Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Open Water Swimming
  • damo2576
    Free Member

So I’ve been doing a little bit of pool swimming and getting really into it, doing the whole TI thing with a coach every couple of weeks. Living by the sea I’ve always fancied that and just taken the plunge and bought a wetsuit.

So, any tips for sea swimming in general?

Any any tips about how to manage stuff if I want to run straight after, i.e. straight out of sea, changing, shorts etc etc?

rp16v
    Free Member

did u get a wetsuit or tri suit? as i belive the cut and strechyness in certain panels is very difrent
    have a search on youtube for transitions it really helped me when i was preping for my first try a tri il be doing a couple more to get my swim up to par then go for open/lake swim currentley im using a vest padded trisuit that i do the whole event in but thats only pool swims.

damo2576
    Free Member

Its a proper swimming/tri one! Will do some research on transitions etc, cheers! Quite looking forward to giving it all a go…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sorry are you saying you want to enter a triathlon??? If so, as you get out of the water pull the neck of the wetsuit forward and flood it with water this will help it pulling it off quickly down to the waste. you need to lubricate the ankles and wrists to assist in pulling it off quickly (if that’s what you want). End of season now though so get prparing for next year, hundreds out there of differing lengths, pool, OW etc and I guarantee you become addicted. If you live byt hte sea I imagine you realise that OW swimmign is very different to pool swimming? you need to learn to sight.

TomB

I swim a bit in the Lakes and the sea. I find it absolutely fantastic, both for the body and soul! (don’t really swim in the pool). Sea knowledge is important- tidal flow and range, how currents change as the swell gets bigger etc all important. Make sure someone knows where you are and when you’ll be out. You can get a floating buoy with a ‘diver in the water’ flag to tow behind you as you’re almost invisible in any swell. I haven’t got one but I don’t swim in any traffic. I find it easier to breath facing away from the waves if swimming across the prevailing swell, helps if you can breath both sides comfortably.

Edit- oh, and it’s much easier in a wetsuit with the extra buoyancy, you can pretty much stop anytime and just float horizontally gazing at the sky/mountains/whatever!

damo2576
    Free Member

Thanks, all useful advice. Not planning on a tri yet but obviously at the back of my mind, cycling and running is fine, just need to work on swimming. Do fancy running directly after a swim, hence the question.
    Good points re sea knowledge, used to surf so utmost respect for sea! Will double check local conditions but think where I am pretty safe.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Enjoy it damo!! But avoid debates about TI and OW swimming at all costs. They make STW trolling look innocuous!!!

damo2576
    Free Member

Already stumbled onto a few of those!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Open Water Swimming’ is closed to new replies.