Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Opening up the inglenook/ woodburner stove progress pics…
  • Three_Fish
    Free Member

That’s come up beautifully. What a difference!

granny_ring

Yes, good job!

ononeorange

Great job. Did you just remove the bricks that are out in the first pic, or did you go further?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Cheers. Its been pointed in lime mortar so in two minds whether I should seal it or not, likes to breathe lime mortar apparently, chap said to use linseed oil if I do.

@ononeorange just the bricks in the first pic, and the four that are resting on the arch in that pic.

What do the stove fitters attach the registry plate to? the arch or the inglenook sides

granny_ring

Angle iron further up the chimney where its level.

bigblackshed

What do the stove fitters attach the registry plate to?

Mines on the steel arch “lintel”.

ononeorange

Cheers Cruz. Great thread.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wow, what a difference, keep the pics coming.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@GR @bigblackshed cheers, I think the lintel one would seal against stuff coming down the chimney more? or do you guys have vermiculite packed around the flue?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Some rather fetching mosaic tiles

and these don’t even feel like a tile, entire half room furnished in them under the underlay, its got to be a 70’s fad surely?! 😆

The brick hearth is complete, pointer was a true craftsman!

Need to decide how to finish the skirting off, either stop at the first hearth brick, stop at the inglenook edge with a cutout, or fill the side skirting in and leave without on front?

granny_ring

Pretty sure the fitters used something like THIS to make an internal rectangle frame which is screwed/bolted around 2 bricks up from the arch then a rectangle of galvanised steel cut to fit and screwed to the frame if that makes sense?
    Can do a pic tomorrow if you want and yes vermiculite around the flue, 5 bags worth if I remember correctly.

granny_ring

Hope this kind of shows the idea!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Cheers GR looks a tidy bit O steel work that :mrgreen:

nedrapier

Some nice work here!

Moving into a place next Friday with this. Coal fireplace in the middle of all that. No idea what’s behind all the brick. It’s quite nice, but not big enough for a stove, maybe not even with the inner, recessed brick arch taken out.

granny_ring

You wont know until you look. 😉
    It looks ok though.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Could be a large original builders opening that nedrapier, looking at how wide the alcove is to the side

northernmatt

Depends how old the building is. Might just be a square hole, might be an arch. To be fair a gaping hole will be better than that collection of bricks.

nedrapier

No, granny_ring! 🙂

The larger arch is 75cm tall by 75 wide, so still not really big enough for a 3/4kw stove, so Messrs Club Hammer and Cold Chisel will be doing some subtle investigative work.

Happily, there’s another couple of building go nearby that were built at the same time (1930s) by the same people, so some friendly doorstep ping might win me some pointers.

nedrapier

Aha!

Check this puppy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KKC4OYG

Messrs Club Hammer and Cold Chisel might have to stand back and see what Messrs Drill and Endoscope can find out.

What with the fire surround, the drains, the chimney, the floor voids and the cavity walls, I think I might get my money’s worth out of this! As long as I don’t end up going endoscope crazy and swiss-cheesing my house to look inside things.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Looking forward to the vids LOL

granny_ring

Well yes if there’s some neighbours that have removed the fireplace then ideal, get knocking!
    A mate with a trailer helped me take our tiled fireplace out. There was a lot of rubble behind the fire inset and extra rows of bricks behind and on the sides for the inset. Glad he had a trailer. 🙂

DrP

Can I join in….??
    With the horrible surround ripped off..

Hammer time…

Builder’s fireplace, but with manky lintel

Lintel out

New lintel in..

Just need to fill the floor defect, line with 12mm hardibacker, and get a hearth!! (and rip out the gas piping…)

DrP

granny_ring

Are you dropping a liner down there?

DrP

The plan is to leave the chimney stack on the ground floor, and remove it from the second floor as we’re having a loft conversion…We’ll take out the bricks and have a twin lined steel flue/pipe.

I’ll have a short length of liner from the ‘floor above to the register plate’.

So yes!

DrP

DrP

Nedrapier, just rip that thing off!!

There’s BOUND to be a decent builder’s fireplace behind it!

Get yourself an SDS drill and get smashing!!

DrP

granny_ring

oh right that’s different, not heard of flexi going into twinwall!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@DRP looking good! So on floor two there will be just a pipe at edge of room from floor to ceiling?

DrP

The twin lined will be ‘in a stud wall’ type thing, coming through a flat roof…

DrP

boxelder

OP – how much was the flue pipe and how high does it go. Just taken the sledge hammer to one similar.

nedrapier

Hello DrP, I was thinking you’d be on here before too long! Very likely to be getting smashy, but now I’ve bought an endoscope I’ll be blimmin well drilling holes in things and looking in dark places.

Didn’t know about SDS drills until just now, and now there’s another item on the shopping list. What did you go for? Happy with it?

boxelder

@dales rider – did you put the glass in the cupboard doors? Similar built in cupboard here.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

“boxelder – Member
    OP – how much was the flue pipe and how high does it go. Just taken the sledge hammer to one similar.”

Flue is ten meters long approx, but reckon they cut about a meter off, 6″ 316 grade twinwall. The flue part of it, with chimney downdraft cowl, registry plate made in situ etc was around £900. Asked on here at the time of quoting and that seemed reasonable.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Just had me first fire! Any tips here would be more than welcome!

Went with 10 balls of scrunched up newspaper, 10 pieces of kindling, door ajar whilst it all fired up, closed door and waited for kindling to get a good fire going, then added a log. Closed the primary air vent on the bottom once fire had started, left the secondory air vent on the bottom at 50%, and left the top airwash vent fully open. Not much movement in the top airwash control, but guessing smoke control kit has something to do with that.

Hows it looking?

granny_ring

Looks good. A few small fires with window open until the horrible burnt smell disappeared is what was in our handbook.

boxelder

I’ve just opened up another one – massive sandstone lintel. Not sure what to do with it yet, may just plaster up and leave the space. 9-10 barrow loads of assorted rubbish, bricks and back burner came out.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Sorry not been on for a while been busy fettlng the stove.

granny_ring – Member

Like that finish what stone is that and which stove are you getting?

The stone is an Indian Sandstone, its very hard reckon its been subjected to a lot of heat and pressure. The stove I went for was a Firefox, a Chinese job which was damaged reduced from £560 to £250 which to be honest havingtaen it apart is all its worth.
    WARNING TO ANYBODY BUYING A FIREFOX “DONT” UNLESS YOU GET IT CHEAP. THE QUALITY CONTROL IS NON-EXISTENT

cruzcampo – Member

Looks supurb Dalesrider, that Morso was in great nick for its age too!

I have had the first 2 days of running the stove had a local steel workshop make a plate which is fixed to the chimney using unistrut, 4 allen bolts to undue and the plate is out. I stuck a piece of fire proof cement board in first over the steel work to give it some protection from the heat, probably not needed.

boxelder – Member

@dales rider – did you put the glass in the cupboard doors? Similar built in cupboard here.
    Yes I glazed them myself, easy to do just take the panels out from the inside and use a small bead to hold the glass in.

Dobbo

Good job Cruz, can’t beat getting stuck in and doing it yourself!

I did our in 2007, did the flue liner as well and got it all signed of for Building regs.

It was a great old fire but it started leaking in the bedroom so it had to go 🙁

All gone..

Repointed and the old fireplace surround tiles used to extended in to the hearth.

Up the flue.

While I was on the roof I re-beded the ridge tiles.

Job done (this was 8 years ago and the house has new carpet redecorated etc.) this was how the decor was when we moved in so dont start 😉

cruzcampo
    Free Member

“granny_ring – Member
    Looks good. A few small fires with window open until the horrible burnt smell disappeared is what was in our handbook.”

Cheers, there was a bit of a odd smell with first fire, thought it may simply be smoke from opening the door putting in a log. How much smoke smell would you typically get once burner settled in? if any at all?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@dalesrider lovely exposed brick there 🙂

@dobbo nice upgrade!

granny_ring

Shouldn’t get any smell after the first few fires.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Opening up the inglenook/ woodburner stove progress pics…’ is closed to new replies.