Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Opinion on a On One Scadal 29er
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Hi guys, I’ve been riding a mates Genesis Tarn for a couple of weeks (he broke his arm, let me borrow his bike, nice guy!) and love it. I usually ride a FS bike and like the idea of having a hardtail for messing around on too.

I have found a decent deal on an On One Scandal 29er frame and was thinking about buying that but i’m not too sure what kind of bike it is really. I realise the fact the wheels are 29″ compared to the Tarn’s 27.5″ will make this bike a little less playful which i’m ok with. I’m quite happy to venture into the 29er zone as i’ve never owned one plus my girlfriend will be riding it from time to time and she is a beginner so thought it could be good for her. However I am wondering if it is a proper XC race style bike or is the geometry of it still fairly playfull and something you would be comfortable point down some lairy technical sections and doing some wheelies, hops, skids, endos on etc… Or would I be buying into a proper XC race machine?

Ta!

Northwind

It’s a proper XC bike. I liked mine and it can do harder stuff but that’s really not what it’s for, it’s not the bike I’d ever choose for it. And if you build it so it’s as good for that stuff as it can be, it’ll be less good at what it’s good at.

damascus
    Free Member

I owned a Scandal 29er a few years ago. It’s the only bike I regretted selling. It was a terrible green colour. If it had been raw I would have kept it. Good times!

It was a xc mile muncher. Comfortable bike. Loved it.

I’m no bike geometry guru, I just know what I like. It’s getting on a bit now so perhaps it doesn’t have the latest geometry.

From memory they did a version 1 and 2. Make sure it has a tapered headtube and I think they had changeable drop outs.

Check the rear seat stays to make sure they are not cracked. That seems to be where they go.

Frames seem to go for around £100 give or take depending on condition.

whatgoesup

That reminds me – time to dust off the frame I’ve got in the garage and actually sell it (I had two at one time – one SS and one geared – now only run the geared so the SS frame is just sitting there).

Great bikes BTW – yes, definitely an XC machine.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Yeah not too keen on an XC machine, I was something I can do a few hucks on from time to time and not wreck myself…

anyone got any cheap 26″ hardcore hardtail frames/bikes for sale??

bruceonabike
    Free Member

The Tarn is steel and the Scandal is alu so they will feel different, regardless of wheel size and geometery. I’m pretty sure the Scandal is an alloy version of the steel Inbred, I have one of those and they are superb.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ahh Scandals….I’ve had a few.

Northwind

anus – Member

anyone got any cheap 26″ hardcore hardtail frames/bikes for sale?

Millions tbh! Check pinkbike and ebay, the price of a soul or blue pig or bfe these days is ridiculous

(how big? I know where there’s a lovely xl Chameleon that’ll be looking for a new home soon…)

mcdonagh2962
    Free Member

I had a scandal and swapped it for a lurcher , what a mistake the scandal was a much better frame. You need to get the later v2 version with the rounded seat stay which has a tapered headset and is slightly slacker than the lurcher .one of the best frames I ever owned and now it belongs to my best mate .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Opinion on a On One Scadal 29er’ is closed to new replies.