Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • opened car door into path of cyclist this morning
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s easily done, we’re all fallible/human.

i’ve been ‘doored’ – i’m a cautious dawdler so wasn’t hurt.

and i’m scared about becoming a ‘doorer’ – a moment of absentmindedness and ‘WHAMMO!’…

project
    Free Member

Well if she had of hit your door you could have been prosecuted for the act of maliciously opening a vehicle door, it does exist, also a large claim off your wifes insurance for damages and legal bills,

so yur wife was stopping berfore a left turn to drop you off, perhaps why as a amn didnt you tell her to drop you off well before the left turn, or after the left turn.

also was it a solid wite line designating the cycle lane, if so you are not allowed to cross it in a motor vehicle.

Just saying like…….

dibboid
    Free Member

I opened the door pretty much where the manhole cover is just at the junction start, the cycle lane had only just started.

Yea I can see her skid marks in the road still. 😀

brakes
    Free Member

I think we all know that your wife is to blame here.
    There, I said it.

allthepies
    Free Member

I opened the door pretty much where the manhole cover is just at the junction start, the cycle lane had only just started.

The cycle lane started quite a way back (where the long dashed lines start), the red paint section is there presumably to warn drivers of its presence at a junction or perhaps due to the double yellows earlier they don’t add red paint on top at that section)

mrmo
    Free Member

i know this is a pedestrian but the same sense applies, you are crossing a lane you as a car driver can only do so if it is safe.

Incidents happen, learn from it and remember drivers have no right to be on the road.

antigee

the opening the door with the other hand thing is actually a really good move – if you don’t do it or haven’t tried it give it go forces you to look outside – rather than concentrate on saying goodbye to the missus

incidentally here in Australia – at least in Victoria car dooring is a specific offence – “The penalty for this offence is now:
    On the spot infringement: $352 Maximum court fine: $1,408″

regretfully last year a proposal to making it a points offence didn’t get passed

edit – incidentally in MrMo’s pic – cars have to give way to peds even if not started crossing – Cyclists are not supposed to undertake cars turning left Left turning vehicle
    Rule: A bike rider must not ride on the left side of a vehicle that is indicating left and turning at an intersection.

soobalias
    Free Member

the cycle lane is for toddlers and old grannies.
    if the cyclist was doing 20mph, they should have been overtaking.

this court finds in favour of Cheers_Drive.

bails

The cycle lane started quite a way back (where the long dashed lines start), the red paint section is there presumably to warn drivers of its presence at a junction

It’s nice how they made the cycle lane and the drain the exact same width, stops the cycle lane flooding y’see. Plus it means you get to rode over a wet metal grate, which is always fun when you’re braking for a corner.

igm

I’m not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of this, but I am going to say that while I’ve never hit a cyclist with my car, and I do try to be observant and sensible with speed and manoeuvres, I sometimes think “there but for the grace of god…” when I hear these stories.

zerocool

By law the person opening the door is at fault. Someone did it to me and when they tried to sue me for damages to the car the magistrate rued in my favour. Got new wheel and forks out of it which was nice

brakes
    Free Member

maybe get out of the boot next time, or perhaps the sunroof.

lightman
    Free Member

In my experience, quite a lot of people do look, but all it takes is a lapse on concentration or your mind being elsewhere for it to happen.
    I tend to use my bike light on strobe if I am going to be going through traffic in the hope that helps a bit.

cheers_drive

brakes – Member
    maybe get out of the boot next time, or perhaps the sunroof.

😀

mrmo – that’s not a fair comparison though is it; of course you give way if the pedestrian or cyclist is in front of you coming up to a junction and never turn across one that you had just overtaken. In my case in your photograph the cyclist would have been out of shot to the right when I opened the door and was overtaking us on the inside.
    I’ll accept the guilty verdict with the extenuating circumstance of a shite bike lane design.

nickjb
    Free Member

I tend to use my bike light on strobe if I am going to be going through traffic in the hope that helps a bit.

Makes it worse IMO.

lightman
    Free Member

I should’ve made it clear that I only do that during the day, I would never use strobe when its dark as that would just blind people.
    I actually used my strobe yesterday to stop a head-on as someone thought they’d drive through me as they tried to overtake a bus on my side of the road!

amedias
    Free Member

I’ll accept the guilty verdict with the extenuating circumstance of a shite bike lane design.

so you’ll be reporting it to the local highways/council then as being unsafe and needing attention? 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

cheers_drive, but if the person on the pavement is jogging and your in slow traffic they could easily be moving faster than you.

Yes it is a crap design of bike lane, but drivers and passengers really have to be aware that there are other people around who can move faster than they do.

spooky_b329

Turning left across a bike lane? Its not a crap design if you treat it the same as trying to turn left from the outside lane of a dual carriageway! Or turning left across a bus lane.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘opened car door into path of cyclist this morning’ is closed to new replies.