Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Opening an Cafe – How to?
  • thepublican
    Free Member

Exeter local and business owner here (a pub nearby…).

I’d be very wary of basing your business around 16-18 y.o. college students-they have virtually no disposable income, so you’d be competing on price against co-op and tesco metro for their trade, and they are only there 6 months or so of the year.

Up against BTP and the bakery you definitely need a niche that they don’t have.

-I’d suggest trying to get as much outdoor seating as humanly possible because that’s a weak point for both of them.

-They don’t get any evening trade/sell any significant amount of booze (bakery doesn’t have a license too either) so I’d suggest taking a leaf out of Artigiano on the high st and positioning yourself that way. Hot drink focused during the day, booze focused during the night, and make your interior refurb suitable for both types of customer (I don’t wan’t to drink wine in greasy spoon style cafe…).

Just my t’pence worth…. good luck!

MrNutt
    Free Member

What (Thepublican) said plus…

Come and visit us in Dulverton….

http://www.theexmoorbeastro.com

#1 of 122 Restaurants in Exmoor National Park

Trenchermans Guide

UK top 100 Cannonball Run Chefs Award

Happy to help you out!

Alex
    Chef Patron

poolman
    Free Member

Some brilliant advice advice, I’ve always fancied owning a café, not really hands on but as an investment.

My favourite cafes just do the simple things very well, well located, clean, fresh ingredients, well priced – not the cheapest but I love food so willing to pay for better quality.

Good advice above re covers, spot on, I nearly bought a b&b ages ago but went through the economics of various sizes (3, 4, 5, 6 bed etc) & the 3 & 4 bedders just did not make any money. They cover your costs, the 5th bedroom (if full) tsrtas paying you a decent wage.

Plenty of good advice on here, I’d take up any offers of help.

Rockape63
    Free Member

As others have said, some excellent comments and advice here. The most important thing about running a business (I do)…is making a profit! Not doing something you’ve always wanted to do, something that is ‘close to your heart’, cos frankly that is all bollocks! To be blunt!

Its all about making enough money to give you the lifestyle you are trying to achieve. Very difficult as I mentioned on page one, as most people can cook a bacon roll and make coffee. Your menu certainly doesn’t interest me and no others have made any positive comments either, so perhaps we’re all saving you a potential disaster!

(just trying to help btw :-))

Mooly
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Fair point

akira

If its going to be cycling based then organise rides from the door if possible, bike beans in Ashtead does this and then you get people returning to the cafe hungry and thirsty. I’ll be going out with them later today and spending about a tenner on a bowl of pasta and a drink.

Rockape63
    Free Member

If its going to be cycling based then organise rides from the door if possible, bike beans in Ashtead does this and then you get people returning to the cafe hungry and thirsty. I’ll be going out with them later today and spending about a tenner on a bowl of pasta and a drink.

or…going back to page one, a mobile operation that gives you the freedom and ability to go where the business is (cycle routes for example) and sell interesting pasta type food with a tweeeest!

You could have a few venues depending on days of the week and seasons with different offerings etc. You’ll avoid rent and rates and signing a lease for a long period etc.

chewkw
    Free Member

thepublican – Member
    I’d be very wary of basing your business around 16-18 y.o. college students-they have virtually no disposable income, …

Good point ^^^

I noticed this in the GeordieLand where students (local) always go for the cheapest of the cheap at some newly established “eat & go” whatever name they are fast food. For £2.50 to £3.00 they get a medium baguette with some processed meat filling and a can of pop. The queue is usually 100 hundred people long.

Students that spend money can be a bonus coz those are the rich ones.

I don’t go in there coz I don’t eat sandwish … 😮

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Opening an Cafe – How to?’ is closed to new replies.