Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Open water swim / Aqua bike
  • GENESIS_IO_2002
    Free Member

Hi ya
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced an open water swim without a wet suit. I have looking to do an aquabike in the Cotswolds at the weekend. Never done an open water swim at all, yet alone without a wet suit.
    Your experiences please….

noltae
    Free Member

I used to open water swim a few times a week – but the quarry I used to do it in clamped down on it – really felt the health benefits – a wet suit would I believe compromise the experience – I managed to get acclimated to the water temperatures through the seasons to the point I swam New Year’s Day whilst it was snowing – one feels amazing when you dry off – gives you a really healthy glow .. But if your not too comfortable without the wet suit wear one maybe for the first couple of times ..

teef
    Free Member

You go much faster in a wet suit as you float slightly higher in the water due to it’s buoyancy. Water temp should be OK this time of year (20C) but swimming straight between the buoys takes a bit of practice. See if you can get an open water session in before the race.

Gotama
    Free Member

It’s a lot easier swimming in a wetsuit. I’m assuming you’re very comfortable with the swim distance so if you don’t mind getting into what I would call ‘kin cold water* then go for it. Swimming around the buoys isn’t that hard, you just have to look up every now and then. If you’re a relatively proficient swimmer then you should be fairly even with your stroke and I assume its a lake so no current to worry about.

* I am complete pansy at swimming in cold water, the local outdoor unheated pool is challenge enough.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

a wet suit would I believe compromise the experience

absolute rubbish. for anything other than dipping your toe in and claiming you have swum a good swim specific wetsuit is an amazing bit of kit that enables you to go further, longer and faster.

giant_scum
    Free Member

As gav said, wetsuit is better for beginners as they do help a lot and maybe increases confidence a bit.
    Personally I find them restrictive and the chaffeing on the neck I can do without.
    Water temperature in the lake will be dependant on depth and how long the water is in the sun daily!

noltae
    Free Member

I’ll concede that a wet suit augments performance and in a competitive event I’d probably wear one myself but if one is just in it for the experience of swimming in a natural environment I wouldn’t bother – Cold water is a great fat burner and also great for circulation. Each to their own – you could even wear a dry suit if it works for you .. I get a buzz out of bracing one’s self for the initial shock of the cold – takes one’s breath away momentarily and pushes you to really work hard through your strokes ..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Open water swim / Aqua bike’ is closed to new replies.