I’ll make the wrong decision!

I mostly ride Kent and Surrey trails with occasional visits to Afan, Cwmcarn and BPW.

I want a bike that will be good for both ups and downs, covering long days in the saddle but also capable of hitting the red and black runs when needed!

I’m looking at the Specialized camber comp carbon and the YT Jeffsy.

what I’m interested to know is whether the 120mm will suffer greatly on tough descents and whether the 140mm will be a slog on longer climbs?

Any thoughts or experience feedback would be a great help!

Northwind

I don’t know the surrey hills but one of my requirements before I sold my hardtail was that my big 29er should be able to do the same job that it used to do. It easily can, and I don’t feel at all bad knocking out XC miles on it.

(mine was a BMC Trailfox, now a Trek Remedy, not so different from the Jeffsy)

muggomagic

I don’t think either will suffer greatly, they will both be fine in any of the places you’ve mentioned but just have different strengths.

EDIT: I was in a similar state where I couldn’t decide between a Stumpjumper or the Jeffsy. Both great bikes and most likely nothing between them in performance. One of the big advantages specialized has is that I could test ride it and if there is a problem with the bike I can take it back to the shop I bought it from as they’re just a few minutes away, whereas the Jeffsy I’ve got to box up and arrange to send it back.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davosaurusrex

The carbon Jeffsy is light enough to be fine around here. I have a carbon stumpy 29er with 140 pikes, weighs 29lb and doesn’t hold me back on local South Downs trails

mboy
    Free Member

Fast tyres and an efficient pedalling suspension platform will make far more of a difference than the total amount of travel.

Riding an Evil Wreckoning right now, thought that it would be a bit of a one trick pony but it’s surprisingly good as an all round trail bike!

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

What car do you drive and carry the bike on?

Volvo – 120mm will be fine.

Audi – 140mm minimum, but you might find 160mm is a better fit.

😉

jabbi
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get too fixated on the amount of travel, if set up right 120 or 140mm isn’t going to make that much difference IMHO, look more at the intended use of the bike and the geometry. Camber is sort of xc/trail whereas Jeffsy is more trail/enduro so slacker and possibly built tougher so heavier? Do you need that toughness? They both look to be capable, pick tyres to suit your terrain and either should be good.

br
    Free Member

I’ve a Camber Evo which came with 120mm both ends, but I’ve pushed out the Pike to 140mm. I live in the Scottish Borders and it’s fine here, so keeping it at 120mm will be more than enough for your trails.

Good bike, and very happy with it.

I’d go Jeffsy 100%

Reportedly climbs well – if its Rockshox, they virtually lock out anyway

Better spec

Lighter

Will be better on the downs

jambalaya
    Free Member

Most of the trails in the Surrey Hills can be ridden comfortably on a 120mm 26″ hardtail, however once you start jumping and or getting into more freeride features then that changes rapidly. Rutted, jumpy bike park trails are more comfortable and faster on a fs. Any bike is a compromise, personally I would take the extra travel as I can’t see the climbing ability being that different

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I test rode a bottom of range AL Jeffsy at Forest of Dean,it surprised me how agile and fun it was I’m 5’7 and could easily loft the front wheel up and bunny hop it.Only things I didn’t like was I struggled holding the corners on it-felt like it wanted to stand up rather than be leaned although this could of just been the setup-slightly wider bars could of maybe sorted this for me or perhaps short peeps and 29er front ends don’t play nicely.The other thing I found was I was clumsily pedaling straight lines through trickier root sections and cleaning them.I think I’m more of a go slower and savor the trail,hop about hop over stuff kind of rider and the Jeffsy seemed like a hell of a bike but I felt it would just strip some character from the trails I ride in trade for blistering overall A to B speed.Luckily for me my Capra is a bit slower in the straights and more composed for me in the corners so a better balanced ride ‘for me’.

Gotama
    Free Member

Depends on how you ride. I have a banshee prime and a very slack 120mm hardtail. The banshee is fun for going as fast as possible, it compensates for my skills and 135mm doesn’t feel like a wallowy big bike. That said I ride the hardtail more regularly as I like the challenge it brings and the added efficiency on the ups is noticeable. Personally if I could only have one bike it would be the shorter travel option. I suspect given the bikes you’ve mentioned there is a budget reason but if not then I’d also throw in the transition smuggler, banshee phantom and orange segment into the mix as perfect Surrey hills one bike to rule all pot. Live in peaslake fwiw so 99% riding round here with the odd bike park and Alps trip.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Minimum 160 in Surrey Hills 😉 😛

But nah, 140 is fine.

Climbing is a lot down to technique. If you climb balanced over the front and standing, you are bobbing like crazy and then the travel becomes an issue. That or you lock it out or have dual position forks. Steady seated climb is far more efficient and less travel dependent (except on single pivot bikes 😉 )

I climb on a 150 fork hard tail and 170 AM bouncer with 160 rear and really don’t notice anything between them in terms of travel effecting the climbs. No lock out.

Bike weight I do notice a bit, but only if I decide to sprint up something. I’m no sprinter though.

Descents, really doesn’t matter. People in SHills on DH rigs and some on rigid hard tails. Same trails. The DH rigs may be a pig to climb though, but more because they’re never geared low enough and are super heavy. A rigid hard tail is just a lot more suspension in the legs. Unless it’s a rigid fat bike, then it’s all in the tyres 😉

chrismac

I Have a camber evo and tested a jeffsy recently. I would get the jeffsy without any hesitation, better geometry and so surefooted. Only reason I didn’t buy one is I have an enduro as well so don’t need that in between bike.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Had a camber evo, now got a smuggler, both are fine with steep stuff on ran more, jumping all of fly tipper as well as making the hills much, much easier than a longer bike, get less tired, get up the hill quicker, get in more descents.

NormalMan

I was pretty sure I was over the FS thing/itch and I’d be sticking to HT from now on. BUT why oh why did I read this thread! I’ve now been looking at the Jeffsy and thinking…hhhmmmm…maybe!

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

I think with 29er wheels, 120mm is plenty. Certainly for where you ride mostly.
    I’m in the same area as you roughly (Canterbury) and I have a 120mm 29er and a 29er hardtail.

Wookster

Have you looked at a Transition Smuggler mate?? Great all rounder and takes bigger stuff in its stride no bother?

acidtest
    Free Member

I ride a SB66 and spec epic around the Surrey Hills, the SB66 has 152mm of travel and the epic has a 100mm. The SB66 is a lot faster and more fun overall, the epic is pretty scary at times when things get fast. I also find the extra travel can get you out of trouble if you don’t know the trail and find yourself out of your depth all of a sudden.

I reckon go for the 140mm and you’ll very rarely be under biked. The newer bikes don’t really suffer too badly uphill with long travel like the old skool ones used to.

trialsguru
    Free Member

thanks for the replies guys, opinions are helping but still seems like either bike would be fine!

Out of interest, where have people been trying the Jeffsy and how?

If I could jump on the 140mm bike, I’d get a feeling for that extra travel.

I have a cannondale FSI for race duties, so maybe the 120mm would be too close to that and I’d find I wouldn’t use the hard tail if I had the 120?

acidtest
    Free Member

When the sag is set up right I find you don’t really notice how much travel you have until you need.

I still reckon go for the 140 as I doubt you’d be wishing you had less travel but would more likely find yourself wishing you had more. For example bombing it down ‘I should coco’ in the Peaslake on my epic is scary as %^&! keeping up with my mates but on the sb66 it’s no problem at all.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Opinions needed – Is a 140mm travel 29er too much sus for Kent/Surrey trails?’ is closed to new replies.