Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Operation Mincemeat
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tonight, BBC2, 2100

Presented by the chap who recently wrote a superb book on this subject, Ben Macintyre.

A great story, well told (in the book, so I expect it will also be so on the tellybox)

IanMunro
    Free Member

More importantly it’s Dads Army at the mo!!!!
    Open 2 3 Up 2 3 Bang 2 3 Bang 2 3

beaker

Cheers for that!

noteeth
    Free Member

It was an excellent documentary, despite the story having almost passed into legend. Very moving at the end, too – with the unhappy Glyndwr Michael’s ‘service’ finally recognised on his tombstone.

Cholmondeley’s widow is an old family friend – like many of the WWII British intelligence service, he was a brilliantly daft man.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That was superb. Loved it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I found it a bit odd that the corpse got honoured, good docu though.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Interesting that the programme basically reiterated verbatim the “official story” without any form of discussion over the HMS Dasher link and the movement of Seraph to the West coast at the last minute

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member
    I found it a bit odd that the corpse got honoured…

Isn’t that the best way to do your bit for your country – wait until you are dead?

None of that nasty discomfort, or training, or getting shot at.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

Isn’t that the best way to do your bit for your country – wait until you are dead?

None of that nasty discomfort, or training, or getting shot at.

🙄

noteeth
    Free Member

without any form of discussion over the HMS Dasher link and the movement of Seraph

Comprehensive discussion of the underwear issue, though…

simonm
    Free Member

great story, intresting to hear it was Flemmings original idea..

crazy-legs

I’ve seen a documentary on it once before years ago, got this on Sky+ so I’ll be watching it tonight. Jeremy Clarkson’s excellent documentary on the “Greatest Raid of All Time” was on before it too.

Again, seen it before but it’s a good bit of film and there’s no denying that, on serious documentaries like that, Clarkson can be a good presenter, he’s capable of putting aside his own ego.

stumpy01

Missed the Clarkson one – turned over as it was finishing so might iPlayer that one.
    The Operation Mincemeat one was pretty good though.

uplink
    Free Member

Hunting partridges with a revolver eh?

Just a tad eccentric then? 🙂

grunty
    Free Member

What’s eccentric about that? Stops you getting a mouthful of broken teeth after chomping on shot.

;o)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Clarkson can be a good presenter, he’s capable of putting aside his own ego.

So not just me then. Personally I can’t stand Clarkson, but I saw “Greatest Raid of All Time” for the first time last night, and thought it was absolutely brilliant…..it literally had me on the edge of my seat, even got a little emotional. I’m going to have to re-evaluate my opinion of Clarkson.

failedengineer

I agree. Clarkson is good at things like this – he seems genuinely in awe of those chaps’ achievements and bravery, unlike some dry history documentaries (not all). He probably thinks, like me, that he couldn’t do those things himself.

Rich_s

The VC one he did is even better (someone will be along in a minute with the spoiler…)

pennine
    Free Member

No-one seen the 50s film ‘The man who never was’ then?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Operation Mincemeat’ is closed to new replies.